Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

1 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Looking for Advice on using an RHP

On my continuous adventure to get my surface temps, ambient temp and humidity correct, I've been speaking w/ BOB @ ProProducts about introducing a RHP. Currently, I have two UTHs controlled by a Herpstat2 but the ambient temp has been in the mid 70s. I've since started to heat the room w/ a wall mounted A/C unit which has helped tremendously but it doesn't seem like the most cost effective route.

Bob suggested a 50 watt panel which will span 2/3 of the length of my pvc enclosure (36x12x12) and mentioned that it would replace both UTHs. From reading this forum, it seems a UTH will still be needed under the hot side when a Hide is involved (which I would assume most BP owners would have). Does the RHP get mounted towards to the hot side to create the temp gradient?

Where does the Tstat Probe go and how is it attached (i.e tape?) Is it easy to get the temps dialed in? I remember spending a considerable amount of time getting my UTH temps dialed when there was no time pressure because it was pre-snake.

Any suggestions on drilling holes into existing pvc enclosure? I'll need some screw holes as well as Tstat probe and RHP cord holes.

Sorry for all the questions, but a little nervous about the unknown. Or is this easier then I'm making it out to be.

Also, still having the high humidity issues (90%) and I believe someone mentioned an RHP could potentially help w/ this.

Thanks

Re: Looking for Advice on using an RHP

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Bob suggested a 50 watt panel which will span 2/3 of the length of my pvc enclosure (36x12x12) and mentioned that it would replace both UTHs. From reading this forum, it seems a UTH will still be needed under the hot side when a Hide is involved (which I would assume most BP owners would have). Does the RHP get mounted towards to the hot side to create the temp gradient?
    With the RHP you shouldn't need the UTH. The RHP will radiate heat that will be absorbed by objects in your enclosure. The RHP will be mounted towards the hot side to get your gradient.

Where does the Tstat Probe go and how is it attached (i.e tape?) Is it easy to get the temps dialed in? I remember spending a considerable amount of time getting my UTH temps dialed when there was no time pressure because it was pre-snake.
    Different people will have different answers for this. I personally put my probe on the cool side. I've found this creates smaller temperature fluctuations. I have a hole drilled in the back of the enclosure and the probe just dangles in. I have it secured on the outside so it cannot be pulled in our out of the enclosure.

Any suggestions on drilling holes into existing pvc enclosure? I'll need some screw holes as well as Tstat probe and RHP cord holes.
    It's pretty easy to drill through PVC. Not sure what your mechanical ability is, but the hardest part will be mounting the RHP to the top of the enclosure. If you've got nothing on top, you'll be find to run a bolt through the RHP mounting locations inside of the enclosure and use a washer and nut on the outside to fasten it.

Also, still having the high humidity issues (90%) and I believe someone mentioned an RHP could potentially help w/ this.
    One of the reasons your temperature is so high is because your ambient temperature is so low. Bringing the ambient up will reduce your humidity. The RHP will increase your ambient temperature, depending on the objects in your enclosure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Different people will have different answers for this. I personally put my probe on the cool side. I've found this creates smaller temperature fluctuations. I have a hole drilled in the back of the enclosure and the probe just dangles in. I have it secured on the outside so it cannot be pulled in our out of the enclosure.
    So can you give me an example what temp you have your tStat set to? I've heard of some people setting theirs lower then the temperature they want to achieve on the surface because of the heat absorption that occurs.

It's pretty easy to drill through PVC. Not sure what your mechanical ability is, but the hardest part will be mounting the RHP to the top of the enclosure. If you've got nothing on top, you'll be find to run a bolt through the RHP mounting locations inside of the enclosure and use a washer and nut on the outside to fasten it.
    I figured it would be easy to go through the pvc. Just wasn't sure if I needed a special drill bit or sealant once the hole is drilled. And I have nothing on top of the enclosure other then the Herpstat and some temp gauges.

One of the reasons your temperature is so high is because your ambient temperature is so low. Bringing the ambient up will reduce your humidity. The RHP will increase your ambient temperature, depending on the objects in your enclosure.
    I follow you on this but my humidity has always been high even when my ambient has been around 80. I've changed out my substrate to newspaper but nothing seems to help other then opening the enclosure door and allowing air to circulate. I would hate to add additional air vents next to the 4 slats which exist on both sides.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks

So can you give me an example what temp you have your tStat set to? I've heard of some people setting theirs lower then the temperature they want to achieve on the surface because of the heat absorption that occurs.
    You'll need to play around with the setting, but you're essentially controlling the cool side temp. Play around with the setting until you get a desirable temp on your warm side. It will take time - could be a day or two.

I figured it would be easy to go through the pvc. Just wasn't sure if I needed a special drill bit or sealant once the hole is drilled.
    Regular bit works. No sealant required.

I follow you on this but my humidity has always been high even when my ambient has been around 80. I've changed out my substrate to newspaper but nothing seems to help other then opening the enclosure door and allowing air to circulate. I would hate to add additional air vents next to the 4 slats which exist on both sides
    I use reptichip. For me it's usually very high after changing out the substrate and it takes several days for the humidity to come down. Not sure why yours would be so high with newspaper substrate. Your only water source should be the water. Make sure the water is not over any of your heat sources to reduce the amount of evaporation you're getting.

Thanks

You'll need to play around with the setting, but you're essentially controlling the cool side temp. Play around with the setting until you get a desirable temp on your warm side. It will take time - could be a day or two.

Regular bit works. No sealant required.

I use reptichip. For me it's usually very high after changing out the substrate and it takes several days for the humidity to come down. Not sure why yours would be so high with newspaper substrate. Your only water source should be the water. Make sure the water is not over any of your heat sources to reduce the amount of evaporation you're getting.
    A day or two to get the settings in place? Is that ok w/ the BP in the cage? I guess as long as I'm not maxing out the temps he should be ok while I experiment.

I was using reptichip but I had moisture accumulating on the glass and walls and humidity was spiked at 99%. The water dish is situated in the middle of the enclosure and I don't think it's over either of the 11x11 UTHs I have on each side.
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 09-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks

A day or two to get the settings in place? Is that ok w/ the BP in the cage? I guess as long as I'm not maxing out the temps he should be ok while I experiment.

I was using reptichip but I had moisture accumulating on the glass and walls and humidity was spiked at 99%. The water dish is situated in the middle of the enclosure and I don't think it's over either of the 11x11 UTHs I have on each side.
    Yeah, I've had water on the glass from Reptichip. Use less water when breaking it apart. It takes several days to clear up. I barely use any water now when breaking up my bricks.

I suppose if you slowly dial the temp up, giving the RHP time to get the enclosure to temp, you should be ok with your snake in the enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Appreciate the education on using an RHP. I guess I just need to decide if it's worth the monetary investment and hassle of unhooking my current arrangement and installing the new RHP. I'm kind of 50/50 on it right now mainly due to the unknowns (ease of getting my temps and humidity dialed in) and how long my snake will be using this 36x12x12 enclosure. I've had the enclosure for 1-2 months now (BP approx 200 grams) but I feel like it's not deep enough because there's not much room in front of the hide to work with.