Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

2 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheezing ball?

Thanks

Wheezing ball?

So I've been handling one of my snakes recently and I heard her wheezing, so I put her back and let her just chill out because I thought she was stressed. The next few times I go to handle her she's wheezing worse and I don't know why. She is acting completely normal, no bubbles in her nose or mouth, she's still taking food, and she's still acting the same as she always does. Any thoughts?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Are you sure it's wheezing and not huffing or hissing?

Thanks

Re: Wheezing ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    Are you sure it's wheezing and not huffing or hissing?
    I don't know, its just a whistling sound when she breathes. My other snake doesn't do it

Thanks

Sometimes my snakes will make faint puffing or whistling noises when they're moving around on my arm or straining to move over something. If I open their cages and they don't wanna be messed with they'll let out a little hiss. However, last year I did have one develop an RI when the power went out in a snow storm and neither I or my roommate were home to keep them warm. He never had any bubbling or drooling but his breathing was a little wheezy and kept getting louder and more frequent and he made popping noises. I took him to the vet and had him swabbed and sure enough he was sick. If the wheezing you're describing has shown a pattern of getting worse or louder I'd take him to a vet just to be safe even if there aren't any bubbles or drooling.

When you do go, demand an oral swab test. I had to go through a lot of supposed "reptile" vets before I found a reputable once who would do the swab and knew what they were talking about. If the snake is sick, they'll probably give you injectable antibiotics according to what bacteria is cultured. A lot of vets will just give you injectable baytril and won't do the swab but don't let that happen. Baytril may be the correct antibiotic that the bacteria type is susceptible to but you won't know that without a culture and injecting useless antibiotics will just make the situation worse.
    Last edited by Damariscotta; 09-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damariscotta View Post
    Sometimes my snakes will make faint puffing or whistling noises when they're moving around on my arm or straining to move over something. If I open their cages and they don't wanna be messed with they'll let out a little hiss. However, last year I did have one develop an RI when the power went out in a snow storm and neither I or my roommate were home to keep them warm. He never had any bubbling or drooling but his breathing was a little wheezy and kept getting louder and more frequent and he made popping noises. I took him to the vet and had him swabbed and sure enough he was sick. If the wheezing you're describing has shown a pattern of getting worse or louder I'd take him to a vet just to be safe even if there aren't any bubbles or drooling.

When you do go, demand an oral swab test. I had to go through a lot of supposed "reptile" vets before I found a reputable once who would do the swab and knew what they were talking about. If the snake is sick, they'll probably give you injectable antibiotics according to what bacteria is cultured. A lot of vets will just give you injectable baytril and won't do the swab but don't let that happen. Baytril may be the correct antibiotic that the bacteria type is susceptible to but you won't know that without a culture and injecting useless antibiotics will just make the situation worse.
    Okay thanks, I'll take her in

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...d-Exotics-Vets

Here's a good list to look at if you're looking for a reliable place to go.

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...d-Exotics-Vets

Here's a good list to look at if you're looking for a reliable place to go.
    Geez thank you so much, this is very helpful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannabebreeder View Post
    Geez thank you so much, this is very helpful

No problem I just remember how stressful it was for me when mine got sick and I went and paid for two different vets to see my snake who didn't do anything for me before I found that list and went to one that was good.
    Last edited by Damariscotta; 09-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

No problem I just remember how stressful it was for me when mine got sick and I went and paid for two different vets to see my snake who didn't do anything for me before I found that list and went to one that was good.
    I got SUPER lucky and went to SEAVS (Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services). It's the only place I've ever been, and one of the vets there is a ball python breeder! It's super nice to have someone who knows what they're talking about

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks

Could it have stuck shed in a nostril? Mine did once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast