Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

4 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny baby..

Thanks

Skinny baby..

I recently ordered two Ball Pythons and received them on Sept 5th. One looks healthy and has already eaten for me ans The other baby is so tiny and has a triangular shape to her and refuses to eat. I know it's only been a week but she is so tiny it worries me.. I have her in a 6qt tub, humidity is around 60-70%, her hot side is around 88-90 and the ambient temp has fluctuated from 73-78. The first pic is from morph market, The second two are from the day I got her. Today when i opened her tub she had loose skin around her neck and tail. I also saw that there was a tiny poo ans something else that looked more runny. Ive tried feeding her a live hopper and see seems terrified.. She balls up and hides her face.. then I left a f/t hopper in her tub over night and she never ate it. Is there anything else I can do for her? I know leaving her alone to acclimate is best but with how small she look I'm so worried..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Skinny baby..

Try not to disturb her for a solid week. Then try to offer her a mouse hopper again. Don't keep putting food in front of her often because if she is already stressed, it may continue to stress her more.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-14-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-14-2017),L.West (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Kind of disgusted that anybody would sell a snake in that condition.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101
    That should help.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-14-2017),L.West (09-14-2017)

Thanks

I'm going to leave her alone.. I did for the first 5 days and expected her to be dead by the time I finally got to open her tub again . . I did read the 101 and it's very informative.. I turned the thermostat down on her hot side down so now it's sitting around 88 and the ambient temp is ALMOST there.. still a little low for my likingbut t she has a small hide that touches her back and a water dish..i just didn't know at what point I should intervene and assist feed. I know it's soon I just don't know how much longer she will last. When I got her she weighed about 40 grams..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Also, I don't know what type of hide you are using but I would get a cardboard paper towel end and plug up one end with paper towels so there is only one way in and one way out. A super security hide that does wonders for a hatchlings sense of security.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-14-2017),Godzilla78 (09-14-2017),SiXandSeven8ths (09-14-2017)

Thanks

I have a pop tart box that was cut in half. I cut it so it sits very low and touches her back. She also has aspen so she can borrow. I'll add the paper towel roll in a week when I try to feed her again
    Last edited by Wkhinson; 09-14-2017 at 10:41 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wkhinson For This Useful Post:

BPSnakeLady (09-16-2017),Godzilla78 (09-14-2017)

Thanks

I've been in a similar situation. My nine week old ball python's health was threatened by his lack of protein. He wouldn't eat anything for three weeks and weighed as much as a hatchling.. I went to my amazing vet and she recommended that I assist feed f/t until he ate on his own. If I hadn't done that, my snake might not have made it.

If you're sure it's not your husbandry or a health problem, then I would recommend assist feeding before she becomes too underweight.

To you people who say to never assist feed, I assist fed my snake twice and now he is eating on his own.. like a pig 😂

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joci For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joci View Post
    I've been in a similar situation. My nine week old ball python's health was threatened by his lack of protein. He wouldn't eat anything for three weeks and weighed as much as a hatchling.. I went to my amazing vet and she recommended that I assist feed f/t until he ate on his own. If I hadn't done that, my snake might not have made it.

If you're sure it's not your husbandry or a health problem, then I would recommend assist feeding before she becomes too underweight.

To you people who say to never assist feed, I assist fed my snake twice and now he is eating on his own.. like a pig 😂
    That's great that your ball python eventually responded to assist feedings. However no one here says never assist feed. Most of us agree that it's a last resort for a animal that is built to feed himself as long as the proper enviornment is provided and the animal isn't ill or injured. Actually a tube feeding is more appropriate for a animal that is confirmed non feeding over a extended period of time and has or is showing signs of dehydration and poor nutritional status. That is bc in a starving type of presentation, fluids should always precede solid foods. Even diluted pedialite solution as a option for drinking and soaking should precede assist feeding.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

I also agree with assist feeding as a last resort..but I've just never had a ball python look this way when i received it.. I'm not sure when 'last resort' should be since I've only had her a week.. I have no idea how long she has looked like this before I got her and my three other snakes are thriving in their environment. Which is the same setup as her's, only larger. I'm very torn. I want to at least give it another week but If she dies in the mean time i know I'll beat my self up over it for waiting. Id love to bring her to a vet but she is obviously stressed out from her journey here , i still can't decide of that is the best option

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    That's great that your ball python eventually responded to assist feedings. However no one here says never assist feed. Most of us agree that it's a last resort for a animal that is built to feed himself as long as the proper enviornment is provided and the animal isn't ill or injured. Actually a tube feeding is more appropriate for a animal that is confirmed non feeding over a extended period of time and has or is showing signs of dehydration and poor nutritional status. That is bc in a starving type of presentation, fluids should always precede solid foods. Even diluted pedialite solution as a option for drinking and soaking should precede assist feeding.
    I see what you're saying, and I agree that if the snake is dehydrated, then fluids should come first and tube feeding is sometimes more appropriate. I'm just trying to avoid having anyone wait too long before considering that last resort of assist feeding

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joci For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-14-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast