Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

2 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I agree that feral cats are a problem.

It all starts with people letting their cats "roam", because "that's what cats do". No, it is not. They do NOT belong "in the wild". They aren't indigenous to our country. And they sure as heck shouldn't be running around all over neighborhoods and cities.

The only way I see it as "ok" to have outside cats, is if they are barn cats, which usually stay on the farm and actually have a job. And usually are taken care off, fixed, etc. (the ones with good owners)

It drives me crazy when people just let their cat out "cause it wants to". Those cats end up marking other peoples homes, peeing and pooping in other peoples gardens, hunting wild birds, etc. And usually they don't get to old, because sooner or later something gets them, they get run over or they die from disease. Their are no vaccinations for some pretty bad cat diseases. On top of that many of those cats aren't fixed. And many get thrown out and abandoned. Its a real problem.

That said, if I come across a kitten that needs rescue, I rescue it. I can't just walk by. Within the last few years I've rescued 9. All of those were in bad shape, a couple near death for days. But once I pick them up, I become responsible for them. Each and every one of them got taken care of the right way. They have Vet care. They were tested for diseases. I nursed them back to health. Some needed bottle feedings. They were spayed/neutered/vaccinated AND after that I did all I could to find the best of homes, which isn't easy, because there are more "free" kittens then one can count. Each of those cats is still with their owners today and they are beloved pets. The oldest is now 6 years old.

I do have to say, those kittens that I saved ended up with the BEST temperaments that I have seen in cats. I'm not a cat person at all, but I did end up keeping one of them. Jack was one of the ones near death. It was touch and go for days. Not much hope. To make him survive I had to force feed him. Fast forward 3 years later and he is a gorgeous cat with the most unique and best temperament ever. That cat adores me. I haven't seen such loyalty in a dog (and I'm a dog person) . I think he thinks the sun rises and sets on me. It is the weirdest thing. I figured he would hate me, I had to force feed him (which he hated) and I was the one that introduced discipline and training to him. I don't believe cats can't be trained. I don't abide biting in cats or scratching. He comes when called, which is to funny. He is the cuddliest and most affectionate cat ever. I can do anything to him. As a matter of fact, I dremmel his nails and he lays in my lap as I do it. He will come into the backyard with us at times, stay right by us and the dogs, and then come back inside with us. He never even goes near the fence, ever. He loves my dogs and plays with them and everybody that stays at my house falls in love with him and can't believe there is such a cat as him. You couldn't buy a cat like this with all the money.

All of my rescues ended up wonderful pets. Far nicer then all the pedigree cats I've come across. My latest rescue was another one that was beyond rough, but boy, did he turn out wonderful and he is at a wonderful home. I made a facebook page for him to let people join in his progress. He was one of the hardest to give up EVER. We got ever so attached to him. As small and in terrible shape he was in, he was the sweetest. NO FEAR in him, absolutely wonderful with all my dogs AND my cat. He just made himself at home, all of the handful that he was, with one eye busted, and another eye injured. If anyone would like to see little Frodo.. https://www.facebook.com/luckyfrodo/...homepage_panel

So long story short. I think feral cats are a terrible problem, but I blame irresponsible owners to have started this problem and keeping it going. As fast as ferals are getting trapped and fixed, new ones are being created by people that don't give a ..... !
    However, if a kitten is found and helped in time, they can make great pets.

If those 4 kittens actually ran across the streets, then they were old enough to be on their own and most likely would have been difficult to tame. They will make it, or not. But not much you could have done about it, they are very difficult to catch. But I think it is great that you care..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dadofsix (09-18-2017),distaff (09-18-2017),Monty44 (09-18-2017)