Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,968

3 members and 1,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Expensive Females!

Quote Originally Posted by ddbjdealer
    I'm going through the same problems/questions right now, here's what I've found.

If you buy a normal female, you would have to have a Co-Dom or Dom trait male to mate with her as het recessives bred with normals will only produce normals. Albino is a recessive trait, so you would need two hets to produce albinos. Doms are exactly the opposite, pricewise, from recessives. The males are usually more in demand because you can have 1 het or homo male and breed him to multiple normal females in a season and get about 50% morphs and the other 50% will be 100% hets.

You're right, the genetics is REALLY confusing... and I'm not even sure I just explained it properly. (Adam, Others, back me up on this please )
    Not entirely correct. Here is what i learnt from various resources

For simple recessive traits, the possible outcome of het(father) x normal(mother)l is 50% hets (normal looking offsprings) and 50% normal. You dont get any homo here, you will need to breed the hets back to the father to get albino, that is if the hets are indeed hets.

For Co Dom/Dom traits, its alot different. For easier interpretation, the hets = Co-Dom and homo = Dom. Lets take Pastel for example. Pastels are actually hets for Super Pastel (homo). The possible outcome for het (which is pastel) x normal, is 50% hets(pastel) and 50% normals. Same thing here, you dont get any homo offsprings, you will need to breed the hets back to the father to get Super Pastel(homo). The difference here is that you dont need to second guess the hets as they are visually different from their normal sibs.
    Last edited by kraniumz; 08-29-2005 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks

I seem to plug my genetics page a lot, but see if this helps a little. I tried to make it in as layman of terms as possible.
    http://www.geocities.com/bait4snake/genetics.html
    It might be hard to find Het (Morph) female cuz everyone hangs on to theirs, so sometimes the best thing is to buy a few normal females, then a het or homo male and make your own. It might take more time, but your stock will be your own and you'll have a large colony to work with. This also helps when you have little cash and you're in it for the fun.
    MY WHITE BALLS
    Specializing in white phase ball python mutations, along with all their friends.

Follow me on Facebook:
    https://m.facebook.com/MyWhiteBallsAndFriends/

See what's available:
    http://www.morphmarket.com/stores/mywhiteballs/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bait4snake
    This also helps when you have little cash and you're in it for the fun.
    Why else would anyone be "in it"? ... LOL ... Surely not for the money! ... LOL ... Most of the people that jump in thinking they're going to make money breeding snakes don't last very long.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Why else would anyone be "in it"? ... LOL ... Surely not for the money! ... LOL ... Most of the people that jump in thinking they're going to make money breeding snakes don't last very long.

-adam
    I for one am hoping to make SOME money! I know I won't become rich but while breeding is fun, nobody wants to just throw money out the window.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    I for one am hoping to make SOME money! I know I won't become rich but while breeding is fun, nobody wants to just throw money out the window.
    I wouldn't go as far as to see you'll be throwing money out the window, but contrary to some popular beliefs very few people ever make enough money to be able to quit their "real jobs" and breed snakes full time.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

I wouldn't go as far as to see you'll be throwing money out the window, but contrary to some popular beliefs very few people ever make enough money to be able to quit their "real jobs" and breed snakes full time.

-adam

Yeah..I doubt that will happen for me. I enjoy my career though and am not looking to get out of it quite yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Yeah..I doubt that will happen for me. I enjoy my career though and am not looking to get out of it quite yet.
    Exactly ... therefore, you've got to be in it for the fun first and foremost. Of course there's some money to be made, but with all of the work involved in raising them, cleaning them, breeding them, incubating eggs, hatching babies, starting babies, sales, & shipping, if you're not having fun, the "extra cash" that you'll make won't really seem worth it.

Do what you love and love what you do!

-adam

Registered User HelicopterPilot's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm ,since breeding won't usually be a "job" I am looking to be a herpotologist. I am going to study in that field

Thanks

Exactly ... therefore, you've got to be in it for the fun first and foremost. Of course there's some money to be made, but with all of the work involved in raising them, cleaning them, breeding them, incubating eggs, hatching babies, starting babies, sales, & shipping, if you're not having fun, the "extra cash" that you'll make won't really seem worth it.

Do what you love and love what you do!

-adam

Most of the people that get into breeding morphs, started out with normals.
    So I'd have to say they have some sort of passion towards the snakes to begin with.
    Also, I don't think it's even possible to quit your day job to breed Ball Pythons, do to the fact that they dont lay eggs all year round, and you need some sort of income to feed yourself and the snakes.

Main reason I got into Ball Python morphs was for the love of them, and the "extra money" I make will go into expanding my collection ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    Most of the people that get into breeding morphs, started out with normals.
    So I'd have to say they have some sort of passion towards the snakes to begin with.
    Also, I don't think it's even possible to quit your day job to breed Ball Pythons, do to the fact that they dont lay eggs all year round, and you need some sort of income to feed yourself and the snakes.

Main reason I got into Ball Python morphs was for the love of them, and the "extra money" I make will go into expanding my collection ...

Agreed! The extra money and then some will go into expanding my collection in my case!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12