Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

1 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question What was your first herp?

I was just lurking around the forum as usual, when I suddenly had a question pop into my head... "I wonder what all these people's first herps were..." So here I am asking.

So tell us! What was YOUR first herp? How'd/Why'd you get them? And was it difficult to handle as your first addition to your collection? I'd love to hear!

I'm new here, but I've been pretty active. You may have seen my thread on him, but my first-herp-to-be is a 1.0 Fire Genetic Stripe ball python! Love 'em so much, his name is Dewey. I was able to get him through months of easing my family into reptiles and hours, I mean HOURS of research to convince my parents that I could handle the responsibility and that he would even be beneficial to me. I wanted a snake because sometimes I can be very stressed and animals always help me with that, plus ball pythons fit my schedule perfectly and aren't extremely hard to care for. Besides, what ISN'T cool/interesting about owning a reptile? So here I am! Obviously I can't tell you if he's going to be a challenge yet, but I am very confident in myself and my knowledge, plus I always have this forum to ask any questions :3.

Thanks a bunch, can't wait to find out!
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: What was your first herp?

My first was an anerytheristic corn snake like 22 years ago. Took me well over a year of pestering my mother with relentless, constant research and snake talk before she gave in and got me "Spot" for xmas when I was 10yrs old and I've always had snakes since then. Always have been drawn to reptiles, especially snakes. I'll keep them until the day I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    My first was an anerytheristic corn snake like 22 years ago. Took me well over a year of pestering my mother with relentless, constant research and snake talk before she gave in and got me "Spot" for xmas when I was 10yrs old and I've always had snakes since then. Always have been drawn to reptiles, especially snakes. I'll keep them until the day I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome, man! Who hasn't pestered their mother for something at 10 years old? Lol. I hope to expand my collection when I'm older too, there's some reptiles I really wish I could keep but can't at the moment due to space/money. Thanks a bunch for sharing though! Corns are cuties too :3
    Dewey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Turtles and Anoles can't remember which was first. I was just a little kid. We called the anoles chameleons, for some reason, but I remember them distinctly. That was back in the day when Woolworth's had a pet section at the back of the store. They sold birds, fish, little turtles. I had what was probably a five gallon clear plastic container with several turtles. Needless to say, they didn't survive long. Neither did any goldfish.

The "chameleons" came from a "real" pet store. No mention of heat nor lighting when we purchased them. I remember despairing because they refused the meal worms I tried to feed them. They soon escaped their enclosure, and I was too upset to tell my mother.
    Last edited by distaff; 09-10-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    My first foray into exotics were agamas and tortoises that I caught and kept. My first purchased reptile was a ball python.

Thanks
    I had an anole when I was a young teen. Decided then I disliked crickets a lot and I never wanted a pet that ate them again lol. Early this year I met my current GF and she had a normal BP. I immediately thought he was the coolest thing the first time I held him lol. So, a few months later I bought my very own BP. He is a male Banana Pastave.

Thanks

35 yrs ago, when I was 8; I got my 1st herp... a king snake. It was something I caught on an outting w my Dad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Turtles and Anoles can't remember which was first. I was just a little kid. We called the anoles chameleons, for some reason, but I remember them distinctly. That was back in the day when Woolworth's had a pet section at the back of the store. They sold birds, fish, little turtles. I had what was probably a five gallon clear plastic container with several turtles. Needless to say, they didn't survive long. Neither did any goldfish.

The "chameleons" came from a "real" pet store. No mention of heat nor lighting when we purchased them. I remember despairing because they refused the meal worms I tried to feed them. They soon escaped their enclosure, and I was too upset to tell my mother.
    hahah, "chameleons". Cute. Poor babies, I hate when pet shops don't do what they're supposed to -3-. Thanks for sharing though!
    Dewey

Thanks
    My first was a red eared slider named Rudy, I got him when I was around 7 or 8. I (and neither did my parents) did not know anything about proper care for Rudy. He was kept in a glass aquarium, probably 20 gallons. He never had a water heater, filtration, basking light or a basking dock. Knowing all this I'm surprised he lived as long as he did with us. I had him for 3-4 years. He was quite messy and after time I neglected changing his water. My mom had a friend who lost a pet, a rabbit I believe. She was heartbroken and given that I was not being responsible with Rudy's care my mom gave Rudy to her friend. Lesson learned, don't buy pets for kids without the knowledge that the parent will more than likely have to care for the pet.
    Last edited by RamMac; 09-11-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MmmBanana View Post
    I had an anole when I was a young teen. Decided then I disliked crickets a lot and I never wanted a pet that ate them again lol. Early this year I met my current GF and she had a normal BP. I immediately thought he was the coolest thing the first time I held him lol. So, a few months later I bought my very own BP. He is a male Banana Pastave.
    awesome! BP's are great aren't they? The first ball python I ever held was a spinner blast a belive, he was pretty shy. Hm, I've never fed any animal cricket before. Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    35 yrs ago, when I was 8; I got my 1st herp... a king snake. It was something I caught on an outting w my Dad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    aw, that's so a awesome that you got to spend time with your dad and get your first herp at the same time!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randall L Turner Jr View Post
    My first foray into exotics were agamas and tortoises that I caught and kept. My first purchased reptile was a ball python.
    Nice!
    Dewey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast