Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Recommended Rheostats/Dimmers?

Hello! So I posted a thread yesterday and it was sorted out that I should get a rheostat/dimmer for my CHE. Do you guys have a specific one you recommend? I was looking at the zoomed one with the switch-thingy already on it but there were some reviews saying it just randomly stopped working. That being said I need you guys to maybe tell me what you use/what you've seen people use.

thanks a bunch!
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Recommended Rheostats/Dimmers?

If it's just a dimmer you're looking for, as opposed to a thermostat that will self regulate your CHE, I would just get one from lowes/Home Depot/etc. Can be found in the lighting aisle and will do the same thing as a reptile marketed rheostat for a fraction of the price. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lutron-Creden...Dimmer/4462373

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    If it's just a dimmer you're looking for, as opposed to a thermostat that will self regulate your CHE, I would just get one from lowes/Home Depot/etc. Can be found in the lighting aisle and will do the same thing as a reptile marketed rheostat for a fraction of the price. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Lutron-Creden...Dimmer/4462373

That's what I was thinking about doing! There's a Home Depot locally so I figured that'd be the best bet. Now I'm more confident in doing that. Thanks so much!
    Dewey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-10-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGoat View Post
    That's what I was thinking about doing! There's a Home Depot locally so I figured that'd be the best bet. Now I'm more confident in doing that. Thanks so much!
    No problem. They work just the same as reptile brand dimmers, the big thing is that you'll need to keep a close eye on temps with your thermometer and tweak the dimmer to the right setting. It will also still fluctuate with temp changes in the room but as long as you're checking them a couple times a day it should work just fine

Thanks

No problem. They work just the same as reptile brand dimmers, the big thing is that you'll need to keep a close eye on temps with your thermometer and tweak the dimmer to the right setting. It will also still fluctuate with temp changes in the room but as long as you're checking them a couple times a day it should work just fine

Yup, I have my snake on hold currently so that I can have as much time as I need. It's a good thing my house temps don't fluctuate too much, my dad keeps the house pretty controlled. I will still be sure to watch it though.
    Dewey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGoat View Post
    Yup, I have my snake on hold currently so that I can have as much time as I need. It's a good thing my house temps don't fluctuate too much, my dad keeps the house pretty controlled. I will still be sure to watch it though.
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Read up on all the enclosure set up threads on here, make sure your temp gradient is good and that humidity is maintained and you'll have a happy snake. Don't hesitate to ask questions as they arise!

Thanks

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Read up on all the enclosure set up threads on here, make sure your temp gradient is good and that humidity is maintained and you'll have a happy snake. Don't hesitate to ask questions as they arise!

haha exactly why I joined! Thanks so much for your help again, it's really appreciated!
    Dewey

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-10-2017)

Thanks

Okay, update:

I got a Fluker's 8.5 inch Clamp lamp to hold the 100W since the 5.5 only goes to 75W. It has a ceramic socket, so we're all good there. Question though: If it okay if the dome isn't directly touching the mesh? It's too big to fit in the area, so its sitting ontop of the plastic that separates the pieces of mesh. Is this okay?? Here's some pics:

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/69020.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/79683.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

Wait what why aren't my pictures working?? Lol sorry about that, I did it last time without a problem.
    Dewey

Thanks

Should be fine. Exo Terra tank? You'll want to cover some of the top with plexiglass or something to hold humidity in, otherwise it will dry out very quickly

Thanks

Should be fine. Exo Terra tank? You'll want to cover some of the top with plexiglass or something to hold humidity in, otherwise it will dry out very quickly

Perfect, I was nervous. And yes it is an Exo-terra, my father and I are going to go to the hardware store again sometime this week to pick up some plexiglass after it was suggested to me in another thread. I had a towel on it but that's a fire hazard with the CHE so I was like "okay plexiglass it is" lol. But I'm so glad that I found a solution to this darn ambient/cool side temp problem. Just brings me closer to gettin' my baby home :3.

Thanks so much for the responses!
    Dewey