Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

2 members and 3,217 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

New guy, new to snakes.

Hey all, first time bp owner here. Just wanted to start a thread that chronicles my first Ball Python.
    I'm using a TGR rack systems single rack and tub hooked up to a Vivarium Electronics VE-200. The substrate I am using is Aspen, which is what is used by the breeder as I wanted to make sure his environment was similarly replicated to allow for an easy transition. Also his tub size is 9x21 which is close to what he was housed in.
    I bought the rack system and supplies prior to purchasing our little guy and unfortunately it took longer than expected to receive the set-up so the breeder held him for a month while I waited to receive it. I went through Gregory Exotics and he was INCREDIBLY nice and the communication through the entire process was top-notch! Our little guy is a beautiful Calico Spider, my wife and I (5 year daughter as well) fell in love with him at first sight and the wait was TOUGH but we just received him on Thursday! Unfortunately I was at work but my wife snapped a few pics while she unboxed him and got him settled into his new home.
    I had some frustrating moments since then trying to get my temps right, which was due to a variance between my heat tape/thermostat and actual interior tub temps. As of right now I am alot less stressed and more confident in my current settings to get my desired temperatures inside the tub. Although I am curious as to why there is such a large difference. I have my thermostat set to 110 and the hotspot inside the tub reads around 91 and the cool side at 79. I am using a Ryobi temp gun, which took some getting used to as far as the distance ratio and he is housed in an open rack design and the room he is in is around 75 degrees or higher. My wife insists that the ceiling fan be on so maybe that is one reason why there is such a variation.
    I have been checking the temps 2-3 times a day and monitor his behavior while I do so, we do not touch him during these checks and make it all about business. He didn't use his hide on Thursday or Friday but I did see him on the cool side of his tub 3 times since Thursday and the other times he was on the warm side which made me more comfortable with the temps. Yesterday, two out of the three times when I checked temps he was in his hide and peeked his head out and watched me. I was extremely happy about him using it! I also noticed that he pooped and peed, I assume he peed because the substrate was wet and I spot cleaned it right there and then.
    I plan to try to feed him tomorrow or Tuesday and I really hope he eats then soon we can start working up to holding him. He was a strong eater with his breeder and was eating live which I am going to try to continue. Here's to a happy Ball Python with a long life and a loving home!
    Here are a few pics of him from the breeder and while he has been with us.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misternewbie For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-02-2017),Blizzard (10-12-2017),se7en (09-12-2017),the_rotten1 (09-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Welcome

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I'm not typically a huge spider fan, but that calico spider is a gorgeous animal.

Thanks

Re: New guy, new to snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

I'm not typically a huge spider fan, but that calico spider is a gorgeous animal.
    Thanks! These past few days have been hard, especially for my daughter lol.

Thanks
    Gorgeous animal, welcome to the forum! I love caliders❤️

Where and how are you measuring your temps in the enclosure? On top of or below the substrate? The hot side tempuratures should always be measured below the substrate above the heat tape as this is the hottest point your snake can access. Generally there is a temp variance between what the thermostat reads and what the temperature in the enclosure is, that's completely normal as some heat is lost in the transfer from the heat tape through the plastic of the enclosure, and can be anywhere from ~3 to ~10 degrees in my experience. This is fine as long as the temperatures in the enclosure are kept ideal.
    Your rack being an open sided rack may let out more heat from the heat tape and cause the higher variance too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-02-2017)

Thanks

Welcome, beautiful snake!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sandi1961
    North Dakota, USA

1.0 Nuclear (butter/fire) 'Ramses'
    1.0 QueenSpin (lesser/pastel/pinstripe/spider) 'Seti'
    0.1 Pastel 'Cleopatra'
    0.1 Pastel Desert 'Wadjet'
    0.1 Leopard 'Nefertiti'
    0.1 Black Pastel Yellowbelly 'Anhk-Meri-Ra'
    0.1 BEL (super mojave) 'Isis'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Very nice. Congratulations on the critter and welcome.

Thanks
    Welcome, he is gorgeous!

Thanks

Measuring right where the heat tape sits, not on top of the substrate but the actual bottom of the tub. Thanks everyone! I'm actually more excited for my wife because she has been wanting a snake for a long time. A lot longer than myself.

Thanks
    O my he's beautiful, I've always loved the cute little spider faces! I normally don't like the high white sides as much but it looks really good on him. Congrats on getting him and welcome!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast