Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,435

1 members and 3,434 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

First feeding success! Now what?

Good news! Tapioca had his first meal! Turns out he's a shy eater and doesn't like the idea of anyone being in the same room. So I left his feeder overnight with the lights off and poof! No more mouse come morning.

Now my question is, how thorough can I be with spot checking now?

I've been trying not to be too invasive and haven't really messed with his cage except for water changes, temp checks and misting. I've done quick glances around for any waste but nothing that involves lifting hides to check if he's done his business in them. No findings so far.

At what point should I start checking if there is poop/pee in his hide or move things around? I'm guessing until he's atleast fully digested his food?

As for future feedings, I know I'm not out of the woods yet and I'll need two more feedings until I can verify he's a happy camper. I do want to convert him to rat soon. How soon do you think I can try? Considering how shy he is? Should I have his next two meals stay on mice just to make sure he's fully adjusted? Or should I try offering rat on his next feeding (or third)?
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-09-2017 at 02:40 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Starscream (09-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Since he just had his first meal, you probably won't have much spot cleaning to do anyway. I'd let him sit on that one for at least a few days. Depending on your bedding and sense of smell, you might be able to know with a good whiff. If you're using newspaper or paper towels, poop is pretty easy to smell. Pee will soak into a larger area and be pretty easy to recognize too, even if he does it in the hide. You might want to get into more of a routine before you try to convert to rats. Let that first milestone set in a bit before you try for the next.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-09-2017),MissterDog (09-09-2017),Zincubus (09-09-2017)

Thanks

Re: First feeding success! Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Good news! Tapioca had his first meal! Turns out he's a shy eater and doesn't like the idea of anyone being in the same room. So I left his feeder overnight with the lights off and poof! No more mouse come morning.

Now my question is, how thorough can I be with spot checking now?

I've been trying not to be too invasive and haven't really messed with his cage except for water changes, temp checks and misting. I've done quick glances around for any waste but nothing that involves lifting hides to check if he's done his business in them. No findings so far.

At what point should I start checking if there is poop/pee in his hide or move things around? I'm guessing until he's atleast fully digested his food?

As for future feedings, I know I'm not out of the woods yet and I'll need two more feedings until I can verify he's a happy camper. I do want to convert him to rat soon. How soon do you think I can try? Considering how shy he is? Should I have his next two meals stay on mice just to make sure he's fully adjusted? Or should I try offering rat on his next feeding (or third)?
    What a coincidence....wondering if it's where we got our BPs I've had three successful feeds and they've all been the 'walk away' and come back later and the mouse is gone. Although the 1st one, I had to remove the hide just to get to him and I actually saw the ending of the feeding ( a tail sticking out his mouth). The 2nd and 3rd, I woke up the next morning and the mouse was gone. The 3rd feeding was interesting because I walked down and he was sitting by the glass looking at the mouse thawing out. But once it was ready to be eaten, he was already back under his hide. Curious if this is gonna be a normal pattern for him.

As for cleaning, ect..... I've tried not to disturb him as best I could during these last three weeks. I've change the water and I 'think' I found a small poop in the substrate but I couldn't tell you if anything is waiting for me under his main hide. Which leads me to my question...since it sounds like it's time to start the handling process....does it matter if its in the day or night? I ask because I 'only' ever catch glimpses of him at night. During the day, he's hidden away.

Good luck!!!

FYI....I'm debating the switch over to rats as well. I'm also curious how much weight he's gained (if any) after 3 feedings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Since he just had his first meal, you probably won't have much spot cleaning to do anyway. I'd let him sit on that one for at least a few days. Depending on your bedding and sense of smell, you might be able to know with a good whiff. If you're using newspaper or paper towels, poop is pretty easy to smell. Pee will soak into a larger area and be pretty easy to recognize too, even if he does it in the hide. You might want to get into more of a routine before you try to convert to rats. Let that first milestone set in a bit before you try for the next.
    I admit the only reason I'm slightly concerned about checking for waste is because I know his last meal from his breeder was on August 24th before I got him on the 29th. So I'm not entirely sure when he'd be due on relieving himself, though I often heard they will hold it in until they've shed?

As for substrate I'm using reptichip so I'm hoping I'd be able to smell the deed lol. Maybe give him another solid week of no invesigating?

Thank you for the feedback! It's good to know I can take my time with him on the rats and let him stick with what's familiar to him for now. Less pressure on me haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    What a coincidence....wondering if it's where we got our BPs I've had three successful feeds and they've all been the 'walk away' and come back later and the mouse is gone. Although the 1st one, I had to remove the hide just to get to him and I actually saw the ending of the feeding ( a tail sticking out his mouth). The 2nd and 3rd, I woke up the next morning and the mouse was gone. The 3rd feeding was interesting because I walked down and he was sitting by the glass looking at the mouse thawing out. But once it was ready to be eaten, he was already back under his hide. Curious if this is gonna be a normal pattern for him.

As for cleaning, ect..... I've tried not to disturb him as best I could during these last three weeks. I've change the water and I 'think' I found a small poop in the substrate but I couldn't tell you if anything is waiting for me under his main hide. Which leads me to my question...since it sounds like it's time to start the handling process....does it matter if its in the day or night? I ask because I 'only' ever catch glimpses of him at night. During the day, he's hidden away.

Good luck!!!

FYI....I'm debating the switch over to rats as well. I'm also curious how much weight he's gained (if any) after 3 feedings.
    Haha I wonder too! Mine still ducks out of sight if he spots us peaking in on him whenever he pokes his head out of his hide. He does not like knowing we are around one bit, so I'm hoping the board I have covering the glass for him offers additional security and privacy.

When you found the suspected poop, did it give off any smell? I'm not sure how well the Reptibark will block out smells.

For handling, I often heard the time of day doesn't really matter (or is atleast debatable), but more of the surrounding environment being quiet and comfortable. Don't quote me on this yet! This is just what I recall being told/advised so maybe someone can clarify? Looking forward to seeing how your little one grows! It will be fun comparing our boys and seeing how they are similar/different as the weeks go by Let us know how your first handling session goes!

Thanks

Haha I wonder too! Mine still ducks out of sight if he spots us peaking in on him whenever he pokes his head out of his hide. He does not like knowing we are around one bit, so I'm hoping the board I have covering the glass for him offers additional security and privacy.

When you found the suspected poop, did it give off any smell? I'm not sure how well the Reptibark will block out smells.

For handling, I often heard the time of day doesn't really matter (or is atleast debatable), but more of the surrounding environment being quiet and comfortable. Don't quote me on this yet! This is just what I recall being told/advised so maybe someone can clarify? Looking forward to seeing how your little one grows! It will be fun comparing our boys and seeing how they are similar/different as the weeks go by Let us know how your first handling session goes!
    I think you'll find that in the next week or so your BP will start showing more of himself. Maybe becoming a little more confident in showing himself. At least I feel like mine has. Still a little shy when it comes to eating. I guess that's a good thing because the last thing I wanted was an aggressive bitey snake.

As for the poop smelling, I didn't really smell it. I was replacing my reptichip because of the high humidity issues and stumbled on a little black chunk of it. I'm hoping there's nothing hiding under the hide.

As for handling during the day, I've heard you need to make sure the snake knows your there because they could be sleeping and get startled by your presence. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully followed up with pics.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-09-2017)

Thanks
    Congrats on his eating! I've apparently had a complete anomaly in successfully switching from live mice to f/t mice to a f/t small rat so I won't give you any advice. I wish you the best! I feel kindred with you and tapioca because our boys are nearly twins.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTea For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-10-2017)

Thanks

Update: 3 Weeks later and we have a poop and it SMELLED! Hahah.....

I opened the cage door to let some fresh air in and something smelled a little odd. Knowing that I was going on vacation in two days, I decided to peel back some of the fake plants and there it was. Couldn't miss it....size and smell!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-12-2017)

Thanks
    Second feeding successful! Tapioca was VERY interested when his mouse was thawing this time. Instead of staying in his hide he actually came out smelling around for his mouse! However he's still shy, so when his mouse was ready he had already slinked back to his hide. So I left the mouse with him and this time it was gone within two hours!

I'm hoping this means he's getting a tiny bit more confident!
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-15-2017 at 01:14 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

GreenTea (09-15-2017),Starscream (09-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I think you'll find that in the next week or so your BP will start showing more of himself. Maybe becoming a little more confident in showing himself. At least I feel like mine has. Still a little shy when it comes to eating. I guess that's a good thing because the last thing I wanted was an aggressive bitey snake.
    You totally called it!

Still shy with eating but it's an improvement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast