Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Converting shoe shelf into a rack, need some advice

Hello, I've found a neat 4 tub shoe rack from the container store and am interested in turning it into a rack. Unfortunately for me, I only found it AFTER i had ordered some ultratherm heat pads. Otherwise i would have had custom heat tape made.. lol.

Anyways, I think this system could work but I need some tips from the pros. I currently do not have any BP's, this is why i am preparing now, so there'sno rush.
    How would I go about using the heat pads with this shelving system? I read somewhere on here (I've read so much info that its all melting together) That people tape on a type of backboard made of corrugated plastic to the heat pad. Do I need to do this?

I will post pictures as well to show what I am working with, and if anyone else fancies to do one of these as well.
    The tubs I have have little feet on the corners to raise them up a little. This shelving is made of melamine, my concern is heat build up from the heat pads is there a general spacing rule for these?

Another concern I have is how exactly do I mount the thermostat probe to the heat mat? And what should I do to stabilize it so the tub isn't lop-sided with the tstat probe under it?
    I have no problem modifiying the shelves witj a router or dremel to make things work, but i am not sure on how to go about it. Any tips or ideas would be wonderful.
    Thanks!

P.s. hope the pictures work, im new to using tapatalk app

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    How flimsy - or not - is the plastic the rack is made of? That top shelf looks like it has enough of a gap to allow an escape.

Thanks

Re: Converting shoe shelf into a rack, need some advice

The tub is stiffer than a regular sterilite, but not by a lot. I had same concern which is why i showed that angle. What is the usual height allowance?
    I could fix that gap easy enough, i left it as is because i do need space for the uth and probe for the middle shelf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk