Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,363

1 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Switching from live mice to Frozen/Thawed?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I think %15 is a good number to go by. so nothing bigger than %15 of the snakes body weight, I'm sure someone on here can verify that number. Maybe try switching him up to rats depending on his weight. If he's used to being fed live and hes never had a problem with it for the last 4 years, keep feeding live. I guess you won't really know for sure if he'll even take f/t unless you give it a shot.
    True. I guess I am dealing with the 'humane' aspect of it, (or I guess relative humane treatment). I don't have a problem buying live mice for him but I've heard f/t are safer in terms of health and because he wont have to deal with killing it, thus potentially getting hurt. He seems to never have an issue, but I still worry about it while I watch him.

I also feed in a separate enclosure because thats what his previous owners did. Dont know about opinions on that.

Thanks

It took one snake 6 months. It took another 3 weeks. It really depended on the snake!! Persistance is key but we also follow an offer 3 weeks in a row take 1 week where we don't offer at all. As well as temperature matters a lot to most our snakes. We have a laser reader and we had to temp some rats at the start because the snakes will not eat them cool. Also invest in long tongs because the rat dance (hold them by the tail and wiggle it) can mean some pretty wild strikes. You will be able to tell if the snake is interested pretty quickly. Start with the easy and basic heat and wiggle method first. If that doesn't work there are other ways but sometimes thats all it takes

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monks98 For This Useful Post:

ebbanflo (09-01-2017)

Thanks

how long it would take depends on the snake. I'd start by not feeding for a week or two so he's nice an hungry. Let you f/t mouse defrost on your counter or where ever, just don't ever microwave a frozen rodent. I like to warm up a mug of hot water in the microwave and then put the mouse in a bag and leave in hot water for 20 mins or so. after its thawed and has been warmed up by the water offer it to your snake. you might try moving it around to mimic a live mouse. if he takes it move it around to simulate a struggle when he coils up on it. If this doesnt work you might try fresh killed, it's a little more violent but it might be needed to segway to frozen thawed?
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks

We also feed every snake in thier tubs. No one gets moved

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebbanflo View Post
    True. I guess I am dealing with the 'humane' aspect of it, (or I guess relative humane treatment). I don't have a problem buying live mice for him but I've heard f/t are safer in terms of health and because he wont have to deal with killing it, thus potentially getting hurt. He seems to never have an issue, but I still worry about it while I watch him.

I also feed in a separate enclosure because thats what his previous owners did. Dont know about opinions on that.

Feeding in a separate enclosure can be a good thing for smaller snakes. It helps to keep them from associating their tank opening and you reaching in with getting fed. That way they only expect to be fed when they are put in their special "dinner" box. I feed in a separate enclosure for my boa and my ball python. You can run into problems finding a large enough container to feed a big retic or burm in though!
    Last edited by dylan815; 09-01-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

ebbanflo (09-01-2017)

Thanks

how long it would take depends on the snake. I'd start by not feeding for a week or two so he's nice an hungry. Let you f/t mouse defrost on your counter or where ever, just don't ever microwave a frozen rodent. I like to warm up a mug of hot water in the microwave and then put the mouse in a bag and leave in hot water for 20 mins or so. after its thawed and has been warmed up by the water offer it to your snake. you might try moving it around to mimic a live mouse. if he takes it move it around to simulate a struggle when he coils up on it. If this doesnt work you might try fresh killed, it's a little more violent but it might be needed to segway to frozen thawed?
    Thank you for the advice!

Ive heard fresh killed but unsure about the process, what does that involve?

- - - Updated - - -

Feeding in a separate enclosure can be a good thing for smaller snakes. It helps to keep them from associating their tank opening and you reaching in with getting fed. That way they only expect to be fed when they are put in their special "dinner" box. I feed in a separate enclosure for my boa and my ball python. You can run into problems finding a large enough container to feed a big retic or burm in though!
    This is a relief to hear! And damn I would love to have a boa as well I've only had my BP for a few weeks and I'm obsessed!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monks98 View Post
    It took one snake 6 months. It took another 3 weeks. It really depended on the snake!! Persistance is key but we also follow an offer 3 weeks in a row take 1 week where we don't offer at all. As well as temperature matters a lot to most our snakes. We have a laser reader and we had to temp some rats at the start because the snakes will not eat them cool. Also invest in long tongs because the rat dance (hold them by the tail and wiggle it) can mean some pretty wild strikes. You will be able to tell if the snake is interested pretty quickly. Start with the easy and basic heat and wiggle method first. If that doesn't work there are other ways but sometimes thats all it takes

thank you! I just fed him yesterday, I am going to try this out starting next week with your technique!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monks98 View Post
    We also feed every snake in thier tubs. No one gets moved

have you ever had issues with the snakes confusing food time with being taken out of the enclosure to hang out?

Thanks

have you ever had issues with the snakes confusing food time with being taken out of the enclosure to hang out?
    Not even once only ones that strike are the babies and thats just because thats just what they do haha

Thanks

Thank you for the advice!

Ive heard fresh killed but unsure about the process, what does that involve?

- - - Updated - - -

This is a relief to hear! And damn I would love to have a boa as well I've only had my BP for a few weeks and I'm obsessed!!!
    Fresh killed can be kinda messy for you. You might not have it in you to do it. Bassicaly all you do is kill the mouse so the snake doesn't have to. This protects the snake and kills the mouse faster than then snake can. You just take your mouse and grab firmly bring its head and at the base of its tail. Then quick and hard pull in opposite directions and you will break the mouses neck. It's not to much fun to do to a poor little mouse so it's not very common. Other people who do fresh killed often make little co2 gas chambers to gas out the mice. That's problebly the most humane way to do it. So that's what fresh killed is. I'm not a huge fan of it, makes me feel bad after. But you asked. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast