Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

3 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Returning RI symptoms

My 2 year old bp was treated for a minor RI about a month ago (15 day course of antibiotic injections, 1 every 3 days) and his symptoms improved, no more wheezing. I moved him to a new cage with better air flow, have been meticulous about cleaning, etc. However, today I noticed a few wheezes while I was handling him, then after I returned him to his tank for at least an hour he sat with his head tilted up on his grapevine perch. I haven't checked his mouth for bubbles yet. Recently defecated and passed urates, which appeared normal.

Does it sound like his symptoms are returning? Warrant another vet visit? I wonder if it may be another type of infection... hot side 89-93, ambient 75, humidity 60-70% (much lower now than it was in previous tub setup).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I would bump up his heat and humidity and keep an eye on him.

Most antibiotics are given for 30 days not 15 so the RI may be coming back. Unfortunately you may now be dealing with resistant bacteria. What antibiotic was prescribed?

Thanks

Re: Returning RI symptoms

The very first BP we ever bought is our biggest hurdle. We were told he was a "little picky" and as new BP owners we didnt think much of it. He didn't eat for 8 months. It took us that long to realize he will never eat rats. His mice need to be heated to an EXACT temperature. Like to the degree. They need to be offered in a certain way. As such he is underweight....even stunted because we didn't realize he was underweight for age to start with....and he gets stressed easy. He got an RI about a year and a half ago. We took him to the vet and were given injections. We do not have a herp vet and only one vet in the city who will see reptiles so it was a guessing game what type to prescribe. We followed the course, we were also only given 15 days, and the RI seemed to clear up. But he still wheezes at times....a year and a half later. We now have 21 snakes. But he was never returned to the snake room. He is kept separate. He eats, his mouth is clear, he sheds and poops....but the wheeze that kicks up every now and then is enough to keep us worried. The stramge thing is we have 2 snakes who have been wheezers since hatch! They don't worry us haha. But the vet visit was roulette for drugs, cost us $800 all in, and we won't do it again unless he shows other signs of being sick. I don't know if any of that helps haha but it's the decision we made.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk