Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,400

1 members and 3,399 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Prey size too small?

Okay so I got it from petsmart (yes I know never go to pet stores) when I bought it they had it on frozen thawed fuzzy mice which based on the size of its body those are too small I'm out of fuzzies so I am gonna buy him more food tomorrow I'm thinking maybe medium or large mice I'm just worried it's head and neck are too small for anything bigger does anyone think bigger would be a problem... The first picture more accurately shows the size of its body and the second one shows more accurately the size of its head and neck.

PS: I realize I keep using the word "It" I don't actually know the gender so for now he/she is genderless

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To give you an idea and BP out of the egg eats a hopper, so at this stage fuzzy or hopper are too small, the easiest way it to eyeball it and feed something equal the girth size or you can weigh your animal and the prey.

Here is a feeding chart

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2017),omglolchrisss (08-24-2017),Sunnieskys (08-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Did they give you their weight and feeding chart? I always give new snake owners this info. My snakes at work are all on adult mice. At or around 200g switch to rat pups. I would call them and ask the last weight at the last feeding.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: Prey size too small?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    To give you an idea and BP out of the egg eats a hopper, so at this stage fuzzy or hopper are too small, the easiest way it to eyeball it and feed something equal the girth size or you can weigh your animal and the prey.

Here is a feeding chart

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines
    Thanks so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Did they give you their weight and feeding chart? I always give new snake owners this info. My snakes at work are all on adult mice. At or around 200g switch to rat pups. I would call them and ask the last weight at the last feeding.
    Nope they didn't tell me the weight all the feeding schedule said was the days to feed and what days it did or did not eat they told me it eats one fuzzy mouse twice a week I'll try calling them tomorrow to see if they know I doubt they will though because the last time I called they didn't know when the last shed was and when I bought they didn't even know the gender....

Thanks

Then they are keeping some crap py records. Each week they should be weighed and what they ate. Also they should note when sheds happen. I'm not impressed with their care at this point. And a fuzzy twice a week? Nope nope and nope! That's just more work for them and the snakes.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Oh wow, my reptile store told me to feed him 2 fuzzy in one sitting, am I overfeeding him? He eats them no problem, I haven't weighted him i was just being guided from what they told me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Then they are keeping some crap py records. Each week they should be weighed and what they ate. Also they should note when sheds happen. I'm not impressed with their care at this point. And a fuzzy twice a week? Nope nope and nope! That's just more work for them and the snakes.

So it should only be fed once a week? And I need to pick up a scale then. Crap I wish I would have kept my scales after I quit being a pothead! Lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hector.4191 View Post
    Oh wow, my reptile store told me to feed him 2 fuzzy in one sitting, am I overfeeding him? He eats them no problem, I haven't weighted him i was just being guided from what they told me

You're UNDER feeding him. Check out the link to the chart posted above by deborah

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (08-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    You're UNDER feeding him. Check out the link to the chart posted above by deborah
    Well he is very small this is his third feeding, I'll weight him Saturday, he just ate Wednesday and I don't want to stress him out! But thank you for the info!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omglolchrisss View Post
    So it should only be fed once a week? And I need to pick up a scale then. Crap I wish I would have kept my scales after I quit being a pothead! Lol

Yep. However you need to know weight. when you call ask to speak to the animal dept manager. Then ask her what the last weight was at feeding. They have these records, or should. And when they get snakes th e vendor sends what the sex is and a birthdate and the morph. I know ours does. If they are not keeping these records then they suck lol

~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (08-25-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast