Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,204

4 members and 1,200 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

New terrarium is now complete - I think lol

So I finally got my tank set up and I think everything is good.

I had to tear it down and redo some of the thermometers and probe placement but here are a few pics. I don't have the snake yet, I'm going to an expo tomorrow to purchase it.

As for the temps, the ambient air thermometer that is on the substrate on the cold side is reading 82 now but it goes down and up ranging from 80-81 usually. The thermometer that has the probe on top of the heat mat under the substrate is reading 91, and the thermostat controlling the heat mat has the temp set to 96 to achieve the 91 reading of the probe idk if that's normal but it's working.

As for humidity that's what I'm worried most about because it seems to flucuate a good amount all day, now it's saying 48 on one and. 54 on the other gauge, but it's usually right around 60 I've seen it go as high as 68 but it usually drops down within an hour or two.

As for the ambient air heater I have a CHE 100W bulb placed right in the middle on top of the tank and that's working good. I have it on a dimmer and it's at about 80% power that's giving me the correct temps.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New terrarium is now complete - I think lol

Some people just get a water bottle and spritz the tank on the days they see the humidity is low.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnadudette2003 View Post
    Some people just get a water bottle and spritz the tank on the days they see the humidity is low.

Newbie question here.....should you avoid spritzing the snake and should you always make sure your substrate has moisture?

To the OP....your setup looks very nice! Seems like you've done a lot of research to make sure your BP has a nice home.

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

Most people avoid spraying the snake, just in case it freaks them out.
    Moisture in substrate is helpful and lasts a few days usually.

Thanks
    I'd put some tinfoil over some of the exposed screen top. I have the same exoterra tank for one of my bps and humidity was always fluctuating until I did that. Just leave a small hole only about as big or slightly larger than your CHE so that the heat can make its way into the cage but the evaporating moisture only has a small escape route. Humidity leveled out after I did that and now I only really spritz once a day to maintain the humidity levels and the moisture of the substrate, but frequency may differ depending on how much power you need to put to the bulb to maintain ambient (though this may be less of an issue with CHEs because of the lack of focused light, I'm speaking from bulb experience only).

A change of substrate can also help with humidity but sometimes I find it a bit of a pain to rehydrate regularly if the spraying isn't enough (I use ecoearth and once that stuff dries completely it's like powder, so avoid letting it get that way). Once it starts getting like that I usually just do a cage cleaning and avoid the process together by completely replacing it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnadudette2003 View Post
    Most people avoid spraying the snake, just in case it freaks them out.
    Moisture in substrate is helpful and lasts a few days usually.

So do you spray while the BP is in the cage or do you remove them 1st? I assume a regular bottle sprayer is used.

Also, if the substrate is supposed to be moist, does that pose any issues with the snakes skin (i.e. Bacteria)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    So do you spray while the BP is in the cage or do you remove them 1st? I assume a regular bottle sprayer is used.

Also, if the substrate is supposed to be moist, does that pose any issues with the snakes skin (i.e. Bacteria)
    They usually chill in their hides most of the time, so it's generally easy to spray the enclosure without disturbing the snake too much.

The substrate needs a certain amount of moisture to maintain humidity, and it won't cause problems to your snakes scales unless it's wet for an extended period. You want the substrate to be slightly damp but not so much that you can squeeze any water from it or anything like that.