Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

0 members and 3,385 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Re: Active Out of Tank?

Quote Originally Posted by donnadudette2003 View Post
    She has a very nice, regulated, and very expensive viv. And when she's not feeling energetic she's just like every other lazy snake who stares off into the nothing and falls asleep.
    If these other snakes are allowed to show activity at night I'm not sure why my snake getting an hour to explore is a big deal.
    She shows no other signs of stress in or out of her tank. Such as aggression, fear, running when approached, messing up her viv and moving things, etc. She eats regularly and has never had an issue with it. She's actually pretty pudgey and large.
    She's always been active, some snakes just are. And it's not a stress active, I have a snake I got from a rescue with stress issues and trust me the difference is staggering.

I'm getting sick of people attacking me for treating my animals like a part of my family. To me that's what they are. Yeah I might talk to my pets, and I might treat them a bit odd but that's because that's just who i am. It works for us, and any one who has interacted with her since hatching knows that she just likes to explore and is perfectly healthy.
    I know they're not dogs. I happen to have a dog (a Weimaraner) so... I happen to know the difference.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    I apologize if it seems like I'm attacking you, but when you present potentially problematic concepts as advise in an open forum, well, be prepared for possible criticism and voiced concern.

In the end, your pets your rules, do what you wish and risk what you wish. It works for you BUT may not work for others which is why it is concerning when you present very different ideas, because newcomers COULD take your practices and apply them. You know your reasons why, but others won't and could be misunderstood. Your normal days could be warning bells for another, and it's safer to advise what's the general rule rather the exception to the rule. Even well intention misinformation can be harmful.

Considering your pets as family it totally fine (heck I do the same), but you have to understand the psychology of each species, which in your previous posts on different occasions you seemed to keep applying mammal traits to your snake. It's incredibly easy to anthropomorphize our beloved snakes because, well, we love them! But in the long run, it's doing them (potentially) more harm than good.

That's all I'll say on this because I don't want to keep going off topic. Just understand I'm being sincere, not intentionally antagonistic.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 08-17-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

chickenooget (08-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017),KayLynn (08-17-2017),Kira (08-17-2017),redshepherd (08-17-2017),Sunnieskys (08-17-2017),tttaylorrr (08-17-2017),zina10 (08-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donnadudette2003 View Post
    It can be normal depending on the snake. My big girl kawaii will "play" for an hour or more now before resting. Meaning sneksploring and going to all of the places in the house she knows she hasn't been or shouldn't be.
    She used to take naps every like 10-30 mins like the rest of the ball pythons. Now I have to wear her out before I get worn out.
    **edit I should mention she needs exercise often and on days I don't get her out of her tank for playing on the "mom jungle gym" I've seen her spend 3 hours going from one side of her Viv to the other. Back and forth. Over and over. Until she wears herself out.
    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    I let my Ball Python explore all the time! She just cruises round as happy as can be, then goes back in her viv and goes back to sleep. She is such a silly snake XD My snake is also a bit more active at night, she will roam around for about and hour most nights in her viv (unless she just ate or is shedding) then go back in her hide.
    ~Kit

Female Pastel Ball Python "Bumblebee"

Sorry for any typos

Thanks

As far as handling new snakes, I'd give it around 10-20 minute sessions once a day. Always make sure your handling your snake at least two days after a feed and two days before, and keep handling during sheds to a minimum, not at all if possible. Each snake is different. Some love being out of their cage, others not so much. Just look for signs of stress when handling, such as posture, breathing, tongue flicking etc. It's very simple to discern a stressed snake from a curious one. As long as sheds are good and they are eating properly and all else is good, you needn't worry. The older your snake gets and the more you handle it, the more it will mellow out. Young snakes definitely will be more crawly crawly, and they also tend to be more nippy. But have patience. Take things slow and steady and work around your snake. You have the next 20-30 years with him, so you guys have plenty time to bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Activity out of the viv can be hit or miss and depends on your snake. Mine is somewhat active on some days, and prefers to sit next to me wrapped in the dark security of a blanket to watch me on others.

That said, your room is often open and brightly lit with few places to hide, so if you had some cardboard "hides" and blankets to bunch up on the floor and left those around, it'd be much better for the snake roaming about! That way they can exercise if they want, but also aren't stressed and trying to find a place to hide in your room if they're not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123