Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

2 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

T10 rhp placement.

Hello to everyone hope all is doing well.

I wanted to ask a quick question about rhp placement in a ap t10. I am going to order my t10 most likely this week end so i wanted to double check to see if i have this right.

I am going to order 1 t10 with sliding glass doors, locks, belly heat and florescent lights.

Since it gets very cold during my winter months i am going to order a rhp from pro products also to help out with my ambient heat, but i wanted to know what size will be good and placement.

I am putting the belly heat on the right side of the cage for the hot spot, but im confused on where to have ali mount my rhp? Also what size should be good?. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deu2e For This Useful Post:

Bennie1986 (08-15-2017)

Thanks
    My T10 should finally ship this week. I am going to set mine up the same way but never considered the question you are asking. I just assumed it would go on the hot side with the uth but im curious to see other people opinions on this as well.
    0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 Colombian Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: T10 rhp placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post
    Hello to everyone hope all is doing well.

I wanted to ask a quick question about rhp placement in a ap t10. I am going to order my t10 most likely this week end so i wanted to double check to see if i have this right.

I am going to order 1 t10 with sliding glass doors, locks, belly heat and florescent lights.

Since it gets very cold during my winter months i am going to order a rhp from pro products also to help out with my ambient heat, but i wanted to know what size will be good and placement.

I am putting the belly heat on the right side of the cage for the hot spot, but im confused on where to have ali mount my rhp? Also what size should be good?. Any help is appreciated.

Typically they are put on the same side, but if you are using a UTH in conjunction with an RHP, you set the RHP lower than you would with only an RHP. The benefit of having both allows you to put a UTH under a hide and then have the RHP heat the enclosure. Since the UTH is under a hide, the floor area underneath the hide is not really reached by the RHP. There is something of a balancing act here as both will increase the local temperature inside the hide.

As for sizing, the typical size for than cage height is a PH-3 panel which is 80-85 W. Bob will advise you when you order, but I suspect that is what he will recommend. I have several of them I would have to measure, but I would suspect that are around 18" x 12" or so.

Thanks
    When I ordered my T8 I just called AP and spoke with them about the RHP. They said to call Pro Products and let him know what tank you're ordering and he will recommend the RHP size. I had my RHP shipped to AP for AP to install in the tank (RECOMMENDED). When it came in, everything was mounted, I just had to build up the tank and seal the corners then let dry and degas over the next few days. GREAT PRODUCTS. My tank sits with the RHP plugged into a thermostat with the probe on the cold side set to 80F.

I generally see 88-92F hot side and 78-82F cold side.

I have her water halfway under the RHP to aid in humidity. This has my tank at 65% on the hot side and 80% on the cold side.

She has absolutely perfect shed's ever since I got this tank in place.
    0.1 Enchi Super Pastel

Thanks

I appreciate all of your replies. Yes th e uth will be for my belly heat as the rhp will be for over all ambient for my colder months. When being monted will i have ali mount the rhp in the middle or the opposite side of my uth. If this was ansewred i apologize lol. Just still a little confused. Thanks again

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post
    I appreciate all of your replies. Yes th e uth will be for my belly heat as the rhp will be for over all ambient for my colder months. When being monted will i have ali mount the rhp in the middle or the opposite side of my uth. If this was ansewred i apologize lol. Just still a little confused. Thanks again

I would have the RHP mounted on the same side as the UTH. You want to have a heat gradient with a cool side and warm side. The cool side should be, more or less, ambient temperature (usually recommended to be around 77-80 F) and the warm side higher, around 88-92 F.

Placing the RHP and the UTH on the same side allows the following: the radiant heat panel will heat the objects below it, which is usually the top side of a hide and surrounding substrate. These heated objects will give off heat to the environment which will taper with distance from the objects. The overall goal is to allow the snake to have a secure location in which it can thermoregulate (usually a body temperature of ~86-88 F). The RHP will heat the warm side and the top portion of your hide, but since the hide is blocking the ground under it, the ground will be cooler than the hide. Using the RHP and the UTH in combination allows you to heat the underside / floor of the hide to the same appropriate temperature.

The UTH is not strictly required as the hide will be heated by the RHP even if the floor is slightly or somewhat cooler, but it can be helpful depending on circumstances and allows better control of the temperature within the warm hide. Sometimes keepers using RHP will have to heat the hide slightly more than may be desirable to get the interior of the hide to heat appropriately (say 95 F instead of 88-92F). The UTH will likely allow to avoid this potential issue.

Hopefully that was more helpful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (08-15-2017)

Thanks

Have the RHP mounted on the same side that has the UTH. I have AP T8 cages and I use the 80 Watt RHP but I don't use a UTH either. My tanks are very stable and all my snakes eat every meal and shed perfectly each time.

Best of luck to you with your new setup.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Deu2e (08-15-2017)

Thanks

Yes it was, i appreciate you taking the time to explain to me more. This weekend i will start my orders. Thank you again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Have the RHP mounted on the same side that has the UTH. I have AP T8 cages and I use the 80 Watt RHP but I don't use a UTH either. My tanks are very stable and all my snakes eat every meal and shed perfectly each time.

Best of luck to you with your new setup.
    Hello i have one more question if you dont mind.. where do i mount my t stat probe?

Thanks
    In my t10s I have 80watt rhp (reptile basics). I dont have a UTH though. The 80 watt is mounted on one side of the top with the probe stuffed through the back middle vent about 2/3 down.The thermostat is set for 84 I think, I just adjusted it till I got the temps I wanted.. It keeps the cool side at 80 and a shelf under the RHP stays around 86-88 for a basking area.
    I was a bit disappointed that the 80wt didnt give me a warmer basking area and without a shelf there wouldnt be one at all. However my boas never bask, ever.
    I have a 40wt in the t8 for the bp and it works perfect without a uth.
    We shall see how it goes this winter when the temps get colder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast