Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,395

4 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Cat problem

Thanks

Cat problem

Well I have had my male cat Mr. Fuzz for almost a year he is declawed and fixed, but over the last 5 weeks has started to go to the bathroom outside his liter box, this started about 2 weeks before getting him fixxed and has continued since. The only change to his liter was the yesterdays news for 10 days after surgery. He go right outside the box and nowhere else. Has anyone else had this problem before and how did you fix it.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Cat problem

sometimes they will go outside of the litter box if they have a urinary tract infection. other causes are stress or a change of litter or something else in their environment that they do not like. i would suggest a possible trip to the vet to eliminate the possibility of a UTI and then using his regular litter and try to make sure that everything is the same as it was before he started having the problem. also, possibly he is trying to mark his territory but since he is now fixed that should stop although sometimes it doesn't stop right away. do you have any other cats? occassionally one of the cats will stop using the little box because it is intimidated by the other--basically an admission that they are not the top cat type of thing.
    - Emily

Thanks

I would agree with the vet visit (or maybe even a phone call to your vet) just to be certain. Is there a pattern to where he is peeing or when he does it? Male cats can get stones that play hell with their kidney/bladder function. I believe it's related to diet but not sure on that point.

If he pees outside the litter box sometimes it helps to mop up a bit of the fresh urine with a bit of toiletpaper and then put that right in the litter box to transfer his own smell to the appropriate place. Make sure where he peed inappropriately it's extremely well cleaned up so as little scent remains as possible to call him back there as a potty spot.

Hope all is well with your kitty.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I have another hint, for the meantime; you could try using several litter boxes, in different locations. I am not sure if your house is big, but I have heard that sometimes they will go if they can't get to the box. I guess if the cat has a UTI, it could even compound that problem.
    Does it look like he is in pain when he urinates? My mom's cat as put to sleep last year, but in her later months, she was bleeding while urinating, and in fact was going in the bath tub for some reason. She had a kidney problem.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks all for your tips, he went to the vet today and she didnt believe he had a UTI. She told me basicaly what you all have said I added the 2nd litter box back down stairs again to see if that helps. He has the same litter he has always had other than the 10 days of yesterdays news. I do keep him with another cat a 2 year old female, but if anything Mr. Fuzz is the bully not her. I am going to just have to bare with this right now atleast its only in the bath room and not anywhere else.
    -Sean

Thanks

That is darned wierd. Normally adult cats that are fully house trained don't suddenly make accidents...and right in the room with his litter box? Very odd. I'd keep an eye on him to make sure he isn't passing any pinkish fluid with his urine or seeming to strain or cry out when he uses his litterbox (or the floor for that matter).

Another thought. You say you have a female cat? Is she fixed? I'm just wondering if anything hormonal with her could be causing her urine to smell oddly to him so he's refusing to use the same box she does?

Just darned odd. The only cat I've had that did this exact thing was a very old male cat, Barney, but with him it was just age and general falling apart old cat thing.

Let us know what happens.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks Jo, oh yeah Mittens(female) is fixxed or by now you would have seen the "free to good home kittens post" lol will keep you posted.
    -Sean

Thanks

Well I added a 2nd litter box down stair and Mr. Fuz has been a saint since, go figure
    -Sean

Thanks

That's great! Cats can be very wierd, picky critters LOL. One of ours lived on a fridge for 3 months only coming down to use a litter box (he had to jump to the counter then fly through the air and clear the kitchen door). He apparently took a freakish aversion to the kitchen floor in the house we'd just moved into. Haven't a clue why other than it was a butt ugly pattern but geesh! After about 3 months one day he was fine. Cat are just strange lil furry beings. LOL

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~