Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

3 members and 3,184 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Very new to bps but I already love my lil guy

Hi my ball python is at the age that he eats adult mice I just got him a little over a week ago he ate fine and uses his hide properly etc however I think I accidentally spooked him with his water spray bottle or he was feeling aggressive I dunno anyways I went to handle him way later on and he struck at me (keeping in mind earlier yesterday he struck at spray bottle I think water hit him dunno) anyways he was handling fine slithering on my arm being docile and now did that strike when I went to handle him so how do I remedy this like should I leave him be and don't handle him for awhile? If so how long? And if not what is the best course of action? Also as a note u usually try to keep tank temp at 82 but it drops to 77 so I turn on lamp and it hits as high as 84 sometimes... additionally he is in an area we have to pass by to do stuff as apt is sorta small he diddnt seem to mind it before but dunno.. should I cover tank sides or something? And yea sorry for all the questions but there's no stupid questions in life stupidity is not asking that which you don't know and acting like u do know and screwing up lol and finally I fed him Friday and he was docile and fine yesterday even exploring up my arm and yes he's a juvenile please assist me with the info I need ty😊

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Very new to bps but I already love my lil guy

I'd suggest sticking black paper or aquarium background paper on the back and sides of the tank / glass Viv .

Difficult to tell about the timing of everything here BUT its generally accepted that you should leave them for 48 hours AFTER a feed before handling them - so they can digest properly . Most say to leave them totally alone for a week or 10 days when you first get them and then try a feed ...

As I say it's difficult to see the timing of your circumstances

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-09-2017 at 04:22 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (08-09-2017)

Thanks

Re: Very new to bps but I already love my lil guy

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I'd suggest sticking black paper or aquarium background paper on the back and sides of the tank / glass Viv .

Difficult to tell about the timing of everything here BUT its generally accepted that you should leave them for 48 hours AFTER a feed before handling them - so they can digest properly . Most say to leave them totally alone for a week or 10 days when you first get them and then try a feed ...

As I say it's difficult to see the timing of your circumstances

I've heard the same thing about using the black paper on the side of the enclosure and holding off on handling them for at least a week after introducing them to their new enclosure. What's interesting is my breeder mentioned trying to feed them within a day of receiving them to prevent all the time that goes by where they are considering they are in a new environment. Basically it helps reduce their stress levels. Thought that was interesting because it was different then everything that Ive been reading on here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I've heard the same thing about using the black paper on the side of the enclosure and holding off on handling them for at least a week after introducing them to their new enclosure. What's interesting is my breeder mentioned trying to feed them within a day of receiving them to prevent all the time that goes by where they are considering they are in a new environment. Basically it helps reduce their stress levels. Thought that was interesting because it was different then everything that Ive been reading on here.
    I guess if it's a good feeder then there's no harm in offering within a day or so of getting them ... I've done that with bullet-proof feeders like Kings / Burms / Boas etc etc but I always let my new Royals/Ball pythons settle in for a week or so ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-09-2017)

Thanks

You should always handle from under the ball python. That way they won't think you as a predator.(bird) Coming from above stresses him out. Other then that Zincubus said it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvilKitty For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-09-2017),Zincubus (08-09-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Hi and welcome!! Congrats on your first BP.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do...

1) Wrap three sides of the enclosure in cardboard, dark paper, or something similar. BPs, especially when young, rely heavily on hiding and feeling secure. The dark sides will block off anything that may seem like a threat to them. They basically live withy the mentality "eat and don't get eaten" because they are primitive creatures who don't know much else.

2) Feed as scheduled. Feed appropriate sized prey on whatever his scheduled feeding day is.

3) Leave him alone to get acclimated and comfortable. There's been a lot going on of him over the last few weeks. Although it's tempting to want to handle your new pet, it's best to give them some time. You will have this pet for 30 years if raised right, so plenty of time to handle your pet. Spot clean and change water as needed, but otherwise leave him alone. Once he is settled in (I like to wait until they've eaten 3 consecutive meals without a refusal) you can start handling every few days, but not on/after feeding days or during shed. Start with short handling sessions (10 minutes or so) and gradually increase frequency and time as you desire.

Good luck! We're here for any questions you may have.

Oh, and just some friendly advice...make your threads easier to read. One big, long sentence is tough to read. People will often skip over threads like that just because they're a pain to read.
    Separating thoughts and sentences makes it easier to read and more people are likely to read and reply.

Oh, and also, the above advice about handling is good advice.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-09-2017 at 09:39 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

chickenooget (08-14-2017),JodanOrNoDan (08-09-2017),tttaylorrr (08-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Hi and welcome!! Congrats on your first BP.

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do...

1) Wrap three sides of the enclosure in cardboard, dark paper, or something similar. BPs, especially when young, rely heavily on hiding and feeling secure. The dark sides will block off anything that may seem like a threat to them. They basically live withy the mentality "eat and don't get eaten" because they are primitive creatures who don't know much else.

2) Feed as scheduled. Feed appropriate sized prey on whatever his scheduled feeding day is.

3) Leave him alone to get acclimated and comfortable. There's been a lot going on of him over the last few weeks. Although it's tempting to want to handle your new pet, it's best to give them some time. You will have this pet for 30 years if raised right, so plenty of time to handle your pet. Spot clean and change water as needed, but otherwise leave him alone. Once he is settled in (I like to wait until they've eaten 3 consecutive meals without a refusal) you can start handling every few days, but not on/after feeding days or during shed. Start with short handling sessions (10 minutes or so) and gradually increase frequency and time as you desire.

Good luck! We're here for any questions you may have.

Oh, and just some friendly advice...make your threads easier to read. One big, long sentence is tough to read. People will often skip over threads like that just because they're a pain to read.
    Separating thoughts and sentences makes it easier to read and more people are likely to read and reply.

Oh, and also, the above advice about handling is good advice.
    Great point about separating the sentences !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-09-2017)

Thanks

Ty all for the advice

Firstly ty all for the advice second I'd like input plz.... the guys at the reptile store said they r used to lotsa traffic etc from being in the store.... not sure if that's correct or not and finally I believe I'll leave him be except for water change/substrate misting until after the next feeding/48 hours after time as he's due for feed tm..... is this seeming a good idea? And a side note..... he seemed fine till the spray bottle startled him I'm just hoping he is ok
    Last edited by Joshuawhitelaw; 08-10-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Missed a thought

Thanks

Forgot one thing

I as well will cover glass on three sides as well but should I wait before that so as not to jar tank?

Thanks

Re: Ty all for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuawhitelaw View Post
    Firstly ty all for the advice second I'd like input plz.... the guys at the reptile store said they r used to lotsa traffic etc from being in the store.... not sure if that's correct or not and finally I believe I'll leave him be except for water change/substrate misting until after the next feeding/48 hours after time as he's due for feed tm..... is this seeming a good idea? And a side note..... he seemed fine till the spray bottle startled him I'm just hoping he is ok
    The spray startles all snakes , if I have time I occasionally spray WARM water and that doesn't startle them quite as much .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast