Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,707

2 members and 1,705 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How big they might get?!

Hello,

Im always interested how fast BP grow and what size they get. I read the males get
    from 800 to 2000g. Can't get more detailed info on google so here I am! Curious as hell.

Can you really tell at some age that your BP is gonna stay on a smaller size or
    become a biger specimen?

I need to get a female Bell also but my bf is getting bananas about it. I Have a cat and want a dog and timon lepidus lizard. For now... no kids jet-can you tell?!
    have 54+ animals at work I care for, but but, but, but at home just two. My lucky number is 3. Or 33.

I have an almost year old male BP, 700g. Cca 85cm. Eats rats like a champ, 10% his body weight. His Breeder says he is a bit chubby now but has grown great and looks healthy, got him 6 months ago at 170g.
    Im wondering how big he might get?!

Can you guys please post the age and weight of your BP, pics also if you can.

THANKS!
    Sorry for long post, I just had my second coffe

Chubster photo

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    It mainly depends on the amount of food you give them and partly genetics. Check out this big 5000 gram female:

https://youtu.be/P59Y771SUUM

And BHB did an experiment where they fed small prey items vs. large prey items and the snake fed the bigger rodents grew almost twice as fast, that blew me away. So I guess they will grow faster if you feed them rodents that are about 10% of their body weight vs. multiple smaller rodents that total that same weight. I feed a lot of mice to my ball pythons and I do notice that if I can get them to take a big rat they have a big growth spurt vs. multiple mice.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Jules623 (08-05-2017),Pitonica (08-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: How big they might get?!

she's nine months old, about 2'5" long and 410gr. tiles size is 15x15"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to halfnakedlife For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (08-05-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They can get in the 3 to 5 feet range and 1500 to 4000 grams range (male to female)

Larger specimen have been reported 6 feet and 5000 grams or more but they are very rare. Large males over 2000 grams are rare too.

The average keeper will likely end up with a male in the 1500 grams and a female in the 2500 grams range.

I have several females between 3000 and 4000 grams but the bulk of my females is usually between 2500 and 3000 grams.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-05-2017),Pitonica (08-05-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    By my experience, the potential size of a ball python is 100% genetic. The keyword being potential. The willingness to feed is key. Fearful animals are far less likely to grow than the outgoing ones. I have animals that consistently produce offspring that feed easy and grow like weeds. I have others that are just average sized animals that produce average sized animals. There are a couple people on here that have genetically large lines. I think I may be the only one that is chasing it as a specific trait. I have babies hitting 1400 grams at a year old, this is without doing anything special other than making sure they always get the proper prey size.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-05-2017),Pitonica (08-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    It mainly depends on the amount of food you give them and partly genetics. Check out this big 5000 gram female:

https://youtu.be/P59Y771SUUM

And BHB did an experiment where they fed small prey items vs. large prey items and the snake fed the bigger rodents grew almost twice as fast, that blew me away. So I guess they will grow faster if you feed them rodents that are about 10% of their body weight vs. multiple smaller rodents that total that same weight. I feed a lot of mice to my ball pythons and I do notice that if I can get them to take a big rat they have a big growth spurt vs. multiple mice.
    Hmmm I didn't know that! Was feeding two mice and than went to a proper sized rat and he is growing faster since..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    By my experience, the potential size of a ball python is 100% genetic. The keyword being potential. The willingness to feed is key. Fearful animals are far less likely to grow than the outgoing ones. I have animals that consistently produce offspring that feed easy and grow like weeds. I have others that are just average sized animals that produce average sized animals. There are a couple people on here that have genetically large lines. I think I may be the only one that is chasing it as a specific trait. I have babies hitting 1400 grams at a year old, this is without doing anything special other than making sure they always get the proper prey size.
    1400 a year old, females?
    really amazing...
    Keep wondering how many grams he will hit in one more year if I keep feeding 10%

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pitonica View Post
    1400 a year old, females?
    really amazing...
    Keep wondering how many grams he will hit in one more year if I keep feeding 10%

You do not feed an adult 10% unless you want a slugish animal once it eats and want a inconsistant feeder.

Adult have a slower metabolism they need less food, I don't feed a 400 grams to a 4000 grams female.

Ideally adult males you want to feed a prey That's 55 to 75 grams every 7 to 10 days, a female does not need anything larger than a 150 grams rat once a week even the largest female.

Over feeding is a real issue in captivity, considering the size of you snake I would already adjust his feeding especially considering that he is 700 grams and a male.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-05-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-05-2017),JodanOrNoDan (08-05-2017),silverdreams (08-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You do not feed an adult 10% unless you want a slugish animal once it eats and want a inconsistant feeder.

Adult have a slower metabolism they need less food, I don't feed a 400 grams to a 4000 grams female.

Ideally adult males you want to feed a prey That's 55 to 75 grams every 7 to 10 days, a female does not need anything larger than a 150 grams rat once a week even the largest female.

Over feeding is a real issue in captivity, considering the size of you snake I would already adjust his feeding especially considering that he is 700 grams and a male.
    Yea, my breeder also said that.
    sticking to proper pray definitely.. Not increasing. Aldough some people advise to feed more for a few more months If I want him bigger. More important is his health than size..
    He is not at all sluggish, really active at night a day or two afer a feeding so he is thriving as his breeder commented.
    Was interested of opinions from others and believe me I heard and was suggested things that I would never try on my own animals.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    The 10% rule I do not use. I use the body size rule that will work for the life of a snake. I should probably also explain that all my animals breed once they are old enough. They gain and lose large amounts of weight every year. AN animal that is breeding requires far more intake than one that is not.

As to over feeding in captivity, I will agree that the animals get far more food than they actually need however none of my animals overeat. They have good body tone. Very solid. If I was dealing with boas I would be far more concerned about overeating. When my animals have had enough, they stop eating. With the exception of the males in my large lines, all my animals go off food for two to six months a year. I have yet to have a ball python that does not know when they should stop eating. I am sure there are some out there but I do not have any in my collection. The males that eat year round do so because I feed them differently than the females. I do not particularly care how large they are in actuality, only that they are of breeding size and that they carry the genes to be big. Like most breeders I top my males off with smalls. They continue to grow but not at the rate of the females. A 600 gram male is just as effective as a 1500 gram male.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 08-05-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-05-2017),Pitonica (08-05-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (08-05-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast