Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

4 members and 3,362 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Feeding Size for Baby Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    The steps you've already taken should help, I just like listing all possible options.

For the sake of cover, plastic greenery from your local craft or dollar store does them just fine, as does options like balled up newspaper or paper towel. Matching hides can be vital since they do need to be somewhat snug for a BP to feel secure, so if one hide is more enclosed or fits more snugly than the other, that can lead to the BP favoring a particular hide or resorting to options like using in/under its water bowl as a hide.

Usually not a major issue, but such behaviors CAN lead to bad situations like regurgitation, since the BP may not feel secure in its hot hide and thus may not have the temperature needed to digest.

Ultimately, I'd suggest either the RB hide here, options from ExoTerra or PetTech here, or doing as I do since mine is still growing: rigging something up out of opaque tupperware, plastic takeout containers, little plastic boxes from the dollar store, rodent igloo houses, or various other options. Like mine are $2 cheap dog bowls from a local store that I cut the bowl area out of then cut a little door into. To show how that worked:

this dog bowl + scissors/lighter = this hide
    Ok, I've ordered some items and they should get here on Tuesday. Before then I plan to go to the pet store to pick out a matching hide. One is a tighter space than the other so I'll make it more compact with moss and vegetation. He's usually pretty good about venturing from one to the other. I did notice that ever since I put the towels on the cage, he's wandering around more - today, before night time at his usual 10:00 pm - 3:00 am. I haven't changed anything else about his set up.

Thanks

Re: Feeding Size for Baby Ball Python

As an update for any of those interested: he finally ate! I think he only prefers to strike when he is in his hideout. Last week when he was in there I felt him strike but I just assumed I had scared him because he didn't go after it soon after (though I probably pulled it away too early). Now today I felt him strike, wiggled the mouse around a little more, and he got it! He coiled around and has swallowed all of it. I'm very happy for him.

Thanks
    Thank you to everyone who replied to the thread and to hollowlaughter for the great feeding tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12