Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,668

1 members and 2,667 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Your Biggest Mistakes/Tips For Beginners

So this is something that I've asked a lot of breeder friends about and I think it would be helpful for a lot of people here too. What were the biggest mistakes you made when you started getting into BP breeding? If you were starting over again, what would you change? What kind of advice do you have for someone wanting get started as a breeder?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing some great stories and advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Stay away from tanks. Get racks. Lots of them.

Get good thermostats.

The incubator and hatchling rack should be set up and tested to ensure they run properly before a male and female ever get paired.

Breed for what you want to produce because you like it, not because you think it will sell.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-28-2017),Godzilla78 (09-10-2017),hollowlaughter (08-29-2017),jonarnold85 (07-28-2017),MJ_Bosley (07-28-2017),the_rotten1 (08-29-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was too spread out, I wanted to get into everything rather than concentrate on select projects. I re-focus my collection and narrow down and now have 3 main focus, I stick to those without getting sidetracked.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-28-2017),embrit345 (07-29-2017),Godzilla78 (09-10-2017),hollowlaughter (08-29-2017),jonarnold85 (07-28-2017),MJ_Bosley (07-28-2017),Seven-Thirty (08-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Your Biggest Mistakes/Tips For Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by jonarnold85 View Post
    So this is something that I've asked a lot of breeder friends about and I think it would be helpful for a lot of people here too. What were the biggest mistakes you made when you started getting into BP breeding? If you were starting over again, what would you change? What kind of advice do you have for someone wanting get started as a breeder?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing some great stories and advice!
    I actually started with a plastic rub for my Corn snake which was fine but as soon as I realised how amazing display tanks and vivs looked I quickly saw the light ( as did my snakes lol ) .

I realise racks are great for keeping a load of snakes in a small area and that some people are only interested in breeding them but I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay a small fortune for a stunning Pied Royal or one of the Banana morphs and then stick them in an opaque plastic box ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Booper (07-29-2017),Miss Mayhem (07-28-2017)

Thanks

Put eggs in incubator and leave them well alone. My first ever clutch this year so me itching to check them far to regularly and my interfering eventually cost me very dearly because I lost most of my clutch. Patience is a virtue xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Balls balls balls

9. The Following User Says Thank You to embrit345 For This Useful Post:

jonarnold85 (07-29-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

X2 for leaving the eggs alone. I was lucky and all my hatchlings were healthy, but next year I won't be cutting any eggs since this year I cut my 2 late pippers and one nearly crawled out without absorbing anything. Also, I will be seriously considering a second male. My male has proven himself fertile but he definitely has his own breeding schedule. He has been in with tail wagging, scent-marking females and has totally ignored them. The only reason he climbs on top of them is to get to the comfy side, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I was too spread out, I wanted to get into everything rather than concentrate on select projects.
    I second that. Also, focus on females first year or two. Many who want to breed start out buying a male and a female, then end up with a sexually mature male after a year and a couple females that won't be ready to breed for a another year or two.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Wow , you have gotten EXCELLENT tips already, they covered everything I wanted to say.

That said, while "display cages" can be a stunning thing, there is nothing wrong with racks. I find that this species (Ball Pythons) does exceptionally well in racks. And I used to be completely pro display cage - con rack. Until I realized how much more the Balls actually thrive in racks. I still have one beautiful display cage, but even though, I am sure that snake would prefer to be in a rack again. I DO like to see them, but I think for the most part they are a species that rather not be "seen" out in the open all the time.

You can still enjoy them in a rack, I take mine out often enough to drool over them and admire them, and then I return them to their happy, secluded place

So its really "to each their own". Either side can be made to work, but if you want to go into breeding, you will be quite limited with big display cages, unless you have enough space in your house.

I'm happy with my "compromise" of having one stunning display cage and my most "un-concerned" snake in it. And the rest in high quality racks.

I think aside from making sure you have 100% correct husbandry, the most important point is..do not ever go into this for "profit". Go into it for fun. Get snakes you LIKE to look at. Do not expect a return on your projects. If it happens, that is just the cherry on top
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (08-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I actually started with a plastic rub for my Corn snake which was fine but as soon as I realised how amazing display tanks and vivs looked I quickly saw the light ( as did my snakes lol ) .

I realise racks are great for keeping a load of snakes in a small area and that some people are only interested in breeding them but I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay a small fortune for a stunning Pied Royal or one of the Banana morphs and then stick them in an opaque plastic box ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same reason someone would pay $20 for a normal and stick it in an opaque plastic box ????
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

yardy (08-31-2017),Zincubus (08-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Your Biggest Mistakes/Tips For Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    The same reason someone would pay $20 for a normal and stick it in an opaque plastic box ????
    It's all about opinion .

I occasionally just wonder if I'm being cruel by keeping snakes in vivs but then I tell myself that they're in decent sized vivs with hides and quiet spots , branches and foliage etc .

I couldn't do that if mine were kept in small plastic boxes with NONE of the above ... and yes I've been to many breeders homes and seen how small their rubs are ..... people can say what they like about them 'enjoying' confined spaces but I feel that they need to be able to move around and stretch and explore a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-29-2017 at 02:09 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-10-2017),Stormborn1986 (09-14-2017)