Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

1 members and 3,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Cool Ball Python Starter Setup?

Quick Intro of myself

Hi everyone, I've just signed up to the forums, I'm 20 from the South west UK, currently owning a corn snake around 9 Months old called Tango - So Hi to all!

My Question

I've always had love for Balls and I have a breeder near me with new hatchlings coming in for sale, I really would like one but i don't know where to start with a basic setup? I have not got a lot of money at the moment and the Balls are quickly selling out! Is there any good starter kits that are not high priced that I can use? if someone can guide me please, that would be great,

I know this is slightly on the cheap side, but I have currently got one of these setups when i purchased Tango from the local pet shop, Would this be ok for Balls or something similar?
    (please check link)

https://www.internetreptile.com/hatc...with-stat.html

Thanks for viewing and Taking time to help me!

Many Thanks,
    Jake

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Starter Setup?

You can setup a tub for pretty cheap, most of the tank starter kits come with very few items that are actually used for ball pythons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neonspeed For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-26-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-26-2017),SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...With-Pictures!

This

If you can't afford a glass tank, a bin of the same size with a locking lid will work too. Drill enough holes in the top or the sides so that air can circulate, but humidity is retained. With a bin, humidity is easier to manage, it just doesn't look as nice. If your new beep is a baby, you can opt for a smaller size tank or bin, as long as the temp/humidity/hide needs are met.
    Last edited by KayLynn; 07-26-2017 at 02:24 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-26-2017),SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    No that's not appropriate for a ball python and your snake will outgrow it pretty quickly anyway.

A tub (RUB) with a lid that latches securely makes an ideal enclosure for a baby snake. In the US you'd be looking for something like this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-15-Qu...ng-Lid/3341158#

Add an under-tank heat pad, a thermostat, two hides, and a water bowl for an inexpensive safe setup for a ball python. You'll also need a point thermometer or heat gun to measure the floor of the tub over the UTH. You also don't have to purchase hides immediately, you can make them from almost anything, even extra crumpled newspaper, as long as your baby can get into a dark comfy place and feel secure.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-26-2017 at 02:22 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (07-27-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-26-2017),SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks

Thanks Kaylynn for the great advice! I would love to have a rack at some point with a growing collection of snakes (5 Maximum i have said to myself) but my other half may disagree! the corn snake was hard enough and have not said about the ball Wish me luck!
    Last edited by SnakerJaker; 07-26-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    No that's not appropriate for a ball python and your snake will outgrow it pretty quickly anyway.

A tub (RUB) with a lid that latches securely makes an ideal enclosure for a baby snake. In the US you'd be looking for something like this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-15-Qu...ng-Lid/3341158#

Add an under-tank heat pad, a thermostat, two hides, and a water bowl for an inexpensive safe setup for a ball python. You'll also need a point thermometer or heat gun to measure the floor of the tub over the UTH. You also don't have to purchase hides immediately, you can make them from almost anything, even extra crumpled newspaper, as long as your baby can get into a dark comfy place and feel secure.
    Thanks for the reply! would something like this do and big enough? also what substrate to use, I have heard toilet roll is good?

https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk...EaAkPHEALw_wcB

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would say that is too small. Try and find a plastic tub around 380 mm x 300 mm x 175 mm as a minimum.

Paper towels work well as a substrate, especially for babies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnakerJaker View Post
    Thanks for the reply! would something like this do and big enough? also what substrate to use, I have heard toilet roll is good?

https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk...EaAkPHEALw_wcB
    Welcome

The lids on those are not secure enough and can be pushed off by the snake.

I'd look for a suitable tub from either poundstretcher or staples. For very small hatchlings I have used lunchboxes but for an enclosure they will probably be outgrown fairly quickly.

Something like this would work I think;

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...b07_0litre.php

They are not very high but they have enough floor space to do for a couple of months at least while you decide on something more long term.
    Last edited by dr del; 07-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (07-26-2017),SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Locking tubs from Walmart or Big Lots are probably your best bet, starter kits are.... Eh.

(Saw you're in the UK/EU looks like so find your local equivalents, sorry.....)

What I'd list for a budget and a new, young snake with a relatively new keeper:

Means a budget of about $75. Isn't much more than the kit you'd be buying and these are all pieces and setups that will last your snake a good long while. Can move the UTH/thermostat to a new enclosure if its secured with aluminum tape, plastic plant tray hides can be rebought larger as needed, and that tub should last your snake its first year in which time you can secure a permanent adult enclosure ranging from a larger tub to a 30+ gallon tank or a fancier pvc enclosure.

A digital scale with tare and infrared thermometer are also good investments if not already owned.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 07-26-2017 at 06:14 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (07-27-2017),SnakerJaker (07-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    Locking tubs from Walmart or Big Lots are probably your best bet, starter kits are.... Eh.

(Saw you're in the UK/EU looks like so find your local equivalents, sorry.....)

What I'd list for a budget and a new, young snake with a relatively new keeper:

Means a budget of about $75. Isn't much more than the kit you'd be buying and these are all pieces and setups that will last your snake a good long while. Can move the UTH/thermostat to a new enclosure if its secured with aluminum tape, plastic plant tray hides can be rebought larger as needed, and that tub should last your snake its first year in which time you can secure a permanent adult enclosure ranging from a larger tub to a 30+ gallon tank or a fancier pvc enclosure.

A digital scale with tare and infrared thermometer are also good investments if not already owned.

Thanks very much!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Welcome

The lids on those are not secure enough and can be pushed off by the snake.

I'd look for a suitable tub from either poundstretcher or staples. For very small hatchlings I have used lunchboxes but for an enclosure they will probably be outgrown fairly quickly.

Something like this would work I think;

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...b07_0litre.php

They are not very high but they have enough floor space to do for a couple of months at least while you decide on something more long term.
    Thankyou Very much!