Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

2 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What is it like owning a carpet python?

I'm interested in owning a carpet python as my 4th snake. I have a BP, and 1 hognose and another hognose coming in hopefully in the next couple of days. I basically want to branch out and get ready for larger snakes. I probably wont get one till next year or so, but it doesn't hurt to start researching.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's great, sure they can be nippy when they very young and you need to be consistent with them when it comes to handling but they are very intelligent snakes very inquisitive, and comes in various sizes and mutation as well.

Not prone to stress, they are like garbage disposal when it comes to food (very rarely have I ever had food turned down)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: What is it like owning a carpet python?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It's great, sure they can be nippy when they very young and you need to be consistent with them when it comes to handling but they are very intelligent snakes very inquisitive, and comes in various sizes and mutation as well.

Not prone to stress, they are like garbage disposal when it comes to food (very rarely have I ever had food turned down)
    How big do they get? Do you have a picture of an adult male? What would be a good cage size for a male? I've seen enormous display enclosures and thought that's what they needed.

Thanks

What is it like owning a carpet python?

I like them a lot over BPs, as I find balls boring other then the cool morphs, but they still hide all day and most tend to just sit there when handled. Carpets aren't shy, in fact seem inquisitive at times, they like to climb and make great display snakes. Provide some climbs and when they aren't digesting in their hide(s), you'll find them "hanging" out. They do get some length as adults depending on what type of morelia they are, but their girth/weight make them easily managed. As mentioned they can be garbage disposals, so be aware not to over feed, and can be nippy as a juvenile, but tend to settle. Also be aware of nuero in jags. My female has it, though she is still doing good feed wise and when handling, and my baby so far is not showing signs, but all jags have it at some level. Our first snake was a Jungle and we are on our 3rd now. The trend in carpets is documented lineage versus the "next greatest morph" in the BP world, so take your time picking one out from a respected breeder that will provide that information vice just getting a mutt from an unknown heritage.

As far as an enclosure, I don't have to worry about humidity except winter (va here), and they do well in tubs as hatchling to juveniles, but eventually you'll be looking for a 4x2x2 size for that adult snake.

ETA: Another cool thing is their coloring tends to come out better and better as they shed and grow, so seeing the changes is pretty cool!

couple pics of course

Last edited by Jollyrogers; 07-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jollyrogers View Post
    I like them a lot over BPs, as I find balls boring other then the cool morphs, but they still hide all day and most tend to just sit there when handled. Carpets aren't shy, in fact seem inquisitive at times, they like to climb and make great display snakes. Provide some climbs and when they aren't digesting in their hide(s), you'll find them "hanging" out. They do get some length as adults depending on what type of morelia they are, but their girth/weight make them easily managed. As mentioned they can be garbage disposals, so be aware not to over feed, and can be nippy as a juvenile, but tend to settle. Also be aware of nuero in jags. My female has it, though she is still doing good feed wise and when handling, and my baby so far is not showing signs, but all jags have it at some level. Our first snake was a Jungle and we are on our 3rd now. The trend in carpets is documented lineage versus the "next greatest morph" in the BP world, so take your time picking one out from a respected breeder that will provide that information vice just getting a mutt from an unknown heritage.

As far as an enclosure, I don't have to worry about humidity except winter (va here), and they do well in tubs as hatchling to juveniles, but eventually you'll be looking for a 4x2x2 size for that adult snake.

ETA: Another cool thing is their coloring tends to come out better and better as they shed and grow, so seeing the changes is pretty cool!

couple pics of course

Your carpets are so gorgeous. Thanks for the awesome photo and info. I saw you mentioned size depended of morelia? Can you give me some insight on that? Sorry if I'm asking a bunch of questions lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Your carpets are so gorgeous. Thanks for the awesome photo and info. I saw you mentioned size depended of morelia? Can you give me some insight on that? Sorry if I'm asking a bunch of questions lol
    Size will depend on locality if pure or designer combo if intergrade you are looking at 5 to up to 12/13 feet , smallest being IJ largest being Coastal.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (07-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),danielwilu2525 (07-17-2017),Jollyrogers (07-17-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Size will depend on locality if pure or designer combo if intergrade you are looking at 5 to up to 12/13 feet , smallest being IJ largest being Coastal.
    I think I'll end getting an IJ then. Thank for the info guys!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilu2525 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danielwilu2525 View Post
    I think I'll end getting an IJ then. Thank for the info guys!
    If you are looking into 5 or 7 feet long animal you can also look into Jungle, Darwin, Bredli

And remember even a big coastal is still very handlelable and 13 feet specimen are really large and rare.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (07-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-18-2017),danielwilu2525 (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Jungles(cheynei) stay pretty small too if you want some more options, with animals typically maxing out right around 6(+/- 1) feet.

Here are a few pictures of my 21 year old jungle(VPI stock) I took about a week ago. He's under 7 feet long.

Examples of younger animals, sired by the above male. These were 1 year old at the taking.

A jungle(cheynei) morph, zebra, produced by Steven Katz from Mutton bloodlines:

Another jungle, a Palmerston locality(striped one) produced by Nick Mutton, pictured with a couple coastals also produced by Nick.

Typical hatchling jungle after it's first meal. Their yellows take up to a couple years to develop.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (07-18-2017),danielwilu2525 (07-18-2017),Jollyrogers (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Very beautiful!! I love your carpets. I think I'm going to get a diamond jaguar jungle, suits my taste and is STUNNING.

- - - Updated - - -

What size of prey does your 21 year old male eat? I'm wondering what they would take as adults.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast