Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

1 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User InherentResolve's Avatar
    Thanks

Columbian BCI question

Hello all, I am currently looking for a BCI, and I will be starting with a baby, or a yearling. My question is, when I go to get one, I would like it to be the columbian, and not central american or some sort of "mutt" if you will. What are things I can look for and ask whoever I buy from to make sure it is from the columbian locale and not CA or some sort of dwarf mixed in? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Locale is typically more specific than just Colombian.

This is a Barranquilla, Colombian boa. There are other areas of Colombia that yield beautiful boas as well.

If you are looking for specifics, don't buy a "common boa" because it may be mixed with BCC, BCI , Central American BCI and back again. Nothing wrong with it if you just want a healthy, affordable snake, but if you are looking into specifics, you have to find breeders that specialize in locality animals.

"Common" is somewhat of an "I don't really know" boa these days and though long thought of as a Colombian BCI, there is really no way to know.

These guys work with locality animals, and are the folks that sold me my boa.

My boa was actually produced by Gus Rentfro of the now, closed, Rio Bravo Reptiles.

You should have no issues getting a Colombian boa if you search around a bit.
    Last edited by Gio; 07-05-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    That makes a ton of sense, narrowing locale down from a whole country to parts of that country. I truly dont mind having a "common boa" but I am worried that when getting an "I dont know boa" that there may be some dwarf in there and I really do want to have a nice large female in the years to come. And from what I have researched lots of CA can be dwarfs, please correct if im wrong here. So I guess at the end of the day, I dont exactly care where its from, but I care whats gonna happen down the road. I dont want to be 5 to 8 years in and be wondering why my boa never hit 5 feet. Hopefully that makes sense

Thanks

Re: Columbian BCI question

Quote Originally Posted by InherentResolve View Post
    That makes a ton of sense, narrowing locale down from a whole country to parts of that country. I truly dont mind having a "common boa" but I am worried that when getting an "I dont know boa" that there may be some dwarf in there and I really do want to have a nice large female in the years to come. And from what I have researched lots of CA can be dwarfs, please correct if im wrong here. So I guess at the end of the day, I dont exactly care where its from, but I care whats gonna happen down the road. I dont want to be 5 to 8 years in and be wondering why my boa never hit 5 feet. Hopefully that makes sense
    I forgot this.
    https://www.facebook.com/legacyreptileslocalityboas

Central American breeders tend to keep on with their lines. Mixing can be used for morphs and such, but also remember some CI boas can still get large.

I you want to have a really good shot at a large female, look into a basin Suriname boa.

Although my male in the above picture is about 6.5 feet at 5 years old. Pretty good size.

These are from about 6 months ago.
    Bit better pictures for size reference.

Last edited by Gio; 07-05-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Gosh that is one absolutely gorgeous boa! I had pretty much made up my mind and was going to get a suriname BCC, up until I hear they dont have the best tempermants, they dont handle well, and that they are very picky about husbandry. I want to belive that is untrue. I want to belive that its all garbage and suriname boas are great and docile snakes to have. Where do you stand on that Gio?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to InherentResolve For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InherentResolve View Post
    Gosh that is one absolutely gorgeous boa! I had pretty much made up my mind and was going to get a suriname BCC, up until I hear they dont have the best tempermants, they dont handle well, and that they are very picky about husbandry. I want to belive that is untrue. I want to belive that its all garbage and suriname boas are great and docile snakes to have. Where do you stand on that Gio?
    I think that reputation is completely undeserved. Those observations were made way back when imports were brought into the country, usually sick and riddled with parasites. That made them very defensive on top of the wild caught and shipped stress. Back then husbandry was not fully understood, caging and heating were not nearly as advanced as today, and people didn't properly feed their animals.

I'd say if you want a Suri, by all means go for it.

They have been captive bred for years and with even the slightest bit of care, which you are already displaying based on your concerns, you could easily enjoy a Suri.

There are some basic rules to follow, but I think they are easily kept these days.

Buy from a trusted breeder and you'll be very happy!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I don't have much to add except to say that the majority of common boas you'll find will be Colombian or mostly Colombian.
    Anything with hypo in it or from a hypo litter also has Panamanian in the mix as the original founding salmon/hypo and Orange Tail lines are thought to be Panamanian.
    Good luck on your boa hunt!
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Generally speaking like mentioned, a CA or dwarf is going to be sold as that. Colombian is more or less just a common boa.

As for Surinames, they handle fine and have good temperaments depending on the animal. I have a Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname girl who is just an angel. She actually is tied for being the most social snake i got other than my 6.5' colombian BCI girl.

Key is like mentioned, get from a reputable breeder. I got my suriname girl from Christopher Wolf who is personal friends with Vin Russo who is another guy i would buy from. Both of them are a dying breed of breeders who keep their locality stuff pure blood. Both have a lot of Gus Rentfro's stock. Mind you though, with something like that comes a pretty hefty price. Gina was not cheap but she was well worth it. Like i said, she is just a 10 month old baby now but she is socially, close to being tied with the 2nd most social snake i have.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think that reputation is completely undeserved. Those observations were made way back when imports were brought into the country, usually sick and riddled with parasites. That made them very defensive on top of the wild caught and shipped stress. Back then husbandry was not fully understood, caging and heating were not nearly as advanced as today, and people didn't properly feed their animals.

I'd say if you want a Suri, by all means go for it.

They have been captive bred for years and with even the slightest bit of care, which you are already displaying based on your concerns, you could easily enjoy a Suri.

There are some basic rules to follow, but I think they are easily kept these days.

Buy from a trusted breeder and you'll be very happy!

Gio, Thank you so much for that, I never really thought about the husbandry issues coming form ignorance and wild caught animals. This will definitely be changing my way of thinking about surinames. Is there a specific website or two you recommend to purchase from? Im at a loss at who to chose for a boa. Thank you very much for your input and knowledge here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Generally speaking like mentioned, a CA or dwarf is going to be sold as that. Colombian is more or less just a common boa.

As for Surinames, they handle fine and have good temperaments depending on the animal. I have a Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname girl who is just an angel. She actually is tied for being the most social snake i got other than my 6.5' colombian BCI girl.

Key is like mentioned, get from a reputable breeder. I got my suriname girl from Christopher Wolf who is personal friends with Vin Russo who is another guy i would buy from. Both of them are a dying breed of breeders who keep their locality stuff pure blood. Both have a lot of Gus Rentfro's stock. Mind you though, with something like that comes a pretty hefty price. Gina was not cheap but she was well worth it. Like i said, she is just a 10 month old baby now but she is socially, close to being tied with the 2nd most social snake i have.
    Sauzo, Incredible snake you have there, and with your input and gios assuring me of the suriname temperament, im going to go with a suriname BCC. as I asked gio, can you provide a few links to reputable breeders for BCC? Thank you again for your knowledge and input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast