Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question vivarium questions for vivarium upkeepers

Hi, I have a lot of questions I would like to ask to anyone who has been a caretaker of a naturalistic vivarium for Ball Pythons. I do not own a BP yet, but I would like to adopt one within this year. I have decided that going with a natural self cleaning vivarium would be my best choice of housing. Below I have some questions that I would love to get answers/opinion on. You will also find any mini questions I have linked below the main numbered question with the arrow sign. Wow, I hope that wasn't too confusing. Thank you.

1. I have heard that before you introduce your snake to it's new natural environment, you must quarantine it to ensure it is healthy and disease free. Do you recommend this?

--> If you do, how long should the quarantine period last?

--> What size and type of tub/tank is the best for this period?

--> Is it still a requirement for the snake to have heating and lights during this time?

2. How long should you wait for the bioactive terrarium to establish? Should you feed the cleanup crew during this time?

--> If so, what foods should you feed them?

3. When you feel sure about the health of the snake, should you introduce the snake to it's new home all at once or in steps?

4. I know it is good for the plants to have a grow light. Someone said that BPs dislike extra light, and that a grow light for the plants would stress the snake out. Do you think this is true? If it is, could I keep the light but change the color of the light red so the BP cannot see it? (Is this even a real thing or necessary?)

5. Another thing a person told me is that it would be unwise to have a natural vivarium setup because you would need to water the plants often, and that would cause scale rot quickly. I wasn't sure if it was true, but I want to put the health of the snake first. How would you care for the plants properly in the vivarium and ensure the health of the snake?

--> How much in general should you be misting the terrarium for a BP? Does that amount change with the natural vivarium?

--> What is the best way to keep humidity at a stable range?

6. What would you do if the cultures/cleanup crew "took over" the terrarium?

7. How often should you be placing leaves after others rot or get eaten away?

Thank you very much. I will let you know if I have any more questions

Thanks

Re: vivarium questions for vivarium upkeepers

If this will be your only snake you don't really have anything to quarantine it from. But I would still keep it in a sterile tub on paper towels for a while to check for parasites. This will also give your bioactive enclosure more time to establish if you do decide to go that route. But cleaning up after one ball python would probably be less work than caring for a bioactive enclosure. Give it a couple hides and yes, REGULATED heat is required but light is not. Ball pythons do not require any light but if you do add lights for your plants keep them on a timer and schedule it to fit both the plants needs for light and the snakes need for darkness. Here's a link with lots of information about building and maintaining a bioactive vivarium and starting your own clean up crew cultures

http://www.neherpetoculture.com/careall

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute