Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

1 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Questions from a reptile noob...

So I've been interested in snakes for a while now, specifically the ball python. I've done some research on these beautiful creatures, and at first I thought I learned enough information to be able to care for one adequately, but now I'm having second thoughts. So I came here hoping you wonderful people could help clear some things up for me.

1. What size rodent would an adult female ball python (4-5 ft) eat? Would it be a mouse or rat, and what sizing? And when exactly would I feed her? I've heard every 5-7 days, but I've also heard that some people feed theirs every 10 days, or even once a month. What do you recommend?
    2. According to my notes, the warm side of the enclosure should be 95 F and 78 F for the cool side. Are those good temps? I've also heard that the humidity should be around 40-60% regularly and 70% during shedding, is that correct? What do you recommend?
    3. Should they have 8-12 hours of light daily and have a night/day cycle? I've been told that it's best for them, but I've also been told that it stresses them out.
    4. I'm a little worried about scale rot and other illnesses my (maybe) future snake could get, what are some common illnesses snakes get and how are they treated? How can I prevent any of these from occurring?
    5. I know ball pythons can be picky eaters. If they stop eating, how can I get them to eat again? I plan on feeding frozen, but what if they don't take? Or how would I switch them over to eating live/frozen?
    6. What would be the best place to purchase a ball python? I've heard expos are great places, but a reptile/aquatics store near me sells some nice snakes for a good price, they seem to be healthy, and the staff seems knowledgeable. What would you do? Also, what should I look for when purchasing a snake (like, how should I make sure everything is healthy, no mites, breathing issues, etc.)?
    7. This isn't really a question, but what is some good advice you experienced snake owners can give me? What are some valuable things I will be needing for my possible future snake (besides heating mat, hides, water bowl)? What are some things I should/need to know before getting a snake?

I'm sorry if this seems a bit much, I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared and capable before I bring home one of these cuties...

note: I'm a little dyslexic, so I sorta have trouble understanding things, even after reading about them, so please have patience or try to explain it very simply please, thanks!
    Last edited by Misha; 07-02-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, happy to help you out...

1) They prey size will change as the snake grows, but an adult female will take a medium rat (or 3-5 mice depending on size) every 7-10 days. You will have to determine what works best for you and the specific animal.

2) 95 is too hot 90-92 is ideal for a hot spot. 80-82 is ideal for your cool side. Humidity is ideal in the 50-60% range with a bump to 70-80% during shed.

3) BPs do NOT need a light cycle. They don't need a light at all. Whatever light enters the room and enclosure naturally will be enough.

4) Snakes get illnesses, just like any living thing. The best way to prevent them is with proper husbandry, keeping a clean enclosure and keeping yourself clean when handling your snake or going into the enclosure.

5) Frozen/Thawed is the preferred prey. The best way to get a snake who accepts F/T is to purchase from a reputable breeder who already has the animal readily accepting F/T. There are MANY ways to get a snake to switch over, but that's a whole thread on it's own...

6) I would advise researching breeders. See if any are local to you. check out morphmarket.com and look around. You may be able to find some of the breeders near you are going to the local expo. You can always have it shipped. Just do your homework on the breeder and ask questions. But buy from a reputable breeder. As far as reptile/aquatics shops, some are better than others. Many do not breed their animals and are just looking to flip them for a profit, so that will seriously depend on the individual shop, since some can be really good.

7) Read through the stickies on this forum to learn about the proper setups. Study, research and learn. Not just the basics, but learn all you can about the animals themselves, not just how to keep them in captivity. The more you know about the animal and understand, the better you are equipped to provide a proper home.

One thing you didn't mention is a thermostat. VERY important and no enclosure should be heated without one.

Make sure you have ALL your equipment home, setup and running properly and dialed in BEFORE bringing your snake home.

I hope this helps. We are here when/if you have more questions.

P.S. Be careful who you take advice from, and always get info from multiple sources before you believe it. Don't trust one person, especially one person in a retail setting.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 07-02-2017 at 07:36 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EvilKitty (07-02-2017),tttaylorrr (07-02-2017)