Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,155

0 members and 1,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Question New ball pythons...

My husband just brought home two ball pythons from someone who was selling them/couldn't keep them - I had a ball python when I was younger so while it isn't my first snake experience, it's been a while... and since back then 15 years ago I was not able to keep it for more than a couple of years this is a while different scenario because...
    These snakes are BIG - I am sure that one of them is the maximum size that a ball python can reach. I can't remember if the max out at 3-5 ft but this one looks like it is at the max...
    There are two, they advised both female and male, and that the male was the bigger one...

I'm pretty sure that it would be the other way around, right? If there is one that is 4-5 ft it's probably a female. The other is pretty big too, but not as big as the other...

They were feeding it live mice, and I'm thinking that they need to be eating rats... and I would prefer to buy the frozen ones... but with them being used to the live mice I'm wondering if it will be an issue feeding them? Also the "male" - or female BIG one hasn't eaten while the other wolfed down 3 mice in one sitting...

I'm sure I can probably find someone useful info here, but HELLO and maybe some of you have some advise/tips

(they were living in a small aquarium too, and are temporarily living in it so we are going to have to buy a bigger terrarium/tank (??) - they have been living together and the prior owner said that "the female" laid eggs which he just disposed of... ...
    Help! - thank you!

Thanks

Re: New ball pythons...

Well, just to follow up on this I went and got medium frozen mice today since they didn't have rats and went to feed the "bigger" ball python - it immediately ate, so good news I guess... Since the other "smaller" one has been sitting in it's tank getting acclimated I thought I would try and handle it... well, bad idea... it immediately struck and bit me. I have had experience with these snakes before and never have I been bitten. I was scared to put the other one back in the tank. They both are really "fast" or "jumpy" compared to ball pythons I've seen before?
    Maybe it's a temperament thing?
    Yikes...
    It got me a little scared to mess with them now...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

New ball pythons...

Quote Originally Posted by Dancy123 View Post
    Well, just to follow up on this I went and got medium frozen mice today since they didn't have rats and went to feed the "bigger" ball python - it immediately ate, so good news I guess... Since the other "smaller" one has been sitting in it's tank getting acclimated I thought I would try and handle it... well, bad idea... it immediately struck and bit me. I have had experience with these snakes before and never have I been bitten. I was scared to put the other one back in the tank. They both are really "fast" or "jumpy" compared to ball pythons I've seen before?
    Maybe it's a temperament thing?
    Yikes...
    It got me a little scared to mess with them now...
    Could be it simply smelt the food and when you're hand went it presumed your warm hand was food ...

Could just be a nervous , protective nip as a warning .

Could even be just going into shedding mode and it's not too noticeable - that's another time they're likely to lash out .

They usually suggest leaving new snakes to settle in at least a week or so before handling ...

Oh and never approach them from the front , I always get my hand behind their eyeshot , if needs be - move their head away gently with a hook or something ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 07-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks
    They probably just need time to adjust to their new environment and surroundings. Its good one/both are eating though, but I would give them 10+days before trying to handle/play with them
    1.0 Banana Hypo
    1.0 Pastave Enchi
    1.0 Pastel +
    0.1 Normal Het. Hypo
    0.1 Killer Blast
    0.1 Killer Calibee
    0.1 Queenbee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJay For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-02-2017)

Thanks
    Re: size, it might not be the other way around, female's can run on the smaller side sometimes and male's can run on the bigger size some times. Either way, their sex should not affect their care. I wouldn't try to figure it out on your own, if you need to know ask a herp vet to sex them for you.

Re: food: it is difficult for adult sized BP's to get enough food on mice, as even adult mice are too small a prey, meaning that you would need to feed multiple ones per feeding. Usually it can be hard to transition a BP from live to frozen/thawed, and from mice to rats. I really like the advice in this article on making those transitions: https://reptimes.com/ball-pythons-feeding/