Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Burm info?

Thanks

Burm info?

Well I've recently bought into the idea of owning a burmese python sometime in my life, Ive researched up and down the internet but information is scarce, contradicting and straight up false. Then I thought, who better to ask than you guys?

I want to know everything I could possibly need know before getting one from average growth rate (I know it differs with feeding) to how to tame if kept from baby size, the DOs and the DONTs, how often to feed, how often to handle or leave alone, temps, humidity, temperament, odd behaviors, normal behaviors, breeding weight (I don't know if I'd ever use this but if anyone knows I'd like to know), I want to be the most prepared owner when I do get one (after moving out to the US mainland) and Im ready to ask all the questions and read all the books and everything.

You all have the opportunity to help someone who actually wants to make an educated decision so give me everything you've got!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    It's going to be pretty much the same info as for any large constrictor. Temps will be 80F cool side with a 90F hot spot. Humidity I would guess around 70%.

As for how to tame them, again same as any large constrictor. Give it until it's eaten 4 or 5 meals, then work on slowly earning trust.

I imagine they grow the same rate as retics which is fast as heck. So I would expect the baby to hit 7' in a year. They top out around 13-14' I believe.

And every snake will have it's own personality. Some will be calm and tame easily, some will never like people and some will just tolerate it.

Bottom line is you need a big cage and big food for them. Caesar my SD retic is just over a year old and already pounds jumbo rats every 7-10 days like they are candy. They leave a decent lump for about 2 days. Just remember, you will be dealing with a strong and large constrictor in a couple years that if you decide you don't want it anymore, you will probably have a fairly hard time trying to rehome. Just keep that in mind as something like a retic or burm is going to be a big commitment.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

LiadanCroft (06-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    If I were you I'd get one that's about six months old, well-started on feeding, and advertised as chill or easygoing.

I have one that's six months now, I've had her for two months, because her prior owner couldn't deal with the baby snappiness. This girl is a pistol and is very slowly taming down but for several weeks just looking into her tub would cause her to hiss and strike out.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-30-2017 at 03:23 PM.