Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

4 members and 3,243 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Red face New Owner - PVC Cage Heating Question

Hi Guys!

I'm a soon-to-be BP owner, however have yet to actually purchase one because I want to make sure I have everything else purchased/set-up before I even bring one home!

I have been reading post after post on this forum, the care sheet multiple times, etc, - there is sooo much information!

One thing I am still a little confused on is the best heating option in a PVC cage. I think I have made my decision to buy a PVC cage from HerpHouses (based on numerous reviews) - and I just wanted some opinions on what is the best (and safest) way to achieve the perfect temperature?

Registered User VIP CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Owner - PVC Cage Heating Question

Radiant heat panel is the best. Look at boaphile website

Thanks

My preference is a radiant heat panel for PVC cages. I use ProProducts, but many people use the panels from Reptile Basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    A lot depends on your room temps, etc. I use Animal Plastics pvc cages and use heat tape. However, I keep my cages in a heated reptile room that never gets below 75f. If your cage will be in a cooler area, a radiant heat panel is a better bet, as it will raise the ambient / air temp as well as creating a hot spot. Either method requires a thermostat and if you use a heat panel, you must get a proportional thermostat like a herpstat...not an "on/off" type. The proportional will just use the percentage of power the heat panel needs to maintain the proper temp. This is very important as heat panels run at full power can melt or distort.

I do not personally have any RHPs, but have heard very good things about proproducts.. I have heard some negative things about the reptile basics ones, but have no personal experience with them. You should purchase the panel either in conjunction with the cage, or after the cage so that you can discuss cage height / size and ambient room temps with the heat panel business to decide which will be the best one for your cage. I know that if you go with Animal plastics cages, you can order a pro products heat panel and then have AP install it for you.

Also, expect a wait time for your cage. I think most manufacturers have a 3-4 month turn around time.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

I've always used the RHP's from Reptile Basics and have had no issues whatsoever with them. My cages are from Animal Plastics their T8's.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I also vote RHP for PVC cages if you need ambient heating anyway. It's just all around nice, creates a gradient in ambient temps, makes a hot spot, and doesn't drain humidity out of the air.