Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,424

2 members and 3,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

BCI caging sizes

I'm trying to buy some AP cages for my 3 boas but I'm having some trouble finding definitive answers for what size I should go for. I'm including pictures of the animals in question for size reference.

I have a less than a year old male (approx 1.5-2 feet), a ~18month old female (approx 3 feet), and another female of unknown age (approximately 6 feet). I have no way of knowing how old the bigger girl is, as she was a rescue, and she was in pretty poor body condition when I got her so I'm not sure if she will even grow much larger than she is now... but again I have no way of knowing.

What size AP cage should I get for each? How tall does the cage need to be, minimum? I'm very short on space and I'm not sure if I'll even be able to squeeze in a 6 foot cage if that's the required size... I'll have to make it work if I do need to go that big, though.

Also, what's the best way to heat AP cages? My apartment's ambient temperature is 76 degrees in the summer and 79 in the winter. Can whichever heating element I use be regulated on 1 thermostat for all 3 cages?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,860 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I'd get a stack of 3 48"x30"x18" enclosures as it's unlikely the females will ever outgrow them - and if they do it will be so far in the future you probably won't be living in an apartment any more. The 18" height makes it easier to reach into the back corners for cleaning.

Heat using an RHP in each enclosure, one good thermostat can run all three.

Thanks
    48" (length) x 24" (depth) x 18" (height) enclosures would probably house all three comfortably for life. If you end up with a female that reaches 8' I would recommend moving her up to 6' x 24" x 18". As BCR said, though. That isn't going to happen any time soon. Currently, my biggest Boa is only 4 1/2 feet long and he is still perfectly comfortable in a 41 qt. rack. Your smaller ones would be as well. So, you could always just buy/build one bigger enclosure at a time as needed if you don't want to spend all of that money at once on three of them. Your bigger female is definitely ready for a 4' enclosure right now, though...

Thanks

Re: BCI caging sizes

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I'd get a stack of 3 48"x30"x18" enclosures as it's unlikely the females will ever outgrow them - and if they do it will be so far in the future you probably won't be living in an apartment any more. The 18" height makes it easier to reach into the back corners for cleaning.

Heat using an RHP in each enclosure, one good thermostat can run all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    48" (length) x 24" (depth) x 18" (height) enclosures would probably house all three comfortably for life. If you end up with a female that reaches 8' I would recommend moving her up to 6' x 24" x 18". As BCR said, though. That isn't going to happen any time soon. Currently, my biggest Boa is only 4 1/2 feet long and he is still perfectly comfortable in a 41 qt. rack. Your smaller ones would be as well. So, you could always just buy/build one bigger enclosure at a time as needed if you don't want to spend all of that money at once on three of them. Your bigger female is definitely ready for a 4' enclosure right now, though...
    Thanks both of y'all. They're currently in a 32qt (male), 41qt (smaller female) and a huge 200qt tub for the bigger female, but the tub has a slightly smaller footprint than a 4x2 cage so yes definitely time for an upgrade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Personally, i would get 6x30x18 T25s. I have my 6.5' girl and 5.5' girl and my 6.5' retic all in 48x24x15 T10s and imo its a bit small. I ordered them all T25s.

As for heating, i use flexwatt on all my cages only but i also keep the house around 78F or so and then snake room stays a little warmer. In the winter if it gets really cold, i have an oil filled radiator for the room. So winter should be fine if you keep the room around 79F. 76F in summer seems a bit low. I try and keep them at around 80F ambient.

And finally, running all 3 flexwatt on 1 t-stat. If it had 3 ports like a Herpstat 4 or 6, sure. If you are talking about running it all on something like a Herpstat 1, it can be done but i would say dont do it. You want each snake to have their own channel or t-stat so if something goes wrong with 1 channel, it wont affect all the snakes.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    If you go with the 4'x30" footprint cages, that should be plenty of room... I would add the optional basking shelf. Mine are in 4'x2'x either 18" or 15" with basking shelves but mine are all males and will likely not outgrow them... If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the 30" deep cages instead just in case. I heat mine using flexwatt from AP and I have a herpstat 4 so that each cage has its' own channel. I think some people do heat a stack of cages using one channel, if all heating elements are the same, but IMO it is easier to regulate if each has its' own channel.

I would also opt for the door locks (I have the sliding glass doors on mine with locks) and AP now offers recessed LED lighting (not on their site, you have to call them about it) and that is a great option as well. Keep in mind you will have a ~4 month wait for your cages from the time you place your order. It is worth it, but can be hard to wait.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS