Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

0 members and 3,352 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bull, Ball or Garter

Okay so no separate feeding tank. And yes,Garters are quite different than what I've mentioned in my other threads but I've always liked Garters I'm kind of leaning away from them though and I did make a thread about maybe getting a constricter as a first snake
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Okay so no separate feeding tank. And yes,Garters are quite different than what I've mentioned in my other threads but I've always liked Garters I'm kind of leaning away from them though and I did make a thread about maybe getting a constricter as a first snake

There are some beautiful garters out there, awesome snakes. I was just surprised you were considering one compared to the others you mentioned.

Thanks
    FWIW, I was a non-snake person before getting one for my 8 year old daughter last November. A super pastel ball python. It was perfect from the beginning. As in, even as a baby it seemed like an impressive snake. Then my 5 year old son got a baby banana morph and I soon picked up a Bredli. The BPs have been so easy to enjoy and the Bredli has been a nice change.

I feel good about providing a nice environment for them but I don't feel the husbandry requirements are difficult at all. I can't speak to the other snakes you have looked at but a BP, either normal or a morph, is alot of fun to take care of and they seem to be able to enjoy a good amount of handling. They have been very easy to show off to others who are interested in a way that the Bredli is not.

Also, they have grown alot and now seem even more impressive.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks
    OP - you may want to make a list & set priorities from high to low (size, temperament, handling, caging/husbandry, activeness, cleanliness, smell, prey, feeding schedule/response, etc.) and list the snakes your research proves best under each category/priority.

Prior to buying my kids their first snake I made a similar list and a Dumerils Boa seemed like a winner; however, caging size was one of my top priorities and I didn't want to go bigger than a 3'x2', so we ended up with a male BP. Although he's been great I think the play-doh snakes my kids make move more... And in hindsight I think a BP makes a better 2nd or 3rd snake, at least for me because I hate throwing away F/T prey & wish I had also had a hungry Kingsnake or other to take refusals (should there be a BP hunger strike).

Good luck.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikingr View Post
    OP - you may want to make a list & set priorities from high to low (size, temperament, handling, caging/husbandry, activeness, cleanliness, smell, prey, feeding schedule/response, etc.) and list the snakes your research proves best under each category/priority.

Prior to buying my kids their first snake I made a similar list and a Dumerils Boa seemed like a winner; however, caging size was one of my top priorities and I didn't want to go bigger than a 3'x2', so we ended up with a male BP. Although he's been great I think the play-doh snakes my kids make move more... And in hindsight I think a BP makes a better 2nd or 3rd snake, at least for me because I hate throwing away F/T prey & wish I had also had a hungry Kingsnake or other to take refusals (should there be a BP hunger strike).

Good luck.

My King is always happy to take any refusals from any of my snakes. He'll eat anything, any time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

vikingr (06-28-2017)

Thanks

I really like Dumerils Boas...I would just have to convince my mother that they couldn't kill me :/

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    It is starting to sound to me like you and your mother need to have a long, serious, reality based discussion. There is plenty of factual information to be found about the the capabilities of the various species danger wise. The only two species known to eat humans as far as I know, and these are very rare cases, are green anacondas and reticulated pythons and your are not talking about these guys. Your mother's cat could be in danger from a larger boa. Other than that the animals you are considering are not really capable of causing any great harm beyond a nasty bite and most of the species you have discussed are not even capable of that.

If your mother is unwilling to consider facts beyond unfounded fears, there is not a lot you can do. Some people are just afraid of things and there is very little you can do to talk them into anything. Mom's house. Mom's rules, whether you agree with them or not.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (06-27-2017),Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017),redshepherd (06-28-2017),vikingr (06-28-2017)

Thanks

I think most of it is from the name, some people hear "Boa" or "Python" and think "Dangerous squeezy Thing". I've convinced her Ball Pythons are okay so maybe if I just present her with a few articles about how they cannot kill you and how they don't pose a danger to humans, she might be okay with it in time? If not I like Ball Pythons slot and she was actually pointing out BPs she liked on MorphMarket.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),rock (06-27-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Try something like this

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/lesser-mojave/

Many who are afraid of snakes are not real intimidated by a white blue eyed one.

Or show her this (my five year old with the nastiest animal in my collection) She has no problem controlling it. It is a butt ugly animal but she just had to have it.

Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 06-27-2017 at 05:00 PM.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-27-2017),John1982 (06-27-2017),Kcl (06-28-2017),Nellasaur (06-28-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-28-2017),rock (06-27-2017),tttaylorrr (06-27-2017),vikingr (06-28-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    awesome picture Jodan!!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-27-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast