Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

2 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Problem With My First New Ball Python

Today I got my first ball python at a reptile show and while I was there she was really inquisitive and was exploring a lot. She was like that in the car and when I first set up her 20 gallon terrarium. She was exploring her enclosure and wasn't nervous at all. But after leaving her a about 5 hours and came back to hold her she was all balled up when I took her out and she was noting like the snake at the show.

If anybody can tell me what I should do or if anything is wrong, please do, it will help me so much.

Thanks

Re: Problem With My First New Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Suazo View Post
    Today I got my first ball python at a reptile show and while I was there she was really inquisitive and was exploring a lot. She was like that in the car and when I first set up her 20 gallon terrarium. She was exploring her enclosure and wasn't nervous at all. But after leaving her a about 5 hours and came back to hold her she was all balled up when I took her out and she was noting like the snake at the show.

If anybody can tell me what I should do or if anything is wrong, please do, it will help me so much.
    Its possible she was just exploring. Did you take her out during the day? They have a tendancy to be less active during the day. (PS try not to hold her too much the first few days so she is able to feel safe and secure in her new home) but my BP rarely explores during the day and usually stays under his hide (they're called Ball pythons for a reason 😉, bc they like curling up in balls) obviously get a second opinion from mine, but I dont think there's need to be alarmed

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring! 😊

Thanks

How much does the snake weigh? If you don't know, about how long is it and how thick around. Also, describe your setup - how many hides, how are you heating it, what substrate, etc.

In general, you want to leave your new snake alone for a week to settle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (06-25-2017),Timelugia (06-25-2017)

Thanks

My ball python is about four months old and she is bout 20 inches long and weighs about a pound. She lives in a 20 gallon long tank that is about 90 degrees on the hot side and 80 degrees on the cool side. She has forest floor bedding and a log hide on the hot side on the tank. It's heated with a heat mat and it has a water bowl on the cool side of the tank, that's really all there is to it.

Thanks

The first time I took her out it was about 2:00 P.M. and the second time it was about 9:00 p.m. so it seemed to be more active during the day, but thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'd say leave her be for a solid week other than any spot cleaning that needs done. And try to get a pair of matching, tighter hides with one entry, they can be as simple as dog bowls with an opening underneath, or tupperware with holes cut for entry. Logs can leave a BP feeling insecure, which will contribute to stress issues more than some other kinds of snakes.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You need to unplug your heater immediately if you aren't using a thermostat. You're risking serious burns or worse to your animal running a UTH unregulated.

Also, read the stickies on this forum and get your setup and husbandry on point.

You're going to want to leave your new pet alone for the meantime while you get everything all set up. You want your snake to get settled in and eating prior to doing much handling, if any at all. I personally like to get my snakes to eat 3 consecutive meals without refusal before doing much handling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (06-25-2017)

Thanks

Unplug heat pad if its not on a thermostat... how are you measuring temperature? You say enclosure temps are "about 80/90".. you need to kno.. not be guessing..where are you measuring temps in cage? Humidity gauge? Didnt see that U have one.... 2 hides..a must... no handle for minimum of 1 week, preferably after and only whn its eating consistently no matter how long tht is.

No worries.. w proper care you will have that snake a long time..there is plenty of time to handle it. For now, do whats best for the snake and resist the urge to mess w it now.

Suggest reading stickies on this site to learn proper care and cage set up...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeanne; 06-25-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    What the heck!!"" You tried to steal my forum name!!! Anyways, you just got the BP. It needs a few weeks to settle in. I wouldnt mess with it for at least 2 weeks. Just change water and spot clean if needed. Once it eats 4-5 times in a row, then you can start working with it.

And honestly, if you bought a BP to be a social 'pet', you picked the wrong snake lol. BPs are usually pretty secretive. If you want a more social snake, get a boa or retic or a colubrid.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    What the heck!!"" You tried to steal my forum name!!! Anyways, you just got the BP. It needs a few weeks to settle in. I wouldnt mess with it for at least 2 weeks. Just change water and spot clean if needed. Once it eats 4-5 times in a row, then you can start working with it.

And honestly, if you bought a BP to be a social 'pet', you picked the wrong snake lol. BPs are usually pretty secretive. If you want a more social snake, get a boa or retic or a colubrid.
    I thought you were the OP at first, I was very confused LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (06-26-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast