Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

1 members and 3,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User farmer1911 45ACP's Avatar
    Thanks

Large coastal shaking?

I have a large 8 foot coastal that whenever he is picked up or lifts his head up to strike to eat. He shakes likes he is unsteady and when you lift him up he shakes like he cant support himself. He was purchased as a adult male so I am not sure when or if this is normal to happen? He eats and breeds fine.
    Have a GREAT day!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to farmer1911 45ACP For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-21-2017)

Thanks
    get a vet

Thanks

Re: Large coastal shaking?

Quote Originally Posted by 6037201 View Post
    get a vet
    He will be just wanted to see if anyone else dealt with this.
    Have a GREAT day!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to farmer1911 45ACP For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-21-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6037201 View Post
    get a vet
    Real helpful.. Maybe if you don't have anything to add then don't say anything at all. We want beginners and people that need help to feel like they can get help without being told to "go to vet". There are no stupid questions except the one you don't ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (06-23-2017),jmcrook (06-21-2017),JodanOrNoDan (06-22-2017),L.West (06-22-2017),maausen (06-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by farmer1911 45ACP View Post
    I have a large 8 foot coastal that whenever he is picked up or lifts his head up to strike to eat. He shakes likes he is unsteady and when you lift him up he shakes like he cant support himself. He was purchased as a adult male so I am not sure when or if this is normal to happen? He eats and breeds fine.
    At this point I wouldn't worry if there are no other symptoms. A older lady (70 yrs old) lives a couple miles from me that has 14' Coastal's. She has raised them from Hatchlings. She loves to help people and answer questions. Look her up on YOUTUBE. She answers all comments ect.. Her youtube name is 1softkiss. I'll post a couple links to her for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWp8qCglRPQ

Facebook : https://m.facebook.com/SnakeHugs?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-22-2017),rock (06-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    At this point I wouldn't worry if there are no other symptoms. A older lady (70 yrs old) lives a couple miles from me that has 14' Coastal's. She has raised them from Hatchlings. She loves to help people and answer questions. Look her up on YOUTUBE. She answers all comments ect.. Her youtube name is 1softkiss. I'll post a couple links to her for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWp8qCglRPQ

Facebook : https://m.facebook.com/SnakeHugs?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

I like her, (softkiss) but she sometimes is a bit out of reality. I believe she owns Chewy, a large male coastal, and Jade a large female. I don't think Chewy is 14' or the weight she says he is or he would be the largest recorded coastal carpet. However I think she is very passionate about her snakes and gives everything she has to them. Shaking could be a number of things. If there is ANY Jag in the genetics, neurological issues are common and normal. If the snake is loading up to strike food, a little shaking is also common. My boa looks like he's having a nervous breakdown before feeding when he is really hungry.

"Get a vet" isn't something I'd rush off to do unless you see other signs like mucus coming from the mouth, bubbles or some type of labored breathing. If the snake is constantly "stargazing" there could be some serious issues.

Is there a way to better describe the shaking? Does it exhibit cork screw movements, which are closely related to the Jag gene, but also IBD?

I'm certainly not a vet and won't discourage you from going if YOU think it is needed, however I do own a coastal carpet. She's a strange eater and only does some side to side shaking, more like swaying if I feed live. Otherwise she is very peculiar about food and will often slowly wrap and open her mouth for the frozen stuff.

Did the previous owner note any of these behaviors?

If the snake is eating, shedding and properly thermoregulating without constantly soaking, stargazing or making strange noises things are probably not critical. Keep an eye on things and keep us posted.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-21-2017),KevinK (10-17-2017)

Thanks

I "agreed" to go to the vet to keep the peace since he has had this for a long time and has no other issues a vet cant really do anything but I hate internet drama so after asking around it seems he has had this for a long time he eats and shed fines so I think it might just be his age? Who knows. Thank you and mr sully these are the answers i seek lol
    Have a GREAT day!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to farmer1911 45ACP For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I like her, (softkiss) but she sometimes is a bit out of reality. I believe she owns Chewy, a large male coastal, and Jade a large female. I don't think Chewy is 14' or the weight she says he is or he would be the largest recorded coastal carpet. However I think she is very passionate about her snakes and gives everything she has to them. .
    Your on 100% Gio.. She lives up the road here and Chewy is actually 13 ft not 14. Jade is a bit smaller/younger and they never did lock this year.. She also has 2 - 14' Argentine Boas. She loves them but they are nasty. She has permanent nerve damage from one locking onto her forearm. When you drive by her house the Boa Sunroom goes around the side. Its like a big enclosed snake porch they enter from a window inside hahahahah. She also has Corns and a clutch from them now along with Balls ect.. Here in NY she is called " The Crazy Snake Lady" and she is a kind and very well known women

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-22-2017),Wharf Rat (10-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Your on 100% Gio.. She lives up the road here and Chewy is actually 13 ft not 14. Jade is a bit smaller/younger and they never did lock this year.. She also has 2 - 14' Argentine Boas. She loves them but they are nasty. She has permanent nerve damage from one locking onto her forearm. When you drive by her house the Boa Sunroom goes around the side. Its like a big enclosed snake porch they enter from a window inside hahahahah. She also has Corns and a clutch from them now along with Balls ect.. Here in NY she is called " The Crazy Snake Lady" and she is a kind and very well known women

Ha that's great LOL!
    Chewy is no doubt huge, but I think she said he was at least 60 pounds. I think the largest EVER recorded was only 49 pounds. I'd have to re-check my copy of THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON.

I remember her (softkiss) from the old redtailboa.net site and she took a beating there early on. Lots of knowledgeable boa folks called her out. She was just trying to have fun and make friends, but she was WAY off on some of her practices back then.

The thing is, I dig her attitude and I think her snakes keep her going and happy so more power to her.

My main concern is some of her advice isn't really suitable for beginners. Snakes DO NOT love us or typically enjoy us. I think they can recognize our scents and possibly come to have a secure feeling in our presence after some time, but it is fairly well documented that they lack areas of the brain that higher intelligent animals posses. She tends to put a lot of human feelings and emotions into her animals which is misleading to folks that don't know any better.

Even still, I think she sends a positive message and I like that. I can totally see people thinking she's nuts, but I also get some strange looks when I tell people we have 4 snakes here LOL!

I think the OP's snake is more than likely OK.

Thanks for the info Sully, I think its pretty cool you have info on softkiss. She's really into these critters, that's for sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Ha that's great LOL!
    Chewy is no doubt huge, but I think she said he was at least 60 pounds. I think the largest EVER recorded was only 49 pounds. I'd have to re-check my copy of THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON.

I remember her (softkiss) from the old redtailboa.net site and she took a beating there early on. Lots of knowledgeable boa folks called her out. She was just trying to have fun and make friends, but she was WAY off on some of her practices back then.

The thing is, I dig her attitude and I think her snakes keep her going and happy so more power to her.

My main concern is some of her advice isn't really suitable for beginners. Snakes DO NOT love us or typically enjoy us. I think they can recognize our scents and possibly come to have a secure feeling in our presence after some time, but it is fairly well documented that they lack areas of the brain that higher intelligent animals posses. She tends to put a lot of human feelings and emotions into her animals which is misleading to folks that don't know any better.

Even still, I think she sends a positive message and I like that. I can totally see people thinking she's nuts, but I also get some strange looks when I tell people we have 4 snakes here LOL!

I think the OP's snake is more than likely OK.

Thanks for the info Sully, I think its pretty cool you have info on softkiss. She's really into these critters, that's for sure.
    Your right, she is off in her own world and has a bit of a following and she needs to keep it at that. She's happy, all the snakes are healthy and thats good enough for me. I agree 100% her tactics are not good at all for newbies .. Someone could really get hurt as she has several times. She is one Tuff Old Bird hahahahahaha.
    I also think the OP's Carpet is ok.. Sometimes we look hard and if we do that we can always find something a little od that cam worry us hahaha. Have a good night.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-22-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast