Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

3 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibd?

Thanks

Ibd?

We just picked up another moonglow boa, about 3 weeks ago, at the MidAtlantic Reptile shie. We're told he's about 1yr old. We have a super moonglow who is also 1yr. The breeder said they're from the same clutch. Either that, or just born the same time. Well, she's about 4ft & he's about 1ft & as thick as my thumb. The breeder said he's that small from being on the road & not fed as often. Fair enough.
    Our concern is he's showing signs of IBD. He ate the 1st day (about 3 weeks ago) & has shown no interest since. He's gone into shed but what's come off was in pieces. We've had to soak him & start to remove the rest. The most alarming part is he's tolting his head backwards & twisting it around (like Stevie Wonder). I've also noted some "star gazing" signs but wasn't totally sure if it's just bc he's out of his enclosure & curious. Last night, he was very lethargic during handling. We're getting him to the vets asap but I wanted to ask on here. Until last night, I had no udea about this disease. I have a video clip but need to get it uploaded.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    You need to rule out overheating and pesticides before you go the IBD route. Please let us know what the vet has to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    A lot of snakes will stargaze or show symptoms that mimic IBD when they are badly sick, and there are a lot of other problems (as noted above, pesticides or overheating), or even other diseases besides IBD. I wouldn't ever throw those three letters around without a positive test from the lab at the University of Florida.

Hopefully the new arrival has been properly quarantined well away from your other snakes. If it dies I would have it necropsied.

Thanks

Re: Ibd?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A lot of snakes will stargaze or show symptoms that mimic IBD when they are badly sick, and there are a lot of other problems (as noted above, pesticides or overheating), or even other diseases besides IBD. I wouldn't ever throw those three letters around without a positive test from the lab at the University of Florida.

Hopefully the new arrival has been properly quarantined well away from your other snakes. If it dies I would have it necropsied.

Thanks for the input guys. We check his temp regularly w/the temp gun, as well as being on a digital thermostat. We bumped up the humidity bc we knew he was in shed. I wouldn't know where any pesticides would come from. We only clean w/diluted Chlorhexidine. He's on a coconut husk substrate. We were thinking of putting him on Reptibark.
    You know how it is looking stuff up online. Lol everything is the worst case scenario. I think my husband got an appointment for tonight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awyatt10 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. We check his temp regularly w/the temp gun, as well as being on a digital thermostat. We bumped up the humidity bc we knew he was in shed. I wouldn't know where any pesticides would come from. We only clean w/diluted Chlorhexidine. He's on a coconut husk substrate. We were thinking of putting him on Reptibark.
    You know how it is looking stuff up online. Lol everything is the worst case scenario. I think my husband got an appointment for tonight.

Well, my husband came home & he was dead. 😢 We're checking w/our vet about a necropsy. Sucks! Thanks again for the input.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Sorry to hear. Definitely get the necropsy done if you can.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Well, my husband came home & he was dead. We're checking w/our vet about a necropsy. Sucks! Thanks again for the input.
    Thats awful. Please keep us posted. Id like to know what it is and what the breeder has to say as I'm sure you'll contact him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (06-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Thats awful. Please keep us posted. Id like to know what it is and what the breeder has to say as I'm sure you'll contact him.

Oh we definitely plan to contact him. We did everything by the books, & how we have with our other 2 snakes. Totally dumbfounded on this one. I want to make sure the breeder doesn't have any issues on his end either. I'm really bummed bc I hate to think this snake suffered any bc of something we may have overlooked. It just seemed so sudden. It had only been 3 weeks having him. Blah!!!

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Oh we definitely plan to contact him. We did everything by the books, & how we have with our other 2 snakes. Totally dumbfounded on this one. I want to make sure the breeder doesn't have any issues on his end either. I'm really bummed bc I hate to think this snake suffered any bc of something we may have overlooked. It just seemed so sudden. It had only been 3 weeks having him. Blah!!!
    Ive been looking at 3 Moonglows and a snow so its funny that the morph. I decided against buying one because im told they "yellow" with age, but they sure are cool looking.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Ive been looking at 3 Moonglows and a snow so its funny that the morph. I decided against buying one because im told they "yellow" with age, but they sure are cool looking.

We've had no issues with the super moonglow. She was snow white when we got her. She's a year old and is now, I think, creamier w/a yellow hue. She's an amazing snake. Great disposition & a phenomenal eater. She eats way better than our ball does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to awyatt10 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-19-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast