Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,465

4 members and 3,461 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first snake

Thanks

My first snake

My first pet snake, just a normal but good starter and cage is getting some upgrades now that he's comfortable and enjoys us

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neonspeed For This Useful Post:

cletus (06-15-2017),MJ_Bosley (06-15-2017),rock (06-15-2017),spellbound04 (06-15-2017)

Thanks

Re: My first snake

Quote Originally Posted by neonspeed View Post
    My first pet snake, just a normal but good starter and cage is getting some upgrades now that he's comfortable and enjoys us

Thats a great picture and he's got great hi coloring for a normal (just wondering are you using aspen in his tank as substrate?)

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring! 😊

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spellbound04 For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (06-15-2017)

Thanks

Yeah aspen is what the tank came with might switch when I clean his tank but seems to be doing good with it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neonspeed For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (06-15-2017)

Thanks

Yeah aspen is what the tank came with might switch when I clean his tank but seems to be doing good with it so far

Yeah I would definitely switch him off the aspen. The little particles can get under his scales/in his throat n give him an infection 🙁🙁🙁 he looks really healthy and gorgeous right now I'm sure you can keep him on the up n up! Good luck!!!

1.0 Normal

Thanks

What substrate would you recommend?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to neonspeed For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (06-15-2017)

Thanks

What substrate would you recommend?

I use coconut husk (by Eco earth) but I might switch to something that's less maintenence. A lot of people use it because it's realistic to a real habitat (and looks cool lol) but really You can use anything that doesn't have little particles or dust in it (newspaper, paper towels, etc) and will kinda catch his poops /preserve some heat. If you search substrate for BPs online lots of possibilities will come up 😊

1.0 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Very nice BP Neon. Does he have hides on both sides of his enclosure and is your heat source regulated with a thermostat? Those analog thermometers can be inaccurate. I'd invest in a temp gun for more precise measurements.

@ Spellbound- Anything is possible but I've never heard of snakes getting infections from aspen bedding. Where are you getting this information from? I have 8 snakes that have all been on aspen for years without issues. It's the only substrate I've ever used.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

embrit345 (06-15-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Very nice BP Neon. Does he have hides on both sides of his enclosure and is your heat source regulated with a thermostat? Those analog thermometers can be inaccurate. I'd invest in a temp gun for more precise measurements.

@ Spellbound- Anything is possible but I've never heard of snakes getting infections from aspen bedding. Where are you getting this information from? I have 8 snakes that have all been on aspen for years without issues. It's the only substrate I've ever used.
    Really? All the information I've heard from other snake owners and online has said to never use aspen. But again substrate is such a finicky thing and I've heard so many different opinions. You're definitely more knowledgeable on the subject so I trust you 👍

1.0 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post

Yeah it is regulated and I also have a temp gun already. He only has one hide for the moment he was too big for his other one so he didn't like it, I am picking up another one tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

@ spellbound- You might know something that I don't. That's why I was asking . I've read and heard to never use pine shavings because the oil in it could be harmful to snakes but I hadn't heard about any ill effects of aspen. I do agree that it's kinda dusty though. I usually spray my bedding with water when I clean cages to keep that dust down a bit. Aspen sanichips is less dusty but the snakes spill it all over the place. I've been thinking about trying coco husk/eco earth too. I really like the looks of it.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (06-15-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast