Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

1 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

ball python terrarium/vivarium questions

hello, I have considered getting a ball python for a few weeks now and I would like to ask a few terrarium maintenance questions.

1. I am leaning towards live plants for my ball python terrarium. Do you think this is a good choice versus artificial plants? Would live plants be better for a different reptile/amphibian?

2. How and what plants could I use to set up a live plant terrarium/vivarium properly? In the event I would need to clean the terrarium, how would I do that with all of the live plants?

3. Is there any plants that I should be avoiding for ball pythons or new ball python owners?

4. What is the minimum size (gallon) tank for a ball python? (I have heard 20 gallons, 45 gallons, and 35 gallons and I am honestly confused. )

5. In your experience, which is the best substrate for ball pythons? (Again, I have heard many different answers and when I finally decide on one someone tells me to avoid it at all costs.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I have had live plants in my BP tank but once she was larger she started pulling them up and making a mess of things. I ended up moving them to my ETB cage who has been leaving them alone for the most part. I used to have them in almost all my cages but my BP, GTP, and BRB were destroying them so they are now without them. My Hoggy still has live plants and has been really good with them. I get mine from Petco in the reptile section but not all stores carry them.

For substrate I like cypress mulch. For live plants you will need to keep it a few inches deep but remember to leave it shallow over the uth, 1/4 or less. I've used Eco Earth and Repti Bark. I've even mixed those two with Forest Floor cypress mulch which I really liked and still use in some of my cages. I think the mixture gives a more natural look but is not the cheapest method.

My BP has been in a 40 gallon tank her entire life and has done well. She still has logs and fake plants but I think that much of the reason she did so well in a large tank was because of all the cover I gave her. I certainly believe you could do the same.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Miss Mayhem (06-12-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: ball python terrarium/vivarium questions

Quote Originally Posted by serein View Post

1. I am leaning towards live plants for my ball python terrarium. Do you think this is a good choice versus artificial plants? Would live plants be better for a different reptile/amphibian?

My personal opinion is that live / planted vivariums are best for: dart frogs, arboreal species, and semi-aquatic species. My reasoning is that most of these species are smaller or arboreal and thus don't destroy the habitat to a large degree. Larger snakes and lizards (for example pythons or monitors) will destroy most plants suitable for a vivarium. Dart frogs, crested geckos, green tree pythons and such are smaller and unlikely to try and dig into the substrate. The other issue is feeding. Nothing is more annoying than watching your snake bread a frozen/thawed rodent in whatever substrate you're using.

2. How and what plants could I use to set up a live plant terrarium/vivarium properly? In the event I would need to clean the terrarium, how would I do that with all of the live plants?

If I were going to try it, I would use very robust plants with thick stalks / roots planted in stainless or ceramic pots below the surface, making them more difficult to uproot. Most people simply spot clean a bio-active terrarium and use "cleaners" to mop up the rest such as isopods and springtails. That said, ball pythons have particularly large bowl movements and may make this a trickier task compared to say a crested gecko.

3. Is there any plants that I should be avoiding for ball pythons or new ball python owners?

There is a list floating around the internet with plants that are noted to be toxic to reptiles and other pets. I would avoid these. I would also avoid any fragile or overly expensive species as they are likely to get destroyed.

4. What is the minimum size (gallon) tank for a ball python? (I have heard 20 gallons, 45 gallons, and 35 gallons and I am honestly confused. )

This is hugely debated topic you will get answers all over the place. First, I would shy away from any standard fish tanks. Their largest dimensions are nearly always length and height, and while some height is helpful for a ball python, it is often wasted. Overall floor space (L x W) is the most important metric. For a small ball python (hatchling - 1 year or so), a 20 gallon would work just fine, maybe even a touch large for more "problematic" feeders. However, I wouldn't keep an adult ball python in anything less than roughly a 45 gallon, which are typically around 15" wide x 36" long or so. Similar to a large Exo-terra, but again, often with extra height where more width would have been better. I should note that they do make "long" or "wide" aquariums that are better proportioned to reptile keeping.

This will depend on how large of a ball python you end up with however. If yours ends up around approximately 1600 grams or less, then the above will work just fine in my opinion. However, if you're snake starts pushing 2000g+, I feel the above is too small. I have several large ones and their hides don't really fit a cage that narrow making it difficult to have one well situated on each end of the enclosure. At bare minimum, you need floor space for: a warm hide, a cool hide, and a water dish. Some keepers can get away with smaller tubs in a rack system because the rack "acts as a hide" to some degree, but this is not always so easily achieved in a tank or enclosure. Personally, I feel the 4' x 2' plastic reptile enclosures made by a variety of manufacturers are the best option for ball pythons of nearly all size categories. I would recommend one around 1.5' or 14-16" inches tall.

5. In your experience, which is the best substrate for ball pythons? (Again, I have heard many different answers and when I finally decide on one someone tells me to avoid it at all costs.)
    My opinion is that paper towels are hands down the best substrate for ball pythons...and pretty much all terrestrial snakes for that matter. Paper towels don't "bread" your wet frozen/thawed feeder rat when they eat it. They are cheap and nearly always on hand. They make it much easier to detect a mite problem should that ever arise. They are thrown out regularly and make for easy poop cleanup.

Thanks

Re: ball python terrarium/vivarium questions

I just put my 6 year old male BP in a bioactive terrarium. It's my first bioactive so I'm still learning and tweaking things as I go. It's a 40 gallon breeder and my BP has more than enough space. Definitely stay away from delicate plants. I'd stick to stuff like ivy's and pothos or sedum plants seem to be holding up very well. I pulled just about everything else out except a couple things and gonna replace with more pothos or ivy's. My BP digs burrows and climbs all over at night and hasn't damaged them yet and he's been in there for about 2 months. I went with the basic bioactive substrate set up there's tons of info on the neherp website on how to do it. I've got a good amount of isopods and springtails that were in the terrarium for about 5 weeks before I added the BP giving them time to establish themselves but I still pick out poop and urates. I've never had any issues feeding my snakes on loose substrate but my rats aren't when I feed them either but if you're really worried about it you could use a napkin or paper plate etc. But if you want to keep it simple tubs work great.

Pic of him perched up in the corner. He's been a lot more interesting since he's been in the bioactive set up. Lots of climbing and burrowing. During the days he's either hiding under the "shelf" in one of the corners or stretched out on one of the logs basking under his lamp regulated by a herpstat (please use a thermostat)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    1.0 purple retic
    0.1 albino green burm
    2.0 bci
    0.1 coastal carpet
    1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Ball python
    1.0 Western hog

1.0 Alaskan Malamute

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

UnAxie (06-14-2017)

Thanks