Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

3 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

help me sex them

hi i'm rather new and thank you guys for the help in recent threads. i have been referring to both my geckos as she and now i'm noticing one seems a bit bulgier than the other as of late. they are fairly young, 10 months-ish. but please give me your opinion based on these photos...

this is the one i'm questioning, bract...

you can't see much here

you can see a little something on the side

and it's much more noticeable from underneath

here's the one i'm pretty sure is female, sepal...

thanks for any and all input
    1.0 ball python:alfy, 1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake:skippy, 1.0 blue-tongue skink:pup d, 0.0.1 fire skink:worm, 0.2 crested geckos:sepal and bract, 0.0.1 giant african millipede:schwartzkopf, 0.0.1 antilles pinktoe tarantula: pandora

Thanks

Re: help me sex them

with their size they both appear to be girls, usually at that size there is no doubt if it is a male.

vaughn

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

do you think bract might just be a late bloomer? i would have said both female too but the third pic down looks like a little something might be happening...
    - Emily

Thanks

I think I agree with Mle, the 2nd and 3rd photo seem to be showing a bulge while the other seems to have nothing. I've been reading on repashy and caponetto's sites where some can up and proclaim their malehood as late as 9 - 11 months of age (not common but can happen). It's possible at least!
    Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    1.1 German Shepard (KA-ZAR & Cody)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Creamsicle corn (Trixie)
    0.1 Lavendar het motley corn (Lily)
    1.0 Motley Corn (Jackson)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wendyhoo9
    I think I agree with Mle, the 2nd and 3rd photo seem to be showing a bulge while the other seems to have nothing. I've been reading on repashy and caponetto's sites where some can up and proclaim their malehood as late as 9 - 11 months of age (not common but can happen). It's possible at least!
    I agree with this thought also, I too have heard they can show thier manliness later. Looks like Bract may be a boy!
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

hmm interesting. yes when i received them a couple months ago i was told by their previous owner that they were very small for their age. a little stunted, because he wasn't really feeding them crickets at all. since they've been with me they have relished crickets, and get them pretty frequently, and grown and changed considerably over these past couple months. do you think the lack of protein in their diet could have just caused his "boy bulge" to develop a little late?
    again thanks for all help.
    1.0 ball python:alfy, 1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake:skippy, 1.0 blue-tongue skink:pup d, 0.0.1 fire skink:worm, 0.2 crested geckos:sepal and bract, 0.0.1 giant african millipede:schwartzkopf, 0.0.1 antilles pinktoe tarantula: pandora

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zennygirl
    hmm interesting. yes when i received them a couple months ago i was told by their previous owner that they were very small for their age. a little stunted, because he wasn't really feeding them crickets at all. since they've been with me they have relished crickets, and get them pretty frequently, and grown and changed considerably over these past couple months. do you think the lack of protein in their diet could have just caused his "boy bulge" to develop a little late?
    again thanks for all help.
    Very well could have. Bearded dragons are also dependant on animal protiens to continue to grow, it affects thier growth rate considerably. I would guess that cresteds are dependant on animal protiens to grow also.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

I've noticed some huge differences between babies I've purchased a few months ago and newer ones more recently. I feed crickets at least every other night and my guys have flourished. Their cagemates which are the same size I picked up a few weeks ago are actually 4 weeks older than my originals. I think the added protein definately helps them grow faster and actually have read that feeding Gargoyle Gecko Diet (which is higher in protein) also helps to bulk up the babies faster. This could be why some geckos my blossom later, but may not always be the cause.
    Wendy

0.1 Het Hypo BP (Breena)
    1.1 German Shepard (KA-ZAR & Cody)
    0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1 Creamsicle corn (Trixie)
    0.1 Lavendar het motley corn (Lily)
    1.0 Motley Corn (Jackson)

Thanks

High incubation temps can also create late "blooming" geckos as well.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

time will tell, usually there is no doubt when it's a male. if you have a magnifying glass you can look at the preanal pores and see if they have dimples or holes in them. i've never done this but they say that males have visible dimples/pores. you might need a strong magnifying glass or 8x loupe

vaughn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast