Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally Got my Hoggie to Eat

I posted on here a couple times about my female western hognose who refused to eat. After several months, a million different scents, I am happy to say she is finally eating! She was born last July, sold to me in December at about 7g. Since then, she only ate two pinkies and I had to resort to assist feeding mice/rat tails. I finally got a green tree frog and was able to scent a pinky with that and she took it down within a few minutes. I am beyond excited right now and hope this is the start to actually enjoying having her. Special thank you to Deborah, who answered dozens of private messages and gave me a ton of advice! here is a picture of the little girl right after she ate:

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (06-12-2017),GoingPostal (05-25-2017),IDorko (05-25-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (05-25-2017),the_rotten1 (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Re: Finally Got my Hoggie to Eat

Congrats! I know the feeling when your bebes just won't eat. I hate that anxiety. I just got my hognose yesterday and luckily enough she was established already. She ate within the day.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Noodlin', Snootin', Boopin'

1.0 Pastel Specter - Spectre Saren
    0.1 Desert Pinstripe - Nagini 'Nags' (pet only)
    0.1 Anaconda Western Hognose - Lady Hiss

Future Acquisitions
    1.0 Hypo Hog (On hold for June 2017)
    0.1 Sunset Hog (On hold for July 2017)
    BTS (Hopefully soon)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IDorko For This Useful Post:

cron14 (05-25-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    That's awesome!! Congrats!!

Deborah is awesome, she helped me out a lot too.
    I'm "snakesitting" a hognose for a friend who couldn't get hers to eat. He came to me in March having not eaten in months for my friend and months for the previous owner. He was a tiny 11 grams. Deborah answered a bunch of PMs from me, I made some adjustments and he ate! And then ate again, and again... He has now eaten all 13 offerings without refusal and is up to 14-15 grams.

I've had the little guy since March and the owner barely asks about him, barely replies to my texts and hasn't been by once to see her snake. So I'm almost sure she's just going to tell me to keep him.
    I kinda hope she does, I like the little guy.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-09-2017),cron14 (05-25-2017),GoingPostal (05-25-2017),Jules623 (05-25-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IDorko View Post
    Congrats! I know the feeling when your bebes just won't eat. I hate that anxiety. I just got my hognose yesterday and luckily enough she was established already. She ate within the day.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

I'm "snakesitting" a hognose for a friend who couldn't get hers to eat. He came to me in March having not eaten in months for my friend and months for the previous owner. He was a tiny 11 grams. Deborah answered a bunch of PMs from me, I made some adjustments and he ate! And then ate again, and again... He has now eaten all 13 offerings without refusal and is up to 14-15 grams.

I've had the little guy since March and the owner barely asks about him, barely replies to my texts and hasn't been by once to see her snake. So I'm almost sure she's just going to tell me to keep him.
    I was almost at the point of giving up and gonna try to rehome
    her. Honestly it was my own fault for not trying an actual frog scent sooner. Congrats on the new hognose and Craigafrachette I hope you get to keep him Hopefully, this is the start of consistent feeding so I'll be able to start really enjoying keeping this species. I've barely handled her since December and can't wait to watch her grow

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    I was almost at the point of giving up and gonna try to rehome
    her. Honestly it was my own fault for not trying an actual frog scent sooner. Congrats on the new hognose and Craigafrachette I hope you get to keep him Hopefully, this is the start of consistent feeding so I'll be able to start really enjoying keeping this species. I've barely handled her since December and can't wait to watch her grow

I hope so too. If not I know who to contact to get one of my own
    I've tried to handle this guy as little as possible so I wouldn't get attached, but lately it's been tough to just check on him and not want to hang out with the little guy. He's an awesome little snake. He's definitely becoming part of the family.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

I hope you get to keep him! He sounds like he's better off in your hands. It would be really shady if you put it in all that work then your friend comes in and swoops him off your hands once he's well established. I think I'd be

0.1 Desert Pinstripe (pet only)
    1.0 Pastel Spectre
    0.1 Anaconda Western Hognose

Future Aquisitions
    0.1 Sunset (July 2017)
    1.0 Hypo Hog (June 2017)

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Noodlin', Snootin', Boopin'

1.0 Pastel Specter - Spectre Saren
    0.1 Desert Pinstripe - Nagini 'Nags' (pet only)
    0.1 Anaconda Western Hognose - Lady Hiss

Future Acquisitions
    1.0 Hypo Hog (On hold for June 2017)
    0.1 Sunset Hog (On hold for July 2017)
    BTS (Hopefully soon)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IDorko View Post
    I hope you get to keep him! He sounds like he's better off in your hands. It would be really shady if you put it in all that work then your friend comes in and swoops him off your hands once he's well established. I think I'd be

0.1 Desert Pinstripe (pet only)
    1.0 Pastel Spectre
    0.1 Anaconda Western Hognose

Future Aquisitions
    0.1 Sunset (July 2017)
    1.0 Hypo Hog (June 2017)

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
    Well, that was the agreement. I agreed to try to get him on track and eating and once he was established and eating regularly she would take him back. Then after a handful of successful meals she asked if I could keep him a bit longer because she's looking for a new apartment. It's been over a month and no mention at all of taking him back.
    Now I just hope she says keep him. But, he's hers and I will return him if she asks me to.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-25-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having a young hognose not eating is never fun, but now I have a feeling that you are on the right tract and will finally be able to enjoy being a hognose owner, they are fun to keep and when on track really easy to care for and enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cron14 (05-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Great to hear, I remember you posting a few times and that's a long time to go without on such a little snake, really stresses you out when they won't eat.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

cron14 (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Great to hear, I remember you posting a few times and that's a long time to go without on such a little snake, really stresses you out when they won't eat.
    It's been a long few months..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast