Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,289

1 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Active python + Glass climbing

I just got my first snake (ball python) 3 weeks ago. he's quite young, maybe 2 or 3 months old? I feed him two fuzzies (frozen) each week. The biggest part of his body is about 8 inches. He uses a very small heat pad and 100 watt day bulb and 60 watt night bulb. He's currently in a 40 gallon, and unfortunately I won't be able to change that due to the budget of it. He also has one hide on each side of the tank. He has a screen top tank, but I spray it down 2-3 times a day. I have seen him drink, if that's a sign of comfort. He is in my bedroom, and I don't go in much, and relatively only go in to take care of him, and of course to sleep. I need the TV to help me sleep, so I have it on through the night and I leave it on all day (I should stop that lol). Does the vibration from the TV running bother him? I may also need to tighten my night-day schedule for him, as I turn the light on when I wake, and turn it to night when it gets dark. should I leave an alarm for an exact time to change lights? He only moves during the night, but he is VERY active during that time, and climbs the walls high enough to touch the top and fall to the ground. I'm getting more decor to make the tank seem smaller and the snake more comfortable. Could someone help me improve if his activeness is a problem? I get very worried for him, and try to do research, but I can't find anything useful, so I thought I'd just ask myself. If it helps, I am not breeding him, so he could also be a she, because I have no intentions of popping him. Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Active python + Glass climbing

What is your hot and cold side temps? Humidity? Are you using a thermostat to regulate the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm afraid to check the temp right now, because I'm afraid I'll scare him, but the cold side is probably the middle 70's. I do not use a thermostat, but rather a thermometer (and hygrometer) The humidity is 60%.
    Last edited by Souriant; 05-31-2017 at 01:17 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Souriant For This Useful Post:

emilyeho (05-31-2017)

Thanks
    (I forgot to add, I am buying a laser thermometer, aka: Temp Gun) I've heard good reviews about them, as they are quite accurate
    Last edited by Souriant; 05-31-2017 at 01:30 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Souriant For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-31-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You NEED to buy a thermostat to regulate that heat pad so you don't cook your snake.

The laser thermometer is a good idea, also if you cannot get a smaller tank provide multiple hides for your snake. If you have humidity issues, cover the top with cardboard, foil, plexiglass, or like I did, a sheet of reflectix type material.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-31-2017)

Thanks
    Ok, is there any place to buy a cheap thermostat? I'm only finding 18-30$ ones...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I started with an inexpensive stat (Inkbird) and quickly learned, as you will, there are better and SAFER options (Herpstat hands down) for your pet/pets. Spend the extra money to ensure your snakes won't get cooked, even if it means you go without pizza for a while. Think of it this way....you wouldn't buy the dollar store faucet for your shower over the brand name if it meant you have the chance of getting scalded by hot water...don't make that mistake with your animal.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-31-2017)

Thanks
    Mkay, nevermind! Found one

Thanks
    Understood.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Active python + Glass climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Souriant View Post
    I just got my first snake (ball python) 3 weeks ago. he's quite young, maybe 2 or 3 months old? I feed him two fuzzies (frozen) each week. The biggest part of his body is about 8 inches. He uses a very small heat pad and 100 watt day bulb and 60 watt night bulb. He's currently in a 40 gallon, and unfortunately I won't be able to change that due to the budget of it. He also has one hide on each side of the tank. He has a screen top tank, but I spray it down 2-3 times a day. I have seen him drink, if that's a sign of comfort. He is in my bedroom, and I don't go in much, and relatively only go in to take care of him, and of course to sleep. I need the TV to help me sleep, so I have it on through the night and I leave it on all day (I should stop that lol). Does the vibration from the TV running bother him? I may also need to tighten my night-day schedule for him, as I turn the light on when I wake, and turn it to night when it gets dark. should I leave an alarm for an exact time to change lights? He only moves during the night, but he is VERY active during that time, and climbs the walls high enough to touch the top and fall to the ground. I'm getting more decor to make the tank seem smaller and the snake more comfortable. Could someone help me improve if his activeness is a problem? I get very worried for him, and try to do research, but I can't find anything useful, so I thought I'd just ask myself. If it helps, I am not breeding him, so he could also be a she, because I have no intentions of popping him. Thank you!
    Hi

What are the dimensions of the Viv incidentally - length and width in particular ?

Where are the bulb and heatmat situated in the Viv ??

Sounds as though it could simply be searching for a cool area / spot tbh ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-31-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast