Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,456

3 members and 3,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Is tail wagging a good or bad sign?

I introduced a young male into one of my females tubs for the first time either has been paired. They are both just boarder line ready but from my last experience, which was my first, also both virgins, pairing early worked well because it sparked the best feeding response I ever had out of that girl and she continued to eat and eat through the whole breeding process. She is now gravid and I'm waiting on eggs but it took a good 5-6 months of building and being paired each month and now 800 grams heavier, she looks like shes going to be a nice healthy 1st time mother. This new female is the same weight as the last one when I began to pair her at the recommendation of her breeder, just over 1200 grams. He said she was ready to start pairing and that it would get her to building. He was right and everything has gone well so far. Now this male is smaller than the last pairing, he is only 400 grams. From what I've read, introducing a young male is ok, they are either ready or not but no harm done in introducing him to a female. Well 15-30 minutes after introducing him, the female is moving around her tub almost a little frantic, wagging her tail all over the place. Would this be a sign she is scenting and letting him know shes ready or a deterrent because she doesn't want him in there? My other pairing, I didn't witness anything like this, I checked on them just a little while after introduction and they were already locked. That's how it went each time I paired them. So this experience is completely different and I'm not sure what to make of it. Am I safe to leave them over night?

My main concern is the health of my snakes. The age and size I've decided after much research is ok to try them but now with this reaction I just want to double check that it is not a sign that she isn't ready. I'm not experienced so I'm not sure what kind of bad outcomes could come of this. I have not read anything about females hurting the males but I am a bit worried because she definitely has enough size over him, I'm sure she could if she wanted, I just don't know if that happens. I'm not worried about them not breeding in the least, I almost look at this as just preparation for the real deal because building can be a long process. I only plan to pair him to this girl for a day or two each month just like I did with the last pairing. I just don't think it's worth it if I'm putting either of them at risk.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make things clear and I'm worried because I care a great deal about my animals.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Is tail wagging a good or bad sign?

Tail wagging is a good sign. It is, just as you suspected, scenting. The bigger concern with your story is that 400 grams on a male is pretty small. You need to remember it is not just about is he big enough to get the job done, but will he survive it? Males often go off feed when breeding. If your male is 1000 grams or more, not such a big deal because he has reserves. A 400 gram male is a different story. If he goes off feed he has much less to work with and depending on the duration of the fast, could spiral down pretty rapidly. It would be sad to loose a male on the first pairing. Just my $0.02

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Reinz (05-28-2017),rufretic (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    That's a good point that I really didn't think of. I guess because I only pair for such a short time and then they have a month to eat, neither of my others that I had breeding went off feed. I didn't think about if he just chooses to go off feed. I guess I'll find out tonight. I already separated them, no lock, and feeding time is tonight.