Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

1 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Sterilite Tubs: Too Small?

Hey all, I just recently got around to transferring my ball python from a 20G glass terrarium to a 34qt Sterilite Tub, and since I made the transfer a couple of days ago my life has been much easier. As we all know, the tub makes my life infinitely easier by properly maintaining humidity and temperature levels, but my concern is that the tub is a bit smaller than the tank in terms of the base surface area (or at least shorter in length) so I can no longer fit a hide on each side with enough room in between to put the water bowl. I've read in many places that a 34qt Sterilite tub is the perfect size for an adult ball python, so I didn't expect to encounter this issue for my boy Braska who is right around the 1100-gram size.

I currently have the tub setup with just one hide, and Braska seems to be happy in the new home, but I definitely do plan to make some changes so I can accommodate the dual-hide setup as is preferred. I guess my options here are either to go with a larger (or at least longer) tub, or otherwise I'll have to look into smaller hides for him. The ones I'm currently using are most likely a bit bigger than he needs; they are the Exo Terra Reptile Caves, and I had to bump up from Large to Extra Large because he could no longer comfortably fit through the opening of the Large caves.

I'm at work right now so I can't provide any pictures or specific measurements, but I'll be happy to do so once I get home if that would be helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Thanks
    The size is just right for a snake that size. I have racks so I don't even have hides in my tubs, just bedding and water bowels, and I only have one problem feeder. You can either get smaller hides, go with one hide (I did that in my tubs before I got the racks) or put something around the top and 2 or 3 sides of the tub so the snake feels secure without needing a hide.
    1.0 Normal (Emrys)
    0.1 Fire (Calypso)
    0.1 Pied (Tessa)
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake (Nienna)
    2.1 Cats (Suki, Daisuke, and Kyo)
    0.0.2 Leopard Geckos (Chi and Pixel)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meerna For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-25-2017),rock (05-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Sterilite Tubs: Too Small?

Quote Originally Posted by Meerna View Post
    The size is just right for a snake that size. I have racks so I don't even have hides in my tubs, just bedding and water bowels, and I only have one problem feeder. You can either get smaller hides, go with one hide (I did that in my tubs before I got the racks) or put something around the top and 2 or 3 sides of the tub so the snake feels secure without needing a hide.
    ^^^This. I am using 40qts but the idea is the same. As the snake gets larger the tub itself becomes the hide. Most of my adults do not have hides at all. Most of my animals stop using hides somewhere around 1000 grams. I have a couple of smaller adults that still use them but that is the exception rather than the rule. I don't have anything over 2000 grams that uses a hide.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-25-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Meerna and JordanOrNoDan for your input. This was not the response I had been expecting, but hey, it continues to make my life easier. I think for now I will just keep the one hide (probably best to keep this over the UTH/hot side?), and I'll monitor his activity and mood to ensure that he's okay with the new setup. I have not yet covered the sidings of the tub, but I do plan to do this within the next day or so. I guess this can essentially be considered SOLVED, but any more input/tips are always welcome. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I don't use hides for any of my snakes in racks unless I find they need it. Which 95+% of them don't seem to.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (05-26-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (05-25-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    It sounds like your tub isn't in a rack, the covered sides of which is what would normally provide the secure feeling of a hide for an adult snake. If you need a hide that will fit, consider switching to the black square hides from Reptile Basics. Better shape for the tub.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Snakes in tubs get one hide. The water bowl goes up front on the cool side and then the snake usually "turtles" the hide onto or off of the heat as needed.

Thanks

Two medium reptile basic hides is a tub about the same size as yours. One on the hot side and one on the cool.
    D

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Snakes in tubs get one hide. The water bowl goes up front on the cool side and then the snake usually "turtles" the hide onto or off of the heat as needed.
    Turtles is a great term! I was just wondering earlier how a few hatchlings hulked out and flipped their hides.