Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

1 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen/thawed

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Frozen/thawed

Quote Originally Posted by myroliki View Post
    I hold it by the tail at one end of the enclosure and shake it a little, she came closer, flicking her tongue and then went for it a couple times, but missed each time. Maybe she could tell it was already dead and didn't like it anywhere in her enclosure so she was trying to defend against it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd persist with that approach BUT wait until evening - keep lights low - warm up with a hairdryer and then dangle in front of the snake IMMEDIATELY .. they only hold the heat for a few seconds ... also 3 or 4 of my Royals will ONLY strike from their hides !!
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-26-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Frozen/thawed

Some snakes are stubborn when switching to f/t but only a few never make the transition. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience and a little tough love but if you only offer f/t the animal will eat eventually. I have yet to see a healthy animal starve itself to death when food was consistently offered. I agree with super heating the prey item with a hairdryer and trying the zombie dance. Those things have worked for me in the past. You can also try leaving the prey item in overnight. I have one snake that won't take food from the tongs. I have to leave her food in the enclosure overnight and it's always gone by morning.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 05-26-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-26-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Honestly sounds more like the snake def wanted to eat but wasn't being presented with it right so she was having trouble aiming. Heat it up like Pit said- I actually aim for a temp of 101 on the head since that's a rat's internal body temp- then hold the rodent by the back hips with tongs and offer it head first. No dangling, it's not a pinata.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

SpaceJellyfish (05-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    You want blast it with a hair dryer and get the head around 95 degrees......
    I remember thinking the hair dryer tip was crazy. I had a issues getting my snake to eat at first (my fault from inexperience) and ever since I've used the hair dryer he hasn't refused a meal. He strikes as soon as he sees the rat. It's like magic!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceJellyfish For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-26-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Honestly sounds more like the snake def wanted to eat but wasn't being presented with it right so she was having trouble aiming. Heat it up like Pit said- I actually aim for a temp of 101 on the head since that's a rat's internal body temp- then hold the rodent by the back hips with tongs and offer it head first. No dangling, it's not a pinata.
    I second heating it up to around 100F. It takes me a bit of time to open his viv so I heat mine to around 105F so it has room to cool a bit.
    I found my snake had an easier time striking when I held the rat by the hips/back. Holding it by the tail seemed to make him miss or have a less stable grip on the rat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12