Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

2 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New ball python from underground reptiles questions

Hi guys I ordered a baby BP from Underground reptiles and it is going to get here soon. After i got him i read some pretty bad reviews from people saying they came with mites or scale rot and died shortly after. I dont want it to die and be out $60 so if it comes sick what can i do to save it thats cheap. Also if it comes healthy how do i keep it healthy? If you bought a snake from Underground reptiles can you share your experience with them. I have the cage set up and will have him or quarantine on paper towels for a bit. Thanks

Thanks
    I recently ordered a mangrove monitor from backwater reptiles. It was skinny but fine. No mites. They have worse reviews than Underground, although I'm not sure if they are both similar (companies which consist of breeders all over the place just sending reptiles to you, never know what they look like or what you're going to get)

So, let me run you through my own "new reptile" setup. First of all, some kind of mite treatment when you get the reptile, I use PAM but you have short notice.
    Secondly, have you read our care sheet and have everything together for your reptile, running and ready to go, correct temps and humidity? Because you should, and that will keep it healthy.
    Third, with ball pythons any handling, checking, picture taking, etc should be done when you just get it, because after that you're going to need to leave it alone for a month or two, until it is regularly eating for you.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

jpeg (05-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: New ball python from underground reptiles questions

Quote Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
    I dont want it to die and be out $60 so if it comes sick what can i do to save it thats cheap. Also if it comes healthy how do i keep it healthy?

A. it is a animal and in buying it you assumed responsibility for its health. forget the $60 and don't cheap out on vet care or you will lose more than the $60. it will cost you vet bills, that did nothing, and the snake. if the animal comes in unhealthy find a qualified herp vet (they do not come cheap)or send it back

B. by asking how to keep it healthy I am assuming you have not done much research on ball pythons.
    there are several care guides on this site If you search for them that are very good. look for them and follow them and you will do fine.

C. in order for anyone to help they will need to know how the animal will be housed, what you will be using for a heat source exc., (photographs go a long way)

D. listen to the advise that the veterans on this site give you they have been doing this a very long time
    Last edited by StillBP; 05-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have been in the store on occasion. Over the years I have bought two snakes and numerous rats from them. I have never had a problem with the health of a purchased animal or seen anything in the store that looked unhealthy. The people at the store are friendly and more knowledgeable than most about the animals.

That said, I have never dealt with them online. They have a warehouse that is in a separate location from the retail store. What goes on there, I have no idea. I know that the owner who is never at the retail store had some legal problems in the past. I have also read a few really bad BOI's about the guy from years back.

I have been going to the store for about four years now and have never personally seen a problem. If I did, I would not enter the store and would not buy so much as a rat pup from them.

They do have hots in the store. I do not like their practices with hots but that is a different topic entirely.

Post a pic of the animal if you can.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks

Re: New ball python from underground reptiles questions

Ok will do tomorrow when it arrives. i used to have a garter snake so i do have a little experience with snakes and looking for mites btw.