Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

1 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Advice on cutting open a hide

My python is stuck in his hide - hes been in there for a couple days, I've been trying to wait it out to see if he can actually get out on his own but now I'm afraid that he really can't. It's the all living things bonsai tree decoration and it appears to be indestructible. Fortunately I can wiggle him around enough to one side where i could cut into it without cutting him and just slowly widening the hole but I have no experience with tools - should I use a saw? Has anyone else had to cut a hide? I think it's made of resin but I'm not sure. Would it be insane to take the whole thing to Home Depot and ask for help?

Thanks
    Can't advise you on cutting open a hide with an animal in it, but I can say there is no way I would take it to HD and let someone else do it. They can barely cut wood correctly there.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),Dezoruba (05-22-2017),heyjillian (05-22-2017),PitOnTheProwl (05-23-2017)

Thanks
    A ball python spending days inside of a hide, especially when being checked on, disturbed, stressed out, etc is not uncommon. While you believe the snake is trapped in there, there is a good chance it isn't and can rearrange itself to get out.

How long have you had the snake? If it's been a couple months or more, leave it alone for a day and scent the room with a rodent for a few hours. If it isn't stuck it should come out to investigate.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),Dezoruba (05-22-2017),heyjillian (05-22-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-22-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-22-2017),Zincubus (05-22-2017)

Thanks

Re: Advice on cutting open a hide

True- I've just never used a saw before and am terrified of actually cutting him

Thanks

I've had him for about a year, he's real docile and sweet. My retic outgrew the tree hide so I moved it to his tank last week - he's been in there for at least four days - I've been watching his tank like crazy and I'm 99% sure he hasn't moved. I have no idea what the inside of the tree looks like - and I can't see enough of him to see if he's squished and isn't getting circulation. When i touch him, he pushes back on my hand rather than moving away, I tried to wiggle him out but I don't want to hurt him. He's never been real interested in food, but I will try that before I go out for my contractor debut

Thanks
    With a saw you almost certainly will injure your snake. You'd probably be better off with a hammer and chisel. What you would be doing is finding a spot that is open space further up the side, placing the chisel there and striking it with a hammer to create a small crack (don't worry if you don't see a crack). Then continue to tap a line down to the hide opening, and back from the intital strike down to the hide opening.

You wouldn't want to be hitting the chisel hard enough to punch through, just hard enough to be tapping a crack into place. Your hand holds the chisel to provent it from traveling too far and going inside the hide.

Still, try scenting first, and even then give it a day before chiseling (hopefully it won't be in feeding mode when you free it if it is trapped)

Keep in mind that however you try freeing your snake, you could easily kill it or injure it. That's why I suggest scenting. Personally I'd dremel the snake out with one of the circular grinding/cutting wheels. Essentially etching a line around, then tap the line with a flathead screwdriver and hammer. However I am fairly good with a dremel, and wouldn't be worried about cutting through and into the snake.
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 05-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

heyjillian (05-22-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Last night I watched my 1000g enchi pied decide to squeeze herself through a 1 1/2 inch gap. She just flattened out her body and off she went. I wouldn't worry about a ball python spending a lot of time in its hide, that's what they do.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 05-22-2017 at 12:27 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-22-2017),Dezoruba (05-22-2017),Zincubus (05-22-2017)

Thanks

Definitely no on the saw. I wouldn't try a hammer and chisel, either. I'd start with grabbing a bit (far away from the snake) with a good sturdy pair of pliers, preferably needle-nose, and see how hard it is to break off a small chunk. Then move on to carefully enlarging the opening. Take your time, go slowly, take out small chunks, less likely to hurt the snake or yourself that way. That's how we've freed a couple snakes that got stuck in hides/aquarium decor.

Needle-nosed pliers will concentrate the force more than broad-nosed pliers. Take small bites - like a half-inch deep. If you don't have needle-nosed, take smaller chunks, or work from the corner of the jaws. Odds are the hide isn't as indestructible as it seems when attacked that way.

If you get (or have) another hide like this, fill that void with Great Stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

heyjillian (05-22-2017),Oxylepy (05-22-2017),Zincubus (05-23-2017)

Thanks

Thank you - that sounds like so much of a better idea than a saw. I hope the scenting works I'm gonna try that now. Thank you all for being so helpful

Thanks
    I've had this happen to me years ago when I put a hide that was meant for a fishtank in for my ball python cause I thought it looked cool. she wound up finding a little crevice to slither into. I too thought she was stuck and the more I played around with her trying to get her to come out the deeper she went in. she was in there for about a week and one day came home and she was in a different hide and I took the other one out. just leave him alone and most likely he'll come out on his own.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sensismell For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-22-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast