Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

2 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Okay. So what would be a good use for the log?

It was only $5, but I'd rather use it. Shedding aid? It could rub on it. Or should I leave it out and take the extra floorspace (It is only a 20gal, and the water bowl is really big).

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I place mine between the hides long ways so it makes a kind of covered tunnel for them to explore. Very good to encourage potentially shy snakes to move about more.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),Dagger311 (05-22-2017)

Thanks
    Oh, I also spoke with the pet shop owner where I bought the stuff. He said good luck finding a MBK anywhere but online, and at any age other than a hatchling, for anywhere near the price of a ball python or a cool Cali King morph.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: First-Time Snake Owner, Considering A Ball Python

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger311 View Post
    Oh, I also spoke with the pet shop owner where I bought the stuff. He said good luck finding a MBK anywhere but online, and at any age other than a hatchling, for anywhere near the price of a ball python or a cool Cali King morph.
    I would hold off and check out the expo first.
    Maybe try and get a vendor list and check out their sites of contact them to know what you might find??
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 05-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),Dagger311 (05-22-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I would hold off and check out the expo first.
    Maybe try and get a vendor list and check out their sites of contact them to know what you might find??
    I'm probably going to wait for the vendor.

I'm also leaning heavily towards a Kingsnake, after seeing his MBK. I like how slender they are.

Oh, and do you guys think this may be too big of a bowl for a 20 gallon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUaZPaKAWgJ/

Thanks

I'm probably going to wait for the vendor.

I'm also leaning heavily towards a Kingsnake, after seeing his MBK. I like how slender they are.

Oh, and do you guys think this may be too big of a bowl for a 20 gallon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUaZPaKAWgJ/
    Kingsnake is not a bad idea, there are plenty of awesome patterns out there. Corn snakes are also pretty cheap and suuuper unique with patterns, they also are very slender if you are open to them. BPs have some cool variety, but MAN they can get pricey fast! BPs are also pretty beefy in general compared to a kingsnake. Especially females! I personally just love their super chill personalities and the little extra plump. And they have puppy faces!

I want to say the bowl-to-tank ratio might be tough. I don't know for sure with that picture, but you'll want to have ample room to place the hides in their respective temps. i.e. one side being 91 hot spot with the 85 degree ambient and the other a 75 degree ambient for a BP. It might get pretty crowded. You can totally hold onto it though and use assuming you upgrade tank sizes depending on the snake. Also keep the proper enclosure size for a snake in mind when they are fully grown. Everyone has varying opinions on what is right, so it's likely up to you. But I like to at least say it should end up being long enough for the noodle to stretch out completely when fully grown.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ferrislongdog View Post
    Kingsnake is not a bad idea, there are plenty of awesome patterns out there. Corn snakes are also pretty cheap and suuuper unique with patterns, they also are very slender if you are open to them. BPs have some cool variety, but MAN they can get pricey fast! BPs are also pretty beefy in general compared to a kingsnake. Especially females! I personally just love their super chill personalities and the little extra plump. And they have puppy faces!

I want to say the bowl-to-tank ratio might be tough. I don't know for sure with that picture, but you'll want to have ample room to place the hides in their respective temps. i.e. one side being 91 hot spot with the 85 degree ambient and the other a 75 degree ambient for a BP. It might get pretty crowded. You can totally hold onto it though and use assuming you upgrade tank sizes depending on the snake. Also keep the proper enclosure size for a snake in mind when they are fully grown. Everyone has varying opinions on what is right, so it's likely up to you. But I like to at least say it should end up being long enough for the noodle to stretch out completely when fully grown.
    The bowl takes up a good 1/4 or 1/5 of the tank.

I'd love a corn snake, but my state has this weird law where you can't keep native nonvenomous snakes (Which corn snakes are), or non-native hots. Kingsnakes and milksnakes are the only CB Colubrid options for me, or I could go catch a rat/garter snake (Which I don't want to do).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Okay. So what would be a good use for the log?

It was only $5, but I'd rather use it. Shedding aid? It could rub on it. Or should I leave it out and take the extra floorspace (It is only a 20gal, and the water bowl is really big).
    Another alternate use is treating it like a bridge or turning it up vertically to lean against something so the snake can climb on. I myself was considering getting two, one larger/taller than the other to make "stairs" to access higher areas.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    I decided on a kingsnake. I went back to where I bought the stuff, got store credit for the light fixture and bulb, got two cave hides, and a smaller water bowl.

My new question is: will a 6"x11" UTH alone be enough to keep a king snake in a 20 gallon?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I decided on a kingsnake. I went back to where I bought the stuff, got store credit for the light fixture and bulb, got two cave hides, and a smaller water bowl.

My new question is: will a 6"x11" UTH alone be enough to keep a king snake in a 20 gallon?
    The UTH is strictly for creating a hot spot. It will depend on the ambient temps where the snake will be kept.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345