Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,653

1 members and 2,652 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Why am I selling my BPs???

A few people have PMed me asking about why my BPs are for sale on fauna so I figured I would make a post out of it to get everyone's input...so let me know what you think.

Selling my 2 bps was kinda a spur of the moment idea yesterday. I have alot of stuff happening for the next month and a lot of expenses too (wedding, honeymoon, graduation, beginning of grad. school...and the list goes on). So, I thought I would put my bps for sale at a higher price($375 ?) to see if I had any local takers (no shipping for me yet). The plan would be to reinvest in another ball python when things settle down.

SO....I am not getting out of ball pythons...NEVER ...In fact, I will be getting a het hypo female from Adam sometime in Sept. (...she is finally paid off too).

I am kinda second guessing the decision to sell now because:

1) my fiance made me feel bad by saying I was 'pawning off animals that I love"....and "do you plan to trade the cat in too?"....ha ha...she was just giving me a hard time. But then she got all upset with me when I told her I was going to getting another ball python with the money. She said "the only snake you can get with that money would be the male to go with the female"...meaning a het hypo male.

2) I realized that I am very attached to my bps. You enjoy them alot more when you think you will not have them anymore.

3) Everyone that has contacted me about them so far has been a little odd. One guy wanted me to ship USPS. Another wanted me to ship DHL using his account saying that all I "would have to do is put her in a pillow case and put her in a box with some crumpled up newspaper." Another guy(actually local) wants her to breed with blood pythons in his 'project'. None of them wanted my male bp and one said that he "could easily go for $150" if sold seperately...for a normal CH male bp...I wish. Does everyone that sells bps get emails like this from people who want to buy their animal?

So I just don't know what to do now. Most likely I will end up dropping the ad, but I don't know what I would do if a quality buyer wants the bps. Let me know what you guys think....Thanks.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Why am I selling my BPs???

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    Does everyone that sells bps get emails like this from people who want to buy their animal?
    Oh, you have no idea .... Here's a list of some of the things I've been offered in trade for bp's over the years ...

1. other snakes & reptiles (pretty common thing actually)
    2. cats/dogs/hamsters (something fancy I think)
    3. A car
    4. A motorcycle
    5. free weights
    6. some guys kids (I think he was kidding)
    7. a bicycle (some kind of graphite thing)
    8. lots of guitars
    9. implied favors from some guys GF (that one I had to think about for a bit before refusing)
    10. A "rad" snowboard

And my all time favorite offer ..... "how about you send me those snakes and I'll raise them and breed them and send you the first years offspring as payment" ... LOL .... as if!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of selling on the internet!! .... LMAO!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Daniel,
    I will trade two marbles (My favorites), an unopened Bazooka Joe piece of gum circa 1950's, 3 Ryan Denning rookie baseball cards, and a mystery package for your BP's. Can you bill them to my UFO account thanks...
    Forrest
    Last edited by Forrest; 08-09-2005 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I didn't write anything
    4est
    1 adult male Ball Python (King Tut), 1 adult Female Corn Snake (Cleopatra), 1 juvenile Green Two-Tailed Iguana (Tommy Two-tails), 1 Common Boa(Ghengis Kahn)

Thanks

daniel, don't sell the female. if you're going to breed you can use her. if you are attached don't sell the male. where do you trade in cats at? lol

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Oh Daniel those are hard decisions to make. All I know when I face things like this is what is most important....short term gain versus long term gain. Sometimes you just have to deal with the immediate, that's just life, but other times it's best to look at the bigger picture. I'm sure you'll end up doing what is best for you and your future bride and your snakes.

~~Jo~~

P.S. Adam if I'd known you'd consider trades I have a 14 year old son I could ship UPS. As long as I stuff in some Doritos and the X-box the kid ain't likely to know he's going anywhere! I'd also include the 4 year old son in a package deal but he's still sorta cute (well when he's isn't outside peeing on the trees in front of the neighbours that is!).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

oh adam i cannot believe you didn't take the offer for the "rad" snowboard. what were you thinking!?!

-----------------------

daniel, if it makes you feel any better i did consider how far i would drive to meet you in order to pick up your bps and i am somewhat sort-of occassionally normal. i think. ok maybe not but at least maybe a little less odd that those who have contacted you so far.

but honestly if i were you i wouldn't sell them, especially the female. she will be very valuable to you when you begin your breeding projects. if you are going to sell them just to buy a replacement in the near future than why sell them at all? if it is to fund the purchase of a het hypo male then you should think about two things: 1. you can save up money to purchase this het male while your new het female is still growing and maturing enough to be ready for breeding; 2. a hatchling male can be ready to breed within one year so you may easily be able to save, purchase and raise this male in the time that it will take for your female to be ready to go.

i know it can be hard to make these decisions. i have (briefly) considered selling one or more of my bps recently due to financial reasons but then i always smack myself in the face and wonder what the heck i was thinking. i know i would regret it later and i know i am also very attached to my animals whether i realize it or not (even little tina who would rather bite my arm off than have me enter into her enclosure for any reason ). i would rather deal with hardships in other areas then to sell an animal i have now, have to later replace it and then play catch up. it's worth it to me to find other alternatives.

i wish you luck in deciding what is best for you. and by the way, while both of your snakes are gorgeous, if the female looked like the male i would be driving to your house right now. something about him turns me on big time
    - Emily

Thanks

oh and Forrest...I'll see your bid and raise you the "treasures" lost in the bottom of my purse....

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

You guys ROCK!!!

And Jo, NO TEENAGERS!!! Whaddya think I'm nuts? ... LMAO

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

I have 2 teenagers and a pre-teen! I AM NUTS!

LMAO

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Just an update....

I took down the ad. I actually can't believe I was thinking of selling my bps I don't know how you breeders can ever let any go
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp