Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question First baby ball!

So I'm going to be getting my first baby ball python soon and I've been wondering if I can keep him in a 40g breeder as a baby as well? I've read everywhere that babies will get stressed. But they don't have that in the wild so why should it matter in captivity? Anyway, just seeing about that so i don't need a smaller cage while he's growing as well. Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: First baby ball!

I'm also going to be getting a baby ball python soon and everyone that I've asked online and at local reptile shops have said its totally fine to keep them in a 40 even 60g tank there whole lives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

40 gallon is really to large for a baby. You can clutter it up as much as possible but that would be a lot of space to reduce. The reason why they get stressed in open spaces is because when out in the open they are more likely to be prayed upon. It doesn't matter if a snake is captive bred or in the wild, they will have the same reaction to open spaces. They will want to move to a dark tight spot where a predator can't get to them. If it's a baby I would recommend starting off in tubs since they are inexpensive and you can upsize easily as your BP grows.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Depends if you want to take the chance of having feeding issues and other stress related problems??
    When you say baby I think hatchling, under 500g and a 6qt shoebox tub is perfect.

Thanks
    It just sometimes seems that the only reason that everybody does that is so breeders/what not, are able to keep so many cheaply housed. Who actually knows that "that" stresses out hatchlings?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley136 View Post
    It just sometimes seems that the only reason that everybody does that is so breeders/what not, are able to keep so many cheaply housed. Who actually knows that "that" stresses out hatchlings?
    Well when they don't eat there's a reason. You are talking about a animal that spends 90% of it's life in termite mounds. Living in the tunnels that the termites have made for venting the mound. They are quite happy in very confined spaces

And just to touch on the cheaply housed have you priced a rack system a cheap rack is $600-$1200 nothing cheap about a rack. Tho they save space when compared to glass tanks
    Last edited by StillBP; 05-17-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-18-2017),PitOnTheProwl (05-17-2017)

Thanks

Im not a breeder but I've followed a gameplan with my new BP and have had no issues with it. The advice that is given is based on a lot of keepers putting time in learning the best ways to keep Ball Pythons and passing that knowledge on to new keepers in order to minimize issues and keep the animal healthy. You can put a BP Hatchling in the largest enclosure you can find but if it's not done right, you will have a lot of issues and your snake won't be healthy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmocken For This Useful Post:

StillBP (05-17-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Who actually knows that "that" stresses out hatchlings?
    Experienced keepers and breeders.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-17-2017),StillBP (05-17-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My two cents:

You'll learn pretty quickly who the knowledgeable and experienced keepers are, listen to them. They've put years of time, energy, research and money into this hobby. There's a reason that these people are successful keeping and breeding these animals.

If you're on here asking questions, listen to the answers you get from the people who have been there and done that.

The people who are offering their time and willing to share their knowledge are doing it because they are passionate about this hobby. Why bother asking questions if you're not going to apply what you're learning?

Not everything is set in stone, nor is there only one way to do things. However, there are proven methods for success.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    All I meant by cheaply housed is not breeders but people that keep them in regular Rubbermaids. Those are cheap. And I'm not trying to rip on anybody, I just like being thorough is all. If I'm wondering something I'll ask, that's it lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast