Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

1 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Adopted sickly python

Quote Originally Posted by gplegend11 View Post
    I feel so sad for this guy.

went into a local pet store where I got my first ball python a while back. Noticed how small the python they still had was because mine has over doubled in weight since I got him.

i scrutinized and asked a lot of questions to find out that they didn't even know when they got him but it was no sooner than December, if not before that... I figure they got him in at 1-2 months old. That would make him 7-8 months or perhaps even older.

i was angry about his conditions he was living in. No uth, very low humidity, no hide, and severe eating problems.

it took over a month, talking with multiple managers, repeated phone calls, and then finally telling them I was going to contact the attorney general and report animal neglect, and they FINALLY adopted him out to me for free.

i wasn't going to pay because he is a "fancy" BP that they had priced at 120$ Which is ridiculous.

he is now safe and warm in a very secure little container and will hopefully feel safe enough to eat in a week. I weighed him before he went into his enclosure.... the poor guy is only about sixty grams!!!!

I want to say..... THANK YOU to you guys here and the help you have given me. Thanks to you I am confident I can nurse this guy back to health and give Him a happy, comfortable, stress free life 👍🏼

Btw, I got my first one like 2 or 3 months ago I think.... this is my third one now lol!

i want you guys to see these pictures but I don't know how to attach them. If someone tells me how I will show a few pictures of how skinny this poor guy is.
    First off, awesome on you for getting that done and rescuing the poor guy!!!

There was a beautiful little guy/girl at my local big box store a few weeks ago who was looking real bad. He was super thin, obviously dehydrated and starting what I knew would be a horrible shed. I talked to the employee and pointed out what was obviously wrong with the poor snake. He said the woman who usually does snake maintenance was in the next day and he would leave her a note...

Well, fast forward almost two weeks and I was back in the store and wanted to check on the snake, hoping I would be told he had shed, eaten and gone to a good home. No dice, he was still there, and worse off than before. I spoke to the woman who does the snake maintenance and she said he was just going into shed. He had shed all but his head and eyecaps!!! There was shed skin in the enclosure!!! And I had been in there two weeks prior!!! I was pretty ticked off at this point and told her she needs to get that snake a soak and a damp towel and help with his head/eyes. I showed her the dents in the eyes and explained to her how badly dehydrated this poor thing was. She immediately brought him out back for a soak and came back out a few minutes later and told me she got the eye caps off. I suggested she get that poor snake some water and a wet meal. She said she would...

This was about two weeks ago. I'm going back there tomorrow. I'm hoping this animal is doing much better.
    but...I'm skeptical.

If the snake doesn't look any better I may try to do what you did. Any pointers or advice on how I may be able to rescue this animal without financially contributing to their neglect?

Thanks

I didn't want to soak him due to that but I do think it helped, I didn't see if he drank though. I am not going to soak again but his humidity stays 60-75 right now.

Friday will be a full week in his enclosure and I really was thinking to wait until then so I don't screw it all up by trying too soon... I know he needs food but potentially if I try too soon and he rejects, that could make it worse. I'll try tonight if the veterans here think I should though...

potential problem is, they would always try to feed him in a separate enclosure and it was a f/t mouse fuzzy. i am going to feed him in his enclosure but I wonder if that switch will make a difference to how receptive he is. Or if I switch from a fuzzy to a hopper, even though it's more appropriAtely sized he has never seen that size.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

I didn't want to soak him due to that but I do think it helped, I didn't see if he drank though. I am not going to soak again but his humidity stays 60-75 right now.

Friday will be a full week in his enclosure and I really was thinking to wait until then so I don't screw it all up by trying too soon... I know he needs food but potentially if I try too soon and he rejects, that could make it worse. I'll try tonight if the veterans here think I should though...

potential problem is, they would always try to feed him in a separate enclosure and it was a f/t mouse fuzzy. i am going to feed him in his enclosure but I wonder if that switch will make a difference to how receptive he is. Or if I switch from a fuzzy to a hopper, even though it's more appropriAtely sized he has never seen that size.
    Ok, normally I would say repeat the exact prey item and method of feeding that was being used when you got him and then work at changing later. However, unless you saw this animal eat I would not believe it. He has not eaten much. So, its kind of up to you what method to try first. Once again, the animal must eat. Read that as you see fit. Hopefully he makes life easy for you, if not feel free to PM me or another one of the experienced people on here that can walk you through what needs to happen.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (05-17-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    First off, awesome on you for getting that done and rescuing the poor guy!!!

There was a beautiful little guy/girl at my local big box store a few weeks ago who was looking real bad. He was super thin, obviously dehydrated and starting what I knew would be a horrible shed. I talked to the employee and pointed out what was obviously wrong with the poor snake. He said the woman who usually does snake maintenance was in the next day and he would leave her a note...

Well, fast forward almost two weeks and I was back in the store and wanted to check on the snake, hoping I would be told he had shed, eaten and gone to a good home. No dice, he was still there, and worse off than before. I spoke to the woman who does the snake maintenance and she said he was just going into shed. He had shed all but his head and eyecaps!!! There was shed skin in the enclosure!!! And I had been in there two weeks prior!!! I was pretty ticked off at this point and told her she needs to get that snake a soak and a damp towel and help with his head/eyes. I showed her the dents in the eyes and explained to her how badly dehydrated this poor thing was. She immediately brought him out back for a soak and came back out a few minutes later and told me she got the eye caps off. I suggested she get that poor snake some water and a wet meal. She said she would...

This was about two weeks ago. I'm going back there tomorrow. I'm hoping this animal is doing much better.
    but...I'm skeptical.

If the snake doesn't look any better I may try to do what you did. Any pointers or advice on how I may be able to rescue this animal without financially contributing to their neglect?

Yes perhaps, I actually have quite a lot of experience in dealing with corps and business in situations that seem unable to be resolved. as you know the corporate world can be hit or miss for you to find help but you could try a few things. Here's basically what I did....

first thing, when you go in next just say that you are interested in the snake and would like for them to check the records for you to see what the date is for when they got him in, as well as the dates of the previous couple months he ate( both by himself or forced).

Look at his enclosure and make note of everything that is unhealthy for the snake. (Uth system? Humidity levels, temperature, where the thermometer is, kind of hide, lamp placement).
    ex:mine had no uth, and the cheapest of thermometers was placed directly under the lamp, 30% humidity, and an open half bark hide.

Then I would Talk with the department manager and tell them the snake is on the verge of being too sickly to sell and it is a good advocate for their adoption program. You may have to literally use that term.

I don't want to use the specific store name, but I had to ask many different people and many times of what it would take for them to give me the snake for free due to its condition. Each person said they never do that until the animal outgrows its enclosure( which obviously it will die from neglect before it grows because it won't eat).

Finally the "adoption program" term came up which is of course when they give the animal to someone for free for one reason or another. Most likely the department manager can make the decision. Just be ready to explain why they NEED to allow you to adopt him. These are a few things I said....

1- present his age, his eating habits, and a good judgement of his size compared to what he should be(because you already asked them this info earlier), and how it proves that soon he will die or not be able to be sold.

2- present everything wrong with his enclosure and how it effects his health, how the purpose of the enclosure is designed to be TEMPORARY, and how it leads to the stress which causes him not to eat.

3- present your knowledge and background on the species and how very soon they will have a sick snake to deal with and they will not be able to sell it. If they let you have it, you can help to nurse him to full health and they will get to order a new completely healthy snake.

They may tell you they would have to ask their regional manager for approval or to see what the options are. The good news is that due to the nature of customer service, they will have to hear you out.

Basically, present your case that lets them know you care, you know there is animal negligence going on, and that they WILL adopt him out to you and no is not an acceptable answer(in a polite way). Of course, the longer he has been there and the smaller he is in ratio to his age/weight the more serious it is.

combine the information they give you about him, your observations, and your expertise. If then you truly believe he is in danger, you absolutely have the right to tell them they are required to adopt him out.

last option, if they really refuse, tell them okay and that you will be contacting the attorney generals office about this illegal action of animal negligence and they will need to let the store/regional manager know that they will be hearing from a representative from the attorney generals office in a couple days. Then let me know and I can hook you up with how to input your case to the attorney generals office.

it is a free lawyer appointed to your submitted case that looks at your submission and then contacts the business to question them. Business hate being contacted because each time It is recorded and they could be fined or have a bad business rating, so just the term attorney general has worked a couple times for me. I have used them 3 times against different companies when I did not like their actions towards me, and they have taken care of it in my favor within a few days to a week each time. 👍🏼

That's at least how I did it, Good luck!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-17-2017),the_rotten1 (05-17-2017)

Thanks

i am going to feed him in his enclosure but I wonder if that switch will make a difference to how receptive he is. Or if I switch from a fuzzy to a hopper, even though it's more appropriAtely sized he has never seen that size.
    Poor thing is very very skinny. I'd stick with a fuzzy so it's easier on his system. If you can get a live one, I'd probably go for that so he's more likely to accept. I'd also make sure to check on his hydration before you try to feed him. You can use the same skin tenting method as on pretty much everything. Feeding a severely dehydrated animal will kill it.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Banned
    Thanks

Yes perhaps, I actually have quite a lot of experience in dealing with corps and business in situations that seem unable to be resolved. as you know the corporate world can be hit or miss for you to find help but you could try a few things. Here's basically what I did....

first thing, when you go in next just say that you are interested in the snake and would like for them to check the records for you to see what the date is for when they got him in, as well as the dates of the previous couple months he ate( both by himself or forced).

Look at his enclosure and make note of everything that is unhealthy for the snake. (Uth system? Humidity levels, temperature, where the thermometer is, kind of hide, lamp placement).
    ex:mine had no uth, and the cheapest of thermometers was placed directly under the lamp, 30% humidity, and an open half bark hide.

Then I would Talk with the department manager and tell them the snake is on the verge of being too sickly to sell and it is a good advocate for their adoption program. You may have to literally use that term.

I don't want to use the specific store name, but I had to ask many different people and many times of what it would take for them to give me the snake for free due to its condition. Each person said they never do that until the animal outgrows its enclosure( which obviously it will die from neglect before it grows because it won't eat).

Finally the "adoption program" term came up which is of course when they give the animal to someone for free for one reason or another. Most likely the department manager can make the decision. Just be ready to explain why they NEED to allow you to adopt him. These are a few things I said....

1- present his age, his eating habits, and a good judgement of his size compared to what he should be(because you already asked them this info earlier), and how it proves that soon he will die or not be able to be sold.

2- present everything wrong with his enclosure and how it effects his health, how the purpose of the enclosure is designed to be TEMPORARY, and how it leads to the stress which causes him not to eat.

3- present your knowledge and background on the species and how very soon they will have a sick snake to deal with and they will not be able to sell it. If they let you have it, you can help to nurse him to full health and they will get to order a new completely healthy snake.

They may tell you they would have to ask their regional manager for approval or to see what the options are. The good news is that due to the nature of customer service, they will have to hear you out.

Basically, present your case that lets them know you care, you know there is animal negligence going on, and that they WILL adopt him out to you and no is not an acceptable answer(in a polite way). Of course, the longer he has been there and the smaller he is in ratio to his age/weight the more serious it is.

combine the information they give you about him, your observations, and your expertise. If then you truly believe he is in danger, you absolutely have the right to tell them they are required to adopt him out.

last option, if they really refuse, tell them okay and that you will be contacting the attorney generals office about this illegal action of animal negligence and they will need to let the store/regional manager know that they will be hearing from a representative from the attorney generals office in a couple days. Then let me know and I can hook you up with how to input your case to the attorney generals office.

it is a free lawyer appointed to your submitted case that looks at your submission and then contacts the business to question them. Business hate being contacted because each time It is recorded and they could be fined or have a bad business rating, so just the term attorney general has worked a couple times for me. I have used them 3 times against different companies when I did not like their actions towards me, and they have taken care of it in my favor within a few days to a week each time. 👍🏼

That's at least how I did it, Good luck!
    Awesome!! Thank you so much for all the info. I really hope I get there and see a healthier snake than what I saw the last two times I was there.
    I'll be sure to share any worthwhile news.
    Fingers crossed...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (05-18-2017)

Thanks

Well it looks like we got an eater!!!! Not only did he strike very quickly when I moved it a bit in front of his hide but he shot out like a bullit and wrapped that sucker up. Woohoo! He took that mouse more enthusiastically than I have ever seen my other two do. I'm hoping he continues with that habit lol.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

Atsirk15 (05-21-2017),bcr229 (05-18-2017),BPGator (05-19-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-18-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-19-2017),Kcl (05-19-2017),L.West (06-02-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-19-2017),tttaylorrr (05-19-2017),Zincubus (05-18-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Awesome! I'm glad he ate!!

...the snake was no longer at the store when I got there today...

Thanks
    Great rescue story!

I noticed Pet stores are keeping new-born babies on a rare feeding schedule, cause until it is small it`s easier to sell. I think this should not be a reason for not feeding a snake. On the other side if it reaches the adult size, a breeder might see an opportunity and will buy it.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Well it looks like we got an eater!!!! Not only did he strike very quickly when I moved it a bit in front of his hide but he shot out like a bullit and wrapped that sucker up. Woohoo! He took that mouse more enthusiastically than I have ever seen my other two do. I'm hoping he continues with that habit lol.
    I am very glad to hear he ate easily. Saves you from having to do it the hard way. He's got the will to live so he will probably recover quickly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast