Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,499

2 members and 3,497 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    He's really well known and seems very passionate. It's a large operation and there are always risks with that. I personally wouldn't buy from the company simply because I didn't agree with the way he/the staff keep or kept their ATBs but that's just my personal bias. /shrug
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Like another poster mentioned, my first and only ball python is also from BHB I've had her since February and haven't had any issues, plus she has never missed a meal! (Even when I switched her over to rats). Another plus is that she was actually even more beautiful in person than in her photos.

However, lately I've heard a lot of negative things about Brian and his business. He has A LOT of animals in his facility and that's not always a good thing. So just be sure to do lots of research on breeders that you are interested in and only go with a breeder that you feel really confident in.
    Last edited by Kira; 05-13-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: Is BHB a quality breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Like another poster mentioned, my first and only ball python is also from BHB I've had her since February and haven't had any issues, plus she has never missed a meal! (Even when I switched her over to rats). Another plus is that she was actually even more beautiful in person than in her photos.

However, lately I've heard a lot of negative things about Brian and his business. He has A LOT of animals in his facility and that's not always a good thing. So just be sure to do lots of research on breeders that you are interested in and only go with a breeder that you feel really confident in.

If he has a lot now I wonder what it was before he downsized. He has a smaller building and less animals according to several interviews. I also heard from the breeder I got mine from that Brian had downsized. From looking at the videos it does still seem like a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bmocken View Post
    If he has a lot now I wonder what it was before he downsized. He has a smaller building and less animals according to several interviews. I also heard from the breeder I got mine from that Brian had downsized. From looking at the videos it does still seem like a lot.
    Hopefully he actually has downsized. It's hard to keep up with quality control when you have thousands of animals. In the past I've seen several large snakes (burmese pythons I believe?) kept in pretty small spaces...like they didn't even have enough room to fully uncoil and stretch out. Well maybe he has learned and is doing better now!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Brian also was the first breeder I talked to. He is very personable. He responds to my messages. I love his Vlog as well. Keep in mind there is one person who has started a crap storm about him and basically stalks him. He cares for people and his animals. I have looked up reviews on him, the BBB also and people are pleased with his snakes. He is a good guy and yes I would absolutely support him!!! He is a leader in the industry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Hopefully he actually has downsized. It's hard to keep up with quality control when you have thousands of animals. In the past I've seen several large snakes (burmese pythons I believe?) kept in pretty small spaces...like they didn't even have enough room to fully uncoil and stretch out. Well maybe he has learned and is doing better now!
    He mainly downsized in the colubrid area.Over half his collection was colubrids.I think he stated once he has now 12,000 animals in his collection down from around 30,000
    I bought from him in the past. wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I live a few miles from him, my wife worked for him for a little bit, I have many friends who have worked for him. I don't have any proof of many issues and things I don't agree with, but ive either witnessed or have what I consider reliable sources, enough for me to never feel good about buying another animal from him. Many of my collection came from him, two did have mites show up after a couple days. The mite issues are annoying but have no bearing over my decision to never buy from him again.

However there are public controversies with him you can look up for yourself, his phone and social media accounts being hacked of some kind, revealing very "personal" photos of him, his wife, employees, and female hobbyist. Impling very heavily he is not monogamous and likes using his celebrity status. However personal issues don't speak to a person's ability to care for animals, sure doesn't look good for a celebrity in our hobby.

The way he keep his animals is criticize​d, Satan being the most famous target and this one particular snake I will 100% defend Brain on, as being to his facility multiple times and seeing how the snake acted, I would of done exactly what he did for the snakes safety. Keeping Satan in the enclosure he did was the right move. The rest of the criticism I would call debatable

You can follow his transparency with the scaleless project up until a certain point, then the female has never been seen again. This alarmed many people and Brian refused to answer questions even to people who invested heavily in the project.

His qualification for dealing with venomous and being a face for hots to the world has been a hot topic also.

The way they antagonize snakes on his show has been criticized as long as snakebytes has been around.

The choice is up to you. Your title asks if he is a quality breeder, which is completely an opinion, personally I would say no, not imo.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Aste88 (05-16-2017),Monty44 (05-25-2017),redshepherd (05-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I live a few miles from him, my wife worked for him for a little bit, I have many friends who have worked for him. I don't have any proof of many issues and things I don't agree with, but ive either witnessed or have what I consider reliable sources, enough for me to never feel good about buying another animal from him. Many of my collection came from him, two did have mites show up after a couple days. The mite issues are annoying but have no bearing over my decision to never buy from him again.

However there are public controversies with him you can look up for yourself, his phone and social media accounts being hacked of some kind, revealing very "personal" photos of him, his wife, employees, and female hobbyist. Impling very heavily he is not monogamous and likes using his celebrity status. However personal issues don't speak to a person's ability to care for animals, sure doesn't look good for a celebrity in our hobby.

The way he keep his animals is criticize​d, Satan being the most famous target and this one particular snake I will 100% defend Brain on, as being to his facility multiple times and seeing how the snake acted, I would of done exactly what he did for the snakes safety. Keeping Satan in the enclosure he did was the right move. The rest of the criticism I would call debatable

You can follow his transparency with the scaleless project up until a certain point, then the female has never been seen again. This alarmed many people and Brian refused to answer questions even to people who invested heavily in the project.

His qualification for dealing with venomous and being a face for hots to the world has been a hot topic also.

The way they antagonize snakes on his show has been criticized as long as snakebytes has been around.

The choice is up to you. Your title asks if he is a quality breeder, which is completely an opinion, personally I would say no, not imo.
    Good insight, thanks! I think from your personal experiences, and also some things I've seen regarding his care and treatment of some of the large reptiles, that is also enough for me to say that I wouldn't buy from him.

Being THAT large of a breeder, of course there is the higher likelihood of bad reviews and crap happening. Sometimes life happens, accidents happen. But once there is known undisclosed information about deceased animals, injured animals who quietly get switched out for a new animal, even one or two cases, it's enough for me to not support. And those who have had a poor experience with a seller does not immediately make them "a hater".
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-13-2017 at 09:27 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Kira (05-13-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-14-2017)

Thanks

I purchased a female albino bp from brian several years ago. My experience with brian was great. He supplied the np a promised, she was mite free, disease free and just a beautiful albino.

In my situation, Brian met me at a prearranged location to deliver her since I'm in Michigan also.

No complaints from me.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (05-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post

His personal life and or relationship with his wife have no bearing on his ability to be a quality breeder and that is what the OP question was.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bmocken For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (05-15-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-14-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-25-2017),kxr (05-16-2017),L.West (05-16-2017),moonlightgdess (05-14-2017),TerrieL (06-11-2017),tttaylorrr (05-14-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast