Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: state laws

Thanks

state laws

I've been googling and googling but I can't find a site that will tell me specifically what snake we can and cannot own in the state of Michigan. The only thing I found was a thing on wolf-dogs and one article about black ratsnakes being illegal to keep as pets here.

Isn't there some sort of database out there on this. How would petstores and breeders know which snake they can sell dependent on their particular state's regulations?

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: state laws

It is a pain to find out the laws. You can e-mail or call the local/state government offices to find out. Don't forget to check your county and city laws as well.

I found a venomous laws site: http://www.coastalreptiles.com/venomous_laws.htm According to that, no permit is required for venomous snakes in Michigan. It wouldn't make sense to ban large constrictors while you allow venomous without a permit.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Thanks

One of the best ways to find out herp laws in your area is to contact a local herp society or check out there website if they have one. If not, call the State Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries....Some of them also have herp laws on their sites.

Hope that helps
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Thank you all so much. I'll be doing a lot of reading from all the link you've helped me find. As well, we are going to purchase a family membership to the Michigan Herpetological (sp?) Society so I'll use them as a resource to if we ever are unsure of a snake we wish to buy.

Gotta love this forum. You've saved my enquiring mind hours more of googling!

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Here is another link that will tell you by city and state laws for all animals banned. http://www.api4animals.org/375.htm. I do want to state that it does need some updating because a new law was passed here in Denver banning pitbulls (Ban was put in effect last month) and it was not listed but It does have a 2005 copyright at the bottom.
    4est
    1 adult male Ball Python (King Tut), 1 adult Female Corn Snake (Cleopatra), 1 juvenile Green Two-Tailed Iguana (Tommy Two-tails), 1 Common Boa(Ghengis Kahn)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks to the first link, I just found out that you can't own corn snakes in Georgia (not that I want to own one). You can own venemous (sp?) indiginous snakes, but not non venemous indiginous snakes, even if they are captive bred and/or purchased out of state. But Kashmire is legal! I would think since PetCo sells BP's in GA that they would be legal, but you can never be too sure without checking!

Thanks for bringing up this subject, Jo!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest
    Here is another link that will tell you by city and state laws for all animals banned. http://www.api4animals.org/375.htm. I do want to state that it does need some updating because a new law was passed here in Denver banning pitbulls (Ban was put in effect last month) and it was not listed but It does have a 2005 copyright at the bottom.
    Well phooey! Georgia is not listed. I even checked out Georgia DNR last night (thanks Jo for kicking in my obsessiveness too! I really enjoyed it at 1 in the morning knowing I had to be up at 5!)

Thanks

No problemo Robin, happy to see another BP-OCD victim join our happy lil club hehehehehehe.

Just wait till dear ole Daniel gets you hooked on checking out breeder sites. I can now add a required fix of ooooohhhhh's and ahhhhhhh's and "omg Mike come look at this baby snake...it's freakin AMAZING!" to my To Do List each day.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

that is retard Roscommon County Prohibits private possession of exotic animals MY mom wants to move there. I hope I move in with my girlfriend in Mio before hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast